IGNORED

Retro HQ Lynx Cart Menu 1.4

GadgetUK

Now that's a nice idea! Should be relatively easy to do that I think. Maybe I will add that in at some point.

I meant the 'text file' bit listing cheats and codes etc. Save states I don't think will be possible. Might be possible to load them but tricky I think.

• Like 1

I'd still "kill" for a text-viewer option to see level codes etc.

Orrrrrr a save-state of certain games would even be just as awesome....imagine playing Chips's Challenge without the hassle of having to enter the level code each time :D

Take the "hacked" version with level skip ;-)

• Like 2

I meant the 'text file' bit listing cheats and codes etc. Save states I don't think will be possible. Might be possible to load them but tricky I think.

Wow, thought you'd already seen my idea about this :)

I remember seeing those text-only files for about every Lynx game with tips and tricks and level codes way back in the early 2000's or so....downloaded those from internet and printed them out and had them in my Lynx bag then......but it should be "easy" to have an option to show a file like that from the menu....would be brilliant IMHO :)

Maybe you could use the B-button to select the text-file viewer for the selected game and the A-button to load the game ?

Edited by Level42

WHERE, WHERE, WHERE, WHERE ??? (but even so.....skipping to Level 100+ ? ;)

Not that I have reached that yet....

Did not find the atariage topic anymore, but the links for the video and script which you have to run on your original rom.

http://lynxdev.atari.org/cchc.webm

http://lynxdev.atari.org/c4lynx.pl

http://lynxdev.atari.org/blog/chips.xhtml

Edited by sage
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Can anyone please tell me step by step how to do proper lsd Preview files for the SD-menu?

I know the size must be 160 x 102 in 16 colors. So I make a screenshot with IrfanView from Handy, resize it to 160 x 102 (cut the edges of) and downgrade it to 16 colors. But the utility always says, that I do not use the right file. Looking at the info with IrfanView, the bmp-file I want to make a lsd-file from and the AvP-Preview-Sample-File are exact the same.

So where do I go wrong? Which program should I use to reduce the colors?

I did my lsd files using Gimp and cc65.

From GIMP you choose Image->Indexed

Then you choose 16 colours

Export the result as image.pcx

Open window->palettes

Go to the top of the list to find your image's palette. Export as txt file.

From the palettes txt file you need to type in the palette to the Lynx format. (I have a file palette.s in the attached source for this.)

With the image.pcx and a good palette.s type make and you get image.lsd.

lsd.zip

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@karri: Thank you very much for your description. I get till "Export as txt file"

Is the palettes.s file always the same? And where do I type "make" and which environment do I need therefore? Sorry, I'm not a programmer :/ Could you please explain that a bit slowly for me? Thank you in advance!

You need to install the cc65 tools as described in the Atari Lynx Programming forum. It can be installed to Windows, Linux, RaspberryPi, Android, Mac. After install you have the tools including "make".

The palettes.s is still entered manually. What I do is to export the palette from the image using Gimp->Palettes->export as text.

Then I copy the values manually into palette.s.

When you export a palette from Gimp it looks like this:

karri@swing:~$ cat palette.txt 
#2d2633
#362d2d
#764d4f
#2b6a4c
#b74556
#ea545c
#58a343
#5a96f1
#e78e61
#6bde5f
#65d1fe
#d2df61
#fccad3
#d3e6f0
The values are RGB #2d2633 means RED 2d GREEN 26 BLUE 33
The Lynx palette is different. The order is GBR. So we want this to become GREEN 2 BLUE 3 RED 2
#2d2633 -> 232
#362d2d -> 223
#764d4f -> 447
#525497 -> 595
#2b6a4c -> 642
#b74556 -> 45b
#976839 -> 639
#ea545c -> 55e
#58a343 -> a45
#5a96f1 -> 9f5
#e78e61 -> 86e
#6bde5f -> d56
#65d1fe -> df6
#d2df61 -> d6d
#fccad3 -> cdf
#d3e6f0 -> efd

The Lynx palette is also in two parts. First we write all GREEN values, the all BLUE/RED values
.byte    >$232
.byte    >$223
.byte    <$232
.byte    <$223
Edited by karri
  • Like 1