IGNORED

Intellivision vs Arcade

I live in SoCal and we have this great old school arcade in Anaheim...Arcade 2084. We hit it every month or so to get our 80's arcade game on. They have tons of great games. Have you ever played an arcade version and said to yourself that the Intellivision version is so much better. Burgertime is tops. I think the arcade version kinda stinks. Intellivision Bugertime or Super Chef blow it away! I even can admit D2K is better than Donkey Kong. I get bored with the arcade version and play D2K for hours. Add in Lock-N-Chase to the list as well. Any other contenders?

I live in SoCal and we have this great old school arcade in Anaheim...Arcade 2084. We hit it every month or so to get our 80's arcade game on. They have tons of great games. Have you ever played an arcade version and said to yourself that the Intellivision version is so much better. Burgertime is tops. I think the arcade version kinda stinks. Intellivision Bugertime or Super Chef blow it away! I even can admit D2K is better than Donkey Kong. I get bored with the arcade version and play D2K for hours. Add in Lock-N-Chase to the list as well. Any other contenders?

Hmm... The Arcade version of Lock-N-Chase is much better, with smooth control and motion. There is a D2K ROM hack to the original Donkey Kong arcade game (from which Carl based his), and it's better than the Intellivision version, mostly due to the higher resolution, screen size, and overall technology of the arcade machinery.

As for any other Arcade vs. Intellivision games, I will say that "Thin Ice" is superior to "Disco One" (the game by which it was inspired), even if the mechanics are not as smooth on the Intellivision.

-dZ.

I agree with you. D2K is even more fun than Nintendo's Donkey Kong and Intv's version of BT is the best.

I like Carl's Ms Pacman on Intellivision about equal to Ms. Pacman on the arcade. I also think Space Patrol (LTO) is a really good version of Moon Patrol.

Not sure if these are arcade games but, Ms. Night Stalker is really nice update to Night Stalker, same with Mystic Castle from Intelligentvision.

Now if the Intellivision could add some great shooters.

I prefered Intelllivision Lock'N'Chase to the arcade version; but that might be because its what I was use to. Yeah the control timing could be better but I didn't have a problem with it; I think the 8K version controls worse than the original. Back in the 1980's it was hard to find those Data East games in the arcades, even Burgertime was rare where I was.

I think Intellivision Bump'N'Jump controls better with its 16-direction disc. The only problem is the screen orientation gives you less of the road to see. Snafu is more fun than the old arcade Blockade. Biplanes is just as good as might be better than the arcade although I think Mattel got the controls reversed.

The problem with shooters on the Intellivision is those side buttons make rapid fire games tough.

I think Carl's D2K Arcade (only on Intellivision) is better than Jeff's D2K Arcade with the two screens that Carl changed.

Edited by mr_me

I think that most of the Coleco ports were better than their arcade equivalents.

Really? Ladybug and Mousetrap are rather unplayable on the Intellivision, and the sound is horrible. Horses for courses, I guess.

Personally, we got shafted by many of these arcade 'ports' that definately could have been made with much more quality than were put into the release. Coleco games being the worst of them all. How many of us were sold the ultimate boxed lemon when they ran home with Donkey Kong in hand, slammed it in, turned in on and fell over in total disappointment. Only to be made to feel worse when a friend had the same game on a Colecovision actually look like the real arcade...wtf...

One's I did like:

Carnival

BurgerTime!

Bump N' Jump

Mission X

Space Armada

Loco-Motion is pretty close.

I actually like Bump n Jump on the intellivision better.... But I put a ton of hours in on it....

Colecovision's Lady Bug is pretty darn good! That is... for the colecovision, not the intellivision. Maybe that is what Freewheel was saying?

Loco-Motion is pretty close.

I actually like Bump n Jump on the intellivision better.... But I put a ton of hours in on it....

Colecovision's Lady Bug is pretty darn good! That is... for the colecovision, not the intellivision. Maybe that is what Freewheel was saying?

I love Loco-Motion on the Intellivision, but I didn't know it was an arcade until a few years ago, so I can't compare it. Same with Bump n' Jump.

Personally, I found the Intellivision games by Coleco to be crap, but it is mostly because I didn't own many of them as a child. I can see how others may have fond memories of them, especially since I owned Carnival and played the heck out of it when I was a kid.

I wouldn't say it was better than the arcade, though. Although if you consider that in the early 1980s, playing Intellivision at home was a more accessible experience than spending whatever single-digit quarters you could get your grubby hands on at the local arcade; then yes, the Intellivision versions were better. :)

-dZ.

Intellivision Locomotion adds a panic feature not in the arcade game. I guess you can consider that an improvement; don't know if its better. In the 80s I specifically looked for the arcade versions of LockNchase, Burgertime, MissionX, Locomotion. They were hard to find but I did play all of these arcade versions at that time. Locomotion was the only Intellivision version I couldnt find (knew of it from the 1983 catalog). Of these games I only thought Intellivision MissionX was a little weak.

No Arcade counterpart, but I like Diner much better than Peter Pepper's Ice Cream Factory. I'm tempted to say the Blue Sky Rangers did Burgertime sequels better than Data East, but I haven't played Super Burgertime (the AC one) and the GB Burgertime Deluxe is extremely good.

Edited by BrianC

Hmm... The Arcade version of Lock-N-Chase is much better, with smooth control and motion. There is a D2K ROM hack to the original Donkey Kong arcade game (from which Carl based his), and it's better than the Intellivision version, mostly due to the higher resolution, screen size, and overall technology of the arcade machinery.

As for any other Arcade vs. Intellivision games, I will say that "Thin Ice" is superior to "Disco One" (the game by which it was inspired), even if the mechanics are not as smooth on the Intellivision.

-dZ.

Not the first time you have tried to push your opinion that my games are not worth playing over their arcade counterparts; Interesting that you would use high-resolution as a "sales point". I never knew that higher resolution meant a better game. I wonder why everyone, including you, is then stuck on the Intellivision?

Some people might not lightly brush aside the fact that my games include a plethora of Intellivision-exclusive content; in the case of Ms. Pac-Man as many as 20 additional screens, three playable characters, new food items, tons of new options, etc. -- with D2K, you have the two Intellivision exclusive screens that I created, the three playable characters with distinctive abilities, and the three unused arcade songs and voices.

Some people might constitute those features as being "better". Go figure.

Not the first time you have tried to push your opinion that my games are not worth playing over their arcade counterparts; Interesting that you would use high-resolution as a "sales point". I never knew that higher resolution meant a better game. I wonder why everyone, including you, is then stuck on the Intellivision?

Some people might not lightly brush aside the fact that my games include a plethora of Intellivision-exclusive content; in the case of Ms. Pac-Man as many as 20 additional screens, three playable characters, new food items, tons of new options, etc. -- with D2K, you have the two Intellivision exclusive screens that I created, the three playable characters with distinctive abilities, and the three unused arcade songs and voices.

Some people might constitute those features as being "better". Go figure.

Who pissed on your cereal this morning, dude? I also compared the DK from Coleco to the Arcade and said it felt short. Are you taking offence at that too?

Read it again and understand the context of the comment. For the record, I never said "not worth to play." Where do you get that? Also notice that it doesn't say high resolution as a sales point, but the screen size and the technology as well. You know, the lack of the limitations from the Intellivision console. :roll:

What about when I said this:

I wouldn't say it was better than the arcade, though. Although if you consider that in the early 1980s, playing Intellivision at home was a more accessible experience than spending whatever single-digit quarters you could get your grubby hands on at the local arcade; then yes, the Intellivision versions were better. :)

Does that sound like I am trashing Intellivision games?

I didn't single you out, I offered my opinion in a thread where people were invited to do so: my opinion is that, as a kid, I always preferred to play the arcade games. My opinion is also that, as a kid, I enjoyed the accessibility of being able to play the games on the Intellivision, which I felt was great.

Jesus, have some perspective. We get it, you made an awesome, fantastic, amazing version of Donkey Kong on the Intellivision. It is truly remarkable, and I mean that. Yet, it is Donkey Kong, and it is on the Intellivision. So, I prefer to play them on the arcade, why do you care? I also prefer to play the original Pac-Man on my iCade iPad "cabinet" rather than play Ms. Pac-Man on the Intellivision. Does that matter to you too? :roll:

Is this like when you were complaining that people shouldn't vote for Piggy Bank or Christmas Carol because they were not as good as your own games, or pushed the boundaries of the hardware as you did? As you may see, people have different tastes and opinions.

I'm sure some people like your D2K version better than the arcade. It's not really surprising, but then I accept that people may have different views.

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay

No Arcade counterpart, but I like Diner much better than Peter Pepper's Ice Cream Factory. I'm tempted to say the Blue Sky Rangers did Burgertime sequels better than Data East, but I haven't played Super Burgertime (the AC one) and the GB Burgertime Deluxe is extremely good.

I haven't played Peter Pepper's Ice Cream Factory, but Diner is pretty cool. I like the original Burgertime game better.

Same here.

I also love the Burgertime Intellivision port. It's incredible.

The Intellivision version of Burgertime is really the best on any console. I like the arcade version better, but the Intellivision version is pretty darn close. :thumbsup:

I prefered Intelllivision Lock'N'Chase to the arcade version; but that might be because its what I was use to. Yeah the control timing could be better but I didn't have a problem with it; I think the 8K version controls worse than the original. Back in the 1980's it was hard to find those Data East games in the arcades, even Burgertime was rare where I was.

I haven't had a chance to try the 8K version. I'll see if I can find a ROM. Personally, the arcade version of Lock 'N' Chase is a little weird and cartoony, and I would prefer the Intellivision version if it weren't for the bad control, which to me make unplayable.

-dZ.

Who pissed on your cereal this morning, dude? I also compared the DK from Coleco to the Arcade and said it felt short. Are you taking offence at that too?

Read it again and understand the context of the comment. For the record, I never said "not worth to play." Where do you get that? Also notice that it doesn't say high resolution as a sales point, but the screen size and the technology as well. You know, the lack of the limitations from the Intellivision console. :roll:

What about when I said this:

Does that sound like I am trashing Intellivision games?

I didn't single you out, I offered my opinion in a thread where people were invited to do so: my opinion is that, as a kid, I always preferred to play the arcade games. My opinion is also that, as a kid, I enjoyed the accessibility of being able to play the games on the Intellivision, which I felt was great.

Jesus, have some perspective. We get it, you made an awesome, fantastic, amazing version of Donkey Kong on the Intellivision. It is truly remarkable, and I mean that. Yet, it is Donkey Kong, and it is on the Intellivision. So, I prefer to play them on the arcade, why do you care? I also prefer to play the original Pac-Man on my iCade iPad "cabinet" rather than play Ms. Pac-Man on the Intellivision. Does that matter to you too? :roll:

Is this like when you were complaining that people shouldn't vote for Piggy Bank or Christmas Carol because they were not as good as your own games, or pushed the boundaries of the hardware as you did? As you may see, people have different tastes and opinions.

I'm sure some people like your D2K version better than the arcade. It's not really surprising, but then I accept that people may have different views.

-dZ.

And people, for the record, simply click on DZ-Jay's profile -> Find Content -> Only Posts to see an overwhelming abundance of posts in which he expresses the "opinion" that ports in general, especially arcade ports, and trying to push the technical limits of the system are somehow ignoble pursuits.

At the same time, he is guilty of continuous and shameless self-praise, feeling that his "well, polished gem" of a game gives him authority to be disrespectful and dismissive of other people's work (not just mine), taking jabs at D2K and Ms. Pac-Man when it suits him.

And, for that same record, I never made a single negative comment about Piggy Bank, nor complained that Ms. Pac-Man did not win. I was grateful for the number of votes it did get; there were many other great titles that year to compete with.

My advice is to learn a little humility, stop trying to push your opinions on others (which suggests insecurity on your part), and let people program (or play) whatever kind of games they wish to. Not all of us are in here for the same reasons; it's not all a popularity contest. Some people program the games that they would like to play, personally, no matter how inaccessible they may prove to be among the general crowd.

I'll say no more on this. Check dZ's posts and you'll see that I am not overreacting.

Carl

Edited by Carl Mueller Jr

And people, for the record, simply click on DZ-Jay's profile -> Find Content -> Only Posts to see an overwhelming abundance of posts in which he expresses the "opinion" that ports in general, especially arcade ports, and trying to push the technical limits of the system are somehow ignoble pursuits.

At the same time, he is guilty of continuous and shameless self-praise, feeling that his "well, polished gem" of a game gives him authority to be disrespectful and dismissive of other people's work (not just mine), taking jabs at D2K and Ms. Pac-Man when it suits him.

And, for that same record, I never made a single negative comment about Piggy Bank, nor complained that Ms. Pac-Man did not win. I was grateful for the number of votes it did get; there were many other great titles that year to compete with.

My advice is to learn a little humility, stop trying to push your opinions on others (which suggests insecurity on your part), and let people program (or play) whatever kind of games they wish to. Not all of us are in here for the same reasons; it's not all a popularity contest. Some people program the games that they would like to play, personally, no matter how inaccessible they may prove to be among the general crowd.

I'll say no more on this. Check dZ's posts and you'll see that I am not overreacting.

Carl

The kettle is calling. :roll:

Go ahead and insult me. People can read my posts as much as they like, I have nothing to hide. In fact, I'll make it easy: here's the link. And while they are at it, they can see my actual contributions to the community on record and judge my comments in the proper context.

I do not believe myself an authority on anything except of my own opinions, which I share openly in this forum, just like anybody else.

Oh, and speaking of insecurities, who's the one who requires constant positive reinforcement and praise, lest he takes his ball and go home? The one who seems to get annoyed when someone wants to resell his game after playing it once? Yes, talk about overreacting. :roll:

You are a very talented programmer, but you need to grow up and learn to deal with your personal issues.

Edited by DZ-Jay

Wow DZ I don't know what your issue is with the Intellivision community but you even want to cause strife with the best, upstanding and well respected members of the group here.

Your BS is obvious to many, but I don't know what your vendetta is with many here, and/or why. I am glad I cleared out any Christmas Carol items I had, they are tainted by spite and anger. :_( :thumbsdown:

• Like 1

I don't know if you can blame DZ for this one....

"

-dZ."

I guess you can take the what he is saying, you know, the device specifically designed to play this one game,is better suited to play this game than a multi-purpose device designed years earlier...

with limitations on actual screen resolution and orientation as some sort of insult.

But this is just my opinion as to what dZ was saying. I think Carl took what he was saying completely differently.

I know dZ has stated over and over that original games vs arcade conversions are what he would like to see and is in the tradition of the intellivision. ( I do agree with this for the most part. )

But I also think it is great to see the limits PUSHED on this old system, doing things we HOPED for as kids, that we didn't get to see for various reasons.

I am grateful to see cool original games as well as arcade conversions we can be proud of! The $hit I would get from my friends over Coleco's DK.... Totally vindicated thanks to Carl's efforts!

It is somewhat scary to me, we ALL have the Intellivision and gaming in common, yet we can't even get along in this forum! Can you imagine if we didn't have shit in common?

Coleco would still be in business if they released Carl's version of DK! Million+ would have sold. They could have save a ton of money not building more colecovisions!!!! LOL

• Like 1

I don't know if you can blame DZ for this one....

"

-dZ."

I guess you can take the what he is saying, you know, the device specifically designed to play this one game,is better suited to play this game than a multi-purpose device designed years earlier...

with limitations on actual screen resolution and orientation as some sort of insult.

But this is just my opinion as to what dZ was saying. I think Carl took what he was saying completely differently.

I know dZ has stated over and over that original games vs arcade conversions are what he would like to see and is in the tradition of the intellivision. ( I do agree with this for the most part. )

But I also think it is great to see the limits PUSHED on this old system, doing things we HOPED for as kids, that we didn't get to see for various reasons.

I am grateful to see cool original games as well as arcade conversions we can be proud of! The $hit I would get from my friends over Coleco's DK.... Totally vindicated thanks to Carl's efforts!

It is somewhat scary to me, we ALL have the Intellivision and gaming in common, yet we can't even get along in this forum! Can you imagine if we didn't have shit in common?

Coleco would still be in business if they released Carl's version of DK! Million+ would have sold. They could have save a ton of money not building more colecovisions!!!! LOL

I think you are reading into what he didn't specifically say and ignoring what he actually said.

This quote by dZ is what I think Carl is pissed off about.

"There is a D2K ROM hack to the original Donkey Kong arcade game (from which Carl based his), and it's better than the Intellivision version, mostly due to the higher resolution, screen size, and overall technology of the arcade machinery."

Carl obviously takes offence over this statement because it assumes that the arcade game is 'better than Intellivision's' simply based on 'higher resolution' and screen size. It ignores the fact that the Intellivision version features stuff that the arcade game 'Jumpman Returns' doesn't have, such as digitized voice, different screens and extra songs that are hidden in the arcade game Donkey Kong. How can you miss this if you played both version? How can you state that the arcade game is better simply due to higher resolution and screen size if you haven't? It makes an assumption that the Intellivision version is inferior.

I think that the Intellivision version of Burgertime is FAR superior to the arcade version of Burgertime that also has 'higher resolution, screen size and better overall technology'. Those things don't make it a better game necessarily.

You said that D2K Jumpman Returns (Hack of Donkey Kong) was 'specifically designed to play this one game'. Not quite.

If you go to the Donkey Kong wiki, you will find this quote.

"As of late 1980 to early 1981, Nintendo's efforts to expand to North America had failed, culminating with the attempted export of the otherwise successful Radar Scope. They were left with a large number of unsold Radar Scope machines, so company president Hiroshi Yamauchi thought of simply converting them into something new. He approached a young industrial designer named Shigeru Miyamoto, who had been working for Nintendo since 1977, to see if he could design such a replacement. Miyamoto said that he could."

The hardware wasn't specifically designed for Donkey Kong. Donkey Kong was specifically designed for the hardware. Nevertheless, I don't think that bringing resolution into the discussion has anything to do with how well the game plays or how fun it is. You give far too much benefit of the doubt as to what he implied.

Twisting truth with statements like this from dZ to Carl tend to rub people the wrong way as well;

"Is this like when you were complaining that people shouldn't vote for Piggy Bank or Christmas Carol because they were not as good as your own games, or pushed the boundaries of the hardware as you did? As you may see, people have different tastes and opinions."

Nowhere did Carl ever say that 'people shouldn't vote for Piggy Bank' because they 'weren't as good as his own games'. Nor did he imply these things, Mixing false accusations with whatever may have been said or implied in the past regarding his game simply tries to paint Carl in a negative light.

The implication that the Intellivision version of D2K Arcade wasn't 'worth playing' is clear to anyone reading his narrative. That I and others understood this when reading it prompted Carl to react, only to have dZ deny that was his intention because he never ever specifically stated as such. And then when Carl says something he gets a 'who pissed in your cereal?' comment.

DZ did, that's who.

This is getting out of hand. I never singled out Carl's game as being "not worth playing." I think William and Carl need to learn the meaning of nuance, that there is a rather large spectrum between "ZOMG!!! THIS IS THE BEST THING EVAH!!!" and "I HATE YOU!!! DIE IN A FIRE!!!"

When people say they only played Ms. Pac-Man once, it does not mean they hated it. When someone provides criticism about a specific feature or part of D2K that they wish would work better, they do not necessarily mean it's crap and worthless. Likewise, when I say that I enjoy playing Donkey Kong on MAME or arcade better, it does not follow that Carl's Intellivision version is crap and is not "worth playing." Those are some rather large leaps in reasoning.

This topic was specifically about Intellivision games vs. their Arcade counterparts, and I thought it was genuinely appropriate to comment on such. DK and D2K are arcade ports on the Intellivision, and I only mentioned them because others had stated that they found them superior, so I posted my opinion as well -- along with many other arcade conversions. It's disingenuous (and frankly, silly) to twist this into some sort of personal attack against Carl.

Like 1980gamer said, yes it's true that I have posted many times how I wish people would make more original games over arcade ports. However, these have been made precisely within the context of conversations on such topic. And even then, I don't invalidate or diminish the effort of porting games, I only wish there was more balance and better representation of originality.

What I do argue against is those who claim that making ports is harder than creating an original game or that character- or story-driven games are worthless in an 8-bit environment; dismissing off-hand the value of creativity and ingenuity and the effort that such an endeavor takes. And unlike my own comments, which somehow get twisted into some sort of dismissal, the repudiation of original creative works has been made explicitly.

And I've stressed many times that my point in such comments is not to elevate my own game (which was a conversion of sorts, as Carl and William never miss an opportunity to point out), but to celebrate and encourage newer works like Whale Hunter, Mermaid, Goat Nom, Piggy Bank, Paddle Party, and any other creative and original game.

And finally, I'll add that, as evidenced by my posting record, I never shy away from an argument and I don't have any qualms in vociferously defending my position or retorting in kind to personal attacks. So, the fact that I am actively denying attacking Carl or singling out his games, should tell you something.

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay

Wow, some serious bad blood in here!

You have to admit this. It is not possible to take a 4x3 resolution and make it a 3x4 without some serious compromises.

Carl does a great job, I actually play his version and the arcade hack pretty often. They are close but not the same. By the way, if they were the same, I'd mostly play the arcade version!

It is hard to compete with the original look and feel. Yes, some added goodies make the intellivision version a must have. Even the similar screen have nuances that make little pieces easier or harder based on what version you are playing. Honestly, I only started playing the Arcade version when I ordered Carl's version. So, some screens I learned from the arcade version first and others on the intellivision first.

I think that may play into some of my (difficulties/quirks) from version to version.

As an outsider to whatever has gone on between all parties, I was not reading DZ's comments with a bad taste in my mouth, and I took what he said completely different.

As for Burgertime, I much prefer the Intellivision version over the arcade. WHY?, simple, I played the intellivision version hundreds maybe thousands of time before ever seeing this game in an arcade.

The arcade version can't make the 3x4 screen do what intellivision's 4x3 screen did. Yes, to me the intellivision is the original version! This is how it is, everything else is a copy of it.

The first version of a song you like is the original, even if some recorded years earlier.... I think it is just how our minds work. ( I usually like the original versions better, even if I didn't hear it first ), just an observation of my friends and acquaintances. In fact, I can't stand remakes that are similar to the original... Why bother? When a remake is re-crafted, different cadence, or stressing different parts etc. I can like multiple versions of a song. But if it is the same cookie cutter thing, blah, not worth the effort.

Then we have a game like Atari 2600 pacman... Most people hated this game because of the compromises made to rotate the 3x4 to 4x3.

I actually liked this game! I never compared it to the arcade version, to me, it was game play similar, but a new maze! The flicker does SUCK though!

I like the path Carl took to get some of the height back in his Ms. Pacman. Very clever, It works well. again, we have all played pacman... It's nothing new, but now we have a ton of additional mazes!

I do want to point out, Carl's Cornering in his version is the closest thing to the arcade I have seen on any console. Most remakes do square cornering, Carl's looks true. Could be my old age, but my eyes seem to see the turns gain a slight advantage over the ghost's? Carl can confirm this I am certain.

Be well EVERYONE! Lets have fun and let the past be the past.

• Like 4