IGNORED

Newer to modding, need some input

dugdigforever

I just bought a couple Dream Gear Mini Arcades. I was thinking about putting a raspberry pi in one. However, i was wondering if i could use the hardware already included to emulate roms? Whats the limitations of the hardware that is included in these machines? Pictures included below.

QuZUjqG.jpg

Don't mind the scratch marks, I was trying to see if i could scratch that off to get more information on the chip.

eIMFO2i.jpg

DC4OQA4.jpg
I'm thinking this obviously is for the input of the peripherals?

Any input would be great! Thank you very much!

• 7 months later...

I don't know about Dream Gear specifically, but my understanding was that all of these micro arcade cabs run firmware based on old cellphones that only do java apps. I'm pretty sure you can add java files by SD card, but that's about it in terms of software.

You could easily modify in the input buttons/gamepad. That's just wiring.

I wouldn't recommend messing with the plastic glob. Removing or damaging the glob will destroy all the transistors that it covers. It's part of the design.

If you wanted to play Genesis games on it, you'd have to find a version where someone ported the game to java. Even then, I have no idea how much ram is on that thing, or how the audio works.

Unless you can find a driver board that matches the model number on the LCD display, using any other hardware with the display is pointless. A Raspberry Pi wouldn't be compatible with any existing hardware. The cabinet, itself, could be useful for housing, though. Please keep us informed if you go the RPi route! :D