IGNORED

Atari Flashback Classics for the XB1/PS4

While the biggest reason the numbers are low is that it's likely most owners of new systems have no interest in retro games, it doesn't help that these aren't available outside the U.S. (I assume, I know I can't get it in Canada).

considering about 20,000+ were sold on steam:

http://steamspy.com/app/400020

thats not bad, but the consoles do lag behind, and yes retro games vary in popularity, the recent dig dug, pac man, galaga, ms pac man all did well.

also, can't you just change your region, and buy whatever game you want on the console?

later

considering about 20,000+ were sold on steam:

http://steamspy.com/app/400020

thats not bad, but the consoles do lag behind, and yes retro games vary in popularity, the recent dig dug, pac man, galaga, ms pac man all did well.

also, can't you just change your region, and buy whatever game you want on the console?

later

Steam often has deep discounts, so that's not surprising. I've bought a lot of games on Steam for a few bucks that I've yet to even open yet.

Yeah, I picked up those Namco games, too, but I wouldn't have if I knew they were 1 player only.

And no, even using a VPN, changing my region stops me from being able to buy anything, even things I can normally buy here, at least on XBL.

Edited by Agamon

When you say this, do you mean the saucers have to destroy all the asteroids? The achievement says " Go an entire level with a score of zero" so I guess the saucers would have to clear the asteroids? If so that would be hard for sure!!

Yup, the UFOs have to clear the asteroids. If you collide with an asteroid, you still get points for killing it. If you collide with a UFO, you get points for killing it. So... fly around without dying while the UFOs hit asteroids 28 times to clear level one with no score. My best so far is six small asteroids left. When there are only a few asteroids left the UFOs can really zero in on you. Not an easy trophy.

Is anyone else from AA going for all the trophies/achievements on these? I still need two trophies on Vol. 1 and eight trophies on Vol. 2.

• Like 1

Steam often has deep discounts, so that's not surprising. I've bought a lot of games on Steam for a few bucks that I've yet to even open yet.

Yeah, I picked up those Namco games, too, but I wouldn't have if I knew they were 1 player only.

And no, even using a VPN, changing my region stops me from being able to buy anything, even things I can normally buy here, at least on XBL.

most of those copies of atari vault were at $20, which is half the price it is now. so it's still significant.

especially since it represents at least 50 times more copies sold.

most namco retro games are all one player, who plays two player anymore? (they aren't online either)..

too bad about the region issue, but why don't you just buy the physical versions?

later

Edited by negative1

Is anyone else from AA going for all the trophies/achievements on these? I still need two trophies on Vol. 1 and eight trophies on Vol. 2.

I've gone for some of these. I doubt I'll get them all, like you said some are VERY difficult.

most of those copies of atari vault were at $20, which is half the price it is now. so it's still significant.

especially since it represents at least 50 times more copies sold.

most namco retro games are all one player, who plays two player anymore? (they aren't online either)..

too bad about the region issue, but why don't you just buy the physical versions?

later

It's constantly on sale on Steam though, like everything there. It was something like $10 at Christmas.

And it's not that I'm trying to get it, I was just responding to the post that said there aren't many on the leaderboards.

On psnprofiles.com, there are two people who have the platinum on Vol. 1. No one on that site has the platinum for Vol. 2 yet.

The PS4 also shows the 'official' trophy rarity whenever you sync your trophies. The only Vol. 2 trophy that's listed at 0.0% is getting to level 19 in Missile Command. Doesn't look like anyone has all of the Vol. 2 trophies yet...

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I finally picked up both volumes for the Xbox One. Reminds me a lot of Game Room, with a few obvious differences. Even though I have these games in many different ways, I think they are both worth the money. My biggest complaint would be the lack of leaderboards for the 2600 games, but maybe they can remedy that.

I saw the achievement for Stellar Track and I decided to go after it. I never had Stellar Track growing up, in fact I did not get a copy until the very same day I picked up these two compilations last week. I decided I would first get Admiral on the 2600 and once I could do that then I would try it on the Xbox One. Last night I read the manual and today after a quite a few attempts I pulled off the rank of Admiral on original hardware. Next I tried on the current gen and I though I had it, but I got a rank of Commodore! After a few more attempts I succeeded in attaining the rank of Admiral and the "I Own the Quadrant" achievement.

Next I think I will go after the "The Major Gets a Promotion" for Major Havoc, but I want to get it without using the warp.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Any chance we'll learn about the plans for 2017's lineup soon, Bill? Approaching the 12 month anniversary of when the news appeared about this pair of collections.

2017's lineup may not make it out at this point. It may slip to 2018 (Easter timeframe).

• Like 1

I did get both volumes when they were on sale during a PSN holiday sale and look forward to what new collections are in the works.

On a side note, I just bought an LG oled55c6p 4K oled television. Playing the arcade games with a pure black background is amazing! Major Havok, Asteroids, Space Duel, etc are all new experiences with this set. Well worth it!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Vol 1 has only just hit the PS4 here in Australia, can't find Vol 2 on the PS store and Vol 1 only showed as a "you might like", strange how it says (on teh web version of the store) that Vol one came out on the 18th Jan, I certainly haven't seen it there before and check regularly! This won't help with sales.

They showed up on the AUS Xbox store the other week for AU$21.35 each but have yet to hit our stores as a physical release.

Picked up both digitally on Xbone today.

• 2 weeks later...

Atari Vault is four dollars on Bundle Star for the rest of the week. I submitted that as news to Atari Age, but since I don't know if it'll get used, I'll mention it here too. Here's the link.

https://www.bundlestars.com/en/game/atari-vault

Okay, with that out of the way... I'm not thrilled with the way it turned out. Crystal Castles feels slightly off, with sound samples interrupting each other and a lack of variance in pitch. I actually have a trackball, but it doesn't work all that well with Centipede... your ship seems to move at an even speed, unless you pick the "follow the cursor" option, and that doesn't feel right either. Asteroids Deluxe runs pretty well... but the backdrop is TOO LOUD, drowning out the foreground objects and necessitating its removal.

So I think there's room for improvement in this collection. I don't know how similar it is to the Flashback collections on next generation consoles, but I suspect Atari just split the Atari Vault in two and offered them as two separate discs.

Also... I like the 1980s as much as anyone, but can we lose this stupid purple grid aesthetic already? Is that on the Flashback discs too? Everything in pop culture these days looks like a Gen-Xer's Trapper Keeper, and it's getting mighty damn tiresome.

• Like 1

Speaking of Atari Vault...

If you happened to buy ColecoVision Flashback for Windows from AtGames/Direct2Drive last year (there was a nice bundle with Atari, Coleco, Intv)...

they'll give you a Steam key now. Just ask their support nicely. They told me they could also give me the Intellivision key if/when that comes to Steam.

Cool! More ways to play the same games (I am not being sarcastic). More redundant crap... the better....

Yeah, it's the same batch of stuff we have seen before, but it's implemented nicely here. Steam controller, online multiplayer, high resolution art. It's a nice bargain. Don't buy it if you don't agree.

• 3 months later...

The company formerly known as Infogrames has announced that Vol. 3 (includes 50 games) will launch in 2018:

• Atari Flashback Classics Volume 3 (Console, Digital) : Poursuivant la série Atari Flashback volume 1 et volume 2, le volume 3 propose 50 autres jeux emblématiques pour une console. Remasterisé en haute définition, proposant des fonctionnalités multi-joueurs et sociales, ce jeu permet aux fans de continuer de vivre l’âge d’or de la saga des jeux vidéo avec cette nouvelle collection. Sortie prévue en 2017/2018 selon les territoires et le format.

http://www.atari-investisseurs.fr/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/CP-2017-09-26-CP-Strategie-Game-Ataribox-VLAST-OK.pdf

• Like 1