IGNORED

Atari Flashback Classics for the XB1/PS4

How are the first two compilations? I'm thinking of getting them both for the PS4 but no local game stores have them. In fact the one employee says he's never seen one in person. Are they worth hunting down?

When I look through the bargain bin here at Wal-Mart, I always see these. So maybe start your search there?

FWIW- I'll pass on these, but only because I'm not buying any newer consoles. Also don't play much 2600. If a FB had all of the maybe 10 games I still play, I'd probably get one. I do like to see these games still being available for others to play and try. :)

FWIW- I'll pass on these, but only because I'm not buying any newer consoles. Also don't play much 2600. If a FB had all of the maybe 10 games I still play, I'd probably get one. I do like to see these games still being available for others to play and try. :)

they are also on the pc, and for cheaper prices.

later

How are the first two compilations? I'm thinking of getting them both for the PS4 but no local game stores have them. In fact the one employee says he's never seen one in person. Are they worth hunting down?

Pre-owned in Game Stops around here. Nothing special... no need to pay a premium price (there has got to be at least one L@@K! Ultra Ra$E Atari FLashBACk ColLection out there from some dotard on eBay).

• 1 month later...

Sounds like Switch versions may be happening.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/03/atari_flashback_classics_is_due_to_launch_on_the_switch_later_this_year

Any idea when we may learn about the rest of the game lineup for Atari Flashback Classics Volume 3, Bill?

Edited by Atariboy

My big hope for these on the Switch is ad-hoc multiplayer so wifi isn't needed and people at conventions or work can bring their Switches and play against each other with their own screen. It seems possible, given that the multiplayer works pretty well on the Classics for PS4. Yeah, if you want random public grouping there just aren't enough people to find a game, but if you are specifically playing with a friend, it actually works really well.

Since the PS4 doesn't support paddle controllers, I wish they hadn't included those games, or (wishful thinking) release a paddle controller for modern consoles and PC. Theoretically the switch controllers could do a pretty good job of this with tilt controls, if they can fine tune it enough.

My big hope for these on the Switch is ad-hoc multiplayer so wifi isn't needed and people at conventions or work can bring their Switches and play against each other with their own screen. It seems possible, given that the multiplayer works pretty well on the Classics for PS4. Yeah, if you want random public grouping there just aren't enough people to find a game, but if you are specifically playing with a friend, it actually works really well.

Since the PS4 doesn't support paddle controllers, I wish they hadn't included those games, or (wishful thinking) release a paddle controller for modern consoles and PC. Theoretically the switch controllers could do a pretty good job of this with tilt controls, if they can fine tune it enough.

Some of the paddle games can actually be tuned reasonably well for analog controls using the in-game settings. I don't think motion/tilt would be an acceptable substitute for either spinners or properly tuned analog.

Sounds like Switch versions may be happening.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/03/atari_flashback_classics_is_due_to_launch_on_the_switch_later_this_year

Any idea when we may learn about the rest of the game lineup for Atari Flashback Classics Volume 3, Bill?

I don't know the release schedule for marketing, unfortunately. My involvement generally stops with these after setting up the initial game line-ups and providing feedback on UI.

Some of the paddle games can actually be tuned reasonably well for analog controls using the in-game settings. I don't think motion/tilt would be an acceptable substitute for either spinners or properly tuned analog.

True, I've been able to get Breakout playing relatively well with careful use of the analog stick, but it's just not great for me. May well be a me issue, though, as I don't have the best sensitive control over analog sticks, I tend to jam them in a direction.

True, I've been able to get Breakout playing relatively well with careful use of the analog stick, but it's just not great for me. May well be a me issue, though, as I don't have the best sensitive control over analog sticks, I tend to jam them in a direction.

Oh, believe me, I'm 100% an advocate for spinners/paddles, but this can be a reasonable alternative when there are no other options (and just not including them to me is not a good option). While I still struggle with certain games like Breakout even with a tuned analog stick, others, like Warlords, I can generally still enjoy. Nevertheless, I'd kill for a good paddle compatible with either Xbox One or PS4, but it's really not economically viable.

• Like 1

Oh, believe me, I'm 100% an advocate for spinners/paddles, but this can be a reasonable alternative when there are no other options (and just not including them to me is not a good option). While I still struggle with certain games like Breakout even with a tuned analog stick, others, like Warlords, I can generally still enjoy. Nevertheless, I'd kill for a good paddle compatible with either Xbox One or PS4, but it's really not economically viable.

I've mentioned earlier in the thread, you can buy premade ones, or make one yourself if you want to save money, and then buy an adapter:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/253262-atari-flashback-classics-for-the-xb1ps4/page-5?do=findComment&comment=3534730

and spinners, parts, and how-to's:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/253262-atari-flashback-classics-for-the-xb1ps4/page-5?do=findComment&comment=3535659

i have a USB one that with some tweaks on the settings is just as good as an arcade one.

later

According to the Playstation blog, volume 3 will release later this week on the 29th. Will this third volume have a physical release later down the line or is it only digital?

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018/03/23/the-drop-new-playstation-games-for-3-27-2018/

It's both physical and digital. I hope to have some video up on the AtGames social media channels once everything officially hits.

Full lineup

• Adventure II (2600)
  • Air Raiders (2600)
  • Aquaventure (2600)
  • Armor Ambush (2600)
  • Asteroids (5200)
  • Astroblast (2600)
  • Atari Baseball (Arcade)
  • Atari Basketball (Arcade)
  • Atari Football (Arcade)
  • Atari Soccer (Arcade)
  • Avalanche (Arcade)
  • Canyon Bomber (Arcade)
  • Centipede (5200)
  • Countermeasure (5200)
  • Dark Cavern (Night Stalker) (2600)
  • Destroyer (Arcade)
  • Dominos (Arcade)
  • Final Legacy (5200)
  • Fire Truck / Smokey Joe (Arcade)
  • Frog Pond (2600)
  • Frogs and Flies (2600)
  • Holey Moley (2600)
  • International Soccer (2600)
  • Maze Invaders (Arcade)
  • Micro-gammon (5200)
  • Millipede (5200)
  • Miniature Golf (5200)
  • Missile Command (5200)
  • Monte Carlo (Arcade)
  • MotoRodeo (2600)
  • Pool Shark (Arcade)
  • Realsports Baseball (5200)
  • Realsports Basketball (5200)
  • Realsports Football (5200)
  • Realsports Tennis (5200)
  • Realsports Volleyball (5200)
  • Saboteur (2600)
  • Sea Battle 2600)
  • Sky Diver (2600)
  • Space Attack (2600)
  • Star Raiders (5200)
  • Star Strike (2600)
  • Super Breakout (5200)
  • Super Bug (Arcade)
  • Super Challenge Baseball (2600)
  • Super Challenge Football (2600)
  • Sword Fight (2600)
  • Wizard (2600)
  • Xari Arena (5200)
  • Yars' Return (2600)
So that's 21 Atari 2600 games, 16 Atari 5200 games, and 13 arcade games. No real surprises, although I figured Solaris would be here.
Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 3

Will the games with overlays be represented that way, Bill? Destroyer for instance looks great in person, but rather plain with just the game graphics via MAME.

I have not seen the finished product yet myself, so I can't answer that. The assumption is that these will have overlays and any other applicable flourishes, but I really don't know. My involvement after helping hammer out the game list was minimal for this one since the model was already established with the previous two volumes.

I'm frankly curious what the reaction will be to this volume. All things considered, it's far weaker than the first two (and I had to push back against re-use of titles from previous volumes), and I'm not sure how much appeal adding 5200 and older arcade stuff has to the average person. With that said, I'm pleased this is pushing into at least a little new territory, so I hope the reaction/sales is roughly comparable to the first two. I'd like to see more "deep cuts" like this from other companies.

• Like 2

I wasn't sure if you'd know or not, since I know you said you're primarily involved with the initial game lineup and with the UI. But never hurts to ask. :)

I hope it works and AtGames is rewarded since it's nice to see something beyond the typical titles being rereleased. Still missing Night Driver and a few other notables, but as one that has long wanted to see Atari's black & white arcade heritage be represented in a compilation past the vector games, I'm happy.

While I know you can't give a definitive answer with what I'm about to ask, do you think there's any serious roadblock to Atari games popping up here and there in future compilations that aren't dedicated to Atari content? Let's say that there was a game you wanted to see emulated here, but the budget didn't allow for emulating hardware that only enabled that particular game to be included.

But then down the road similar hardware is emulated to include several bigger names from an Atari competitor back in the day, enabling compatibility as a result with that earlier skipped Atari game. Think AtGames might then find a way to sneak the Atari game into a later collection?

I assume not all future volumes will be publisher specific, so an Atari game or two wouldn't go against the theme of such a collection. A lot of good arcade games came from small publishers back in the 80's, including many of the notables from the golden age that have yet to resurface on compilations like the Stern library or the Exidy library.

Edited by Atariboy

While I know you can't give a definitive answer with what I'm about to ask, do you think there's any serious roadblock to Atari games popping up here and there in future compilations that aren't dedicated to Atari content? Let's say that there was a game you wanted to see emulated here, but the budget didn't allow for emulating hardware that only enabled that particular game to be included.

But then down the road similar hardware is emulated to include several bigger names from an Atari competitor back in the day, enabling compatibility as a result with that earlier skipped Atari game. Think AtGames might then find a way to sneak the Atari game into a later collection?

I assume not all future volumes will be publisher specific, so an Atari game or two wouldn't go against the theme of such a collection. A lot of good arcade games came from small publishers back in the 80's, including many of the notables from the golden age that have yet to resurface on compilations like the Stern library or the Exidy library.

Although it's not something you haven't seen before for this first one, I think you'll be happy with the initial non-Atari-centric release in this series as it points to exactly that type of neutral future this can have... I'm not sure when any announcements or leaks will hit, though.

• Like 1