IGNORED

Atari Flashback Classics for the XB1/PS4

Switch might be practical given that Nintendo's platform seems more open ended with unlicensed controllers possible, but I imagine licensing expenses on the Sony and Microsoft sides would make that prohibitively expensive.

Generic USB track-ball/mouse support seems viable though on the XB1 side if these were ever patched to take advantage. While I'm unsure about Sony's stance, Microsoft now allows generic USB keyboards and mouse accessories to be used in XB1 games.

But hard to imagine these being updated to take advantage of that change.

Edited by Atariboy

I might get people yelling at me for this, but would AtGames consider building Atari 2600 joysticks/paddles or Atari 5200 controller with USB for the Switch/XB1/PS4? I think having replica hardware to play some of the games with would be great. And they already have the molds/joysticks in production, would just be changing the connector and maybe programming a board to let the console think it is a regular controller

I think that if anyone were to make a replica 5200 controller with modern connectors, it would have happened by now. A USB version would be neat, especially if it were engineered to fix the flaws with the original. The demand for 5200 (or 8-bit Atari computers) in general has got to be miniscule, though, right?

Switch might be practical given that Nintendo's platform seems more open ended with unlicensed controllers possible, but I imagine licensing expenses on the Sony and Microsoft sides would make that prohibitively expensive.

Generic USB track-ball/mouse support seems viable though on the XB1 side if these were ever patched to take advantage. While I'm unsure about Sony's stance, Microsoft now allows generic USB keyboards and mouse accessories to be used in XB1 games.

I'm a little surprised there's no USB spinner/paddle/jog dial for games. Then again, oddly specific controllers that only work in certain settings ... that kinda killed the flightstick market and this would be even smaller. I remember the Arkanoid Controller for 8-bit Nintendo, and there was a version for the Nintendo DS too. Wouldn't it be nice to have a spinny dial for the PC?

Of course, none of the Atari stuff would support it, because that would require extra contract work to patch it in after the fact. :(

Famicom_vaus.jpg

pa.107585.2.jpg?o3cf1g

solutions for using trackballs, spinners, mice, and more have existed for several years now

on the xbox 360, ps3, xbox one, ps4, etc...

first mention:

--------------

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/253262-atari-flashback-classics-for-the-xb1ps4/page-5?do=findComment&comment=3534730

second mention:

---------------

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/253262-atari-flashback-classics-for-the-xb1ps4/page-13?do=findComment&comment=3634102

basically, i have a USB spinner, a USB trackball, and also joysticks to use...

by the way, none of the in game options (except relative) have much effect

arcade games (only so far)

=====================================

asteroids and asteroids deluxe, space duel - remapped these to buttons on the joystick, all of them play well

centipede, millipede and missile command - using the trackball has resulted in much better play, but still haven't found the best settings for missile command

super breakout, tempest and warlords - spinner, makes a huge difference

and for fun, mapped sprint 2 - spinner, and was actually able to get much higher scores, and finish races

playing with the analog stick, and d-pad is pretty terrible for most of the games, even with the options settings.

there is just no feel for the games, like using better controllers.

i haven't tried messing around with major havoc yet, but that and liberator are coming up also.

===================================

have not tried out the trackball, spinners, etc with vol 3. still tweaking the values for volumes 1/2.

later

Edited by negative1
  • Like 1

Ataribox, or atarivcs, already showed off that pretty cool joystick, why not just bundle that with the AtGames Atari Classics? Although they arlready cost $40, that thing would drive price up to $65 at least. But I would much rather have a great throwback joystick to play on a modern console I already own. And this is not limited to Atari, Intellivision should do the same (bundle controller/games)

Of course, none of the Atari stuff would support it, because that would require extra contract work to patch it in after the fact. :(

Hey, we made an entire Vita version "for fun". We've been known to issue patches on our various games (when allowed) in response to fan requests and even to provide improvements no one ever expected. We're not just in it for the money. :)

But if anyone wants to make a hardware spinner or trackball for the PS4 that doesn't require any patching, the Dualshock 4 touch pad is directly mapped to the trackball/spinner/wheel etc. behaviour, so a controller that mimicked that would get the job done.

• Like 4

Hey, we made an entire Vita version "for fun". We've been known to issue patches on our various games (when allowed) in response to fan requests and even to provide improvements no one ever expected. We're not just in it for the money. :)

But if anyone wants to make a hardware spinner or trackball for the PS4 that doesn't require any patching, the Dualshock 4 touch pad is directly mapped to the trackball/spinner/wheel etc. behaviour, so a controller that mimicked that would get the job done.

Thanks for chiming in, Jeff! Good to know!! I'm tempted to get both the Vita AND the Switch version, just because I like the stuff you make.

And here's hoping for some updated mobile stuff from your company, too.

I think that if anyone were to make a replica 5200 controller with modern connectors, it would have happened by now. A USB version would be neat, especially if it were engineered to fix the flaws with the original. The demand for 5200 (or 8-bit Atari computers) in general has got to be miniscule, though, right?

I'm a little surprised there's no USB spinner/paddle/jog dial for games. Then again, oddly specific controllers that only work in certain settings ... that kinda killed the flightstick market and this would be even smaller. I remember the Arkanoid Controller for 8-bit Nintendo, and there was a version for the Nintendo DS too. Wouldn't it be nice to have a spinny dial for the PC?

Famicom_vaus.jpg

pa.107585.2.jpg?o3cf1g

That DS spinner only works on a handful of games, but boy, does it make all the difference in those games.

["Off Topic" Alert]

And here's hoping for some updated mobile stuff from your company, too.

Yeah, mobile. :_( That would be my "when allowed" caveat. Patching console and Steam doesn't have as much of a barrier to third party developers (i.e. those not in control of the account) as patching mobile.

But beyond that, I think Atari's Greatest Hits was built for iOS 5, before Atari's 2012-2013 bankruptcy? At this point iOS requirements and platforms have moved so far on that -- if it weren't for the need for full-on touch screen support* -- in many ways it'd be easier to port AFC to iOS than "patch" AGH to the current requirements and feature set. We're still waiting to find out what Atari wants to do about it.

Meanwhile, on the Activision side, it doesn't look like the company that sees the kind of revenue they do from Call of Duty saw much value in advancing Activision Anthology or Lost Treasures of Infocom even beyond the 32-bit barrier.

(*don't worry: AFC does support touch screen on devices that have touch screen, but it expects you to at least have a D-pad, stick, and buttons and relegates only things that make sense to touch screen -- i.e. things where touch screen would be an improvement over physical sticks and buttons, such as trackball and driving controllers... basically anything that used the touchpad on PS4.)

• Like 4

Oh cool. So we can use the screen for TouchPad controls in Star Raiders? Looking forward to that.

Regarding mobile, it's been such a long time since AGH, I think many people would be fine with offering AFC as a new purchase. Especially if AGH remained available in the store for those who bought it already.

I'm speaking for myself, as someone who isn't afraid to put a little money into mobile games, of course. I guess it could be subsidized by ads like the Sega Forever apps since I'm probably in the minority for being willing to pay up front.

Oh cool. So we can use the screen for TouchPad controls in Star Raiders? Looking forward to that.

There are two ways to control the Atari 5200 keypad:

1. You can assign any controller button to any Atari 5200 keypad button as a dedicated function.

2. You can summon an on-screen Atari 5200 keypad with the right stick, highlight the button you want, and activate it.

The touchpad in Atari 5200 games mimics the Trak-Ball.

• Like 3

The story is that we at Code Mystics have always been a fan of the Vita and appreciative of the Vita community, and when we had a client unexpectedly cancel a project we were working on, our staff decided to bring AFC to Vita "for fun" while we waited for them to be reallocated. (They included a number of people who had worked on AFC for the Switch.) When it was fairly far along, we showed it to Atari.
We know the Vita is in its twilight but on the chance we could get it released, we considered it a "parting gift" to the community. "One more for the road," as it were. (Get it? Because the Vita can be taken on the road... :) )
We'll see where Atari takes it from here...

I just have to give a big "thank you" for enabling this to happen. I would have never expected something like this at this point in the Vita's market life, so this is truly a pleasant surprise. I'm sure the Vita community will appreciate it.

Which set(s) of games are on the Vita version? Does the Vita version also support PlayStation TV, and (if so) does it support multiple controllers?

I'm surprised nobody has taken on the task of a nice modern Star Raiders reboot. It's quite possible the market isn't there, but I wouldn't think it would need to be a big budget-busting production to be fun.

Atari already attempted this a few years ago, but it was poorly received.

Even working behind-the-scenes on this (at least in the planning stages), I can say I'm still surprised and impressed it got released like this. Usually this kind of thing, especially one with a physical component, doesn't get a connoisseur's treatment, but it basically became that because that's all there was that was literally left in the IP pool after the first two volumes (I was strongly against re-use of any vol. 1/2 games, as was a suggestion for a while). That's also why you see the third party assists from the M Network stuff to fill out the volume.

Frankly, I would have preferred to see 7800 stuff instead of 5200 stuff because of the latter platform's wonky controls, but it just wasn't practical at this time for various reasons. Still, it's nice that the calls of why isn't some Atari platform other than arcade or 2600 seeing release on these types of products can at least finally be addressed, even if it is with the modest available 5200 library. Hopefully that can lead to some other platforms getting a similar treatment. Goodness knows it would be nice to leave the usual arcade, 2600, NES, Genesis, and SNES comfort zones for a while.

Regarding the 5200 and its "wonky controls", there's actually good reason to revive those games now. Modern game controllers have much better analog sticks (self-centering ones at that), so the majority of those games (using relative movement) would have vastly better controls now. The numeric keypad might be another story, as there isn't a direct counterpart but there are several workarounds, including remapping keypad inputs to unused buttons, touch screen (on Switch or Vita), or plugging in a USB keyboard (on PS4 or Xbox One).

I might get people yelling at me for this, but would AtGames consider building Atari 2600 joysticks/paddles or Atari 5200 controller with USB for the Switch/XB1/PS4? I think having replica hardware to play some of the games with would be great. And they already have the molds/joysticks in production, would just be changing the connector and maybe programming a board to let the console think it is a regular controller

I think that's a great idea! If only one of these replica controllers would be feasible to put into production, I vote for paddles. While the existing collections have good workarounds to make the paddle games "playable", I don't think any of them could replace the feel and range of motion that a genuine paddle controller offers.

Volume 3 for PS4 is now available on the US PSN. No sign of the Vita version yet.

@JeffVav, do you know what mode/settings should be used for arcade Baseball to post a score on the leaderboards? Or, is there even supposed to be a Baseball leaderboard? You can view the leaderboard but it's empty on PS4. I've won both 1 and 9 inning games but no score was posted.

Unfortunately, all of the PS4 leaderboards are pretty sparse... not much competition. I'm currently #1 on 7 of the 11 games that have leaderboards.

So I haven't looked at this topic once.. but I saw the Flashback Collection for Switch at Gamestop today, contemplated buying it (I haven't just yet) and now am reading about wait.. what, there's 5200 games on this thing now???? :-o

It seems the Switch version has a pretty huge compilation in comparison to what's on vol 1, 2, 3.. or am I wrong?

Screw it. I'm getting the Switch version now.. the e-shop one.

• Like 1

So I haven't looked at this topic once.. but I saw the Flashback Collection for Switch at Gamestop today, contemplated buying it (I haven't just yet) and now am reading about wait.. what, there's 5200 games on this thing now???? :-o

It seems the Switch version has a pretty huge compilation in comparison to what's on vol 1, 2, 3.. or am I wrong?

Screw it. I'm getting the Switch version now.. the e-shop one.

The Switch collection is equivalent to 1+2+3 on xbone/ps4, and you'll like it very much.

It's slightly different from Atari Vault or the Flashbacks (no homebrew, no Save Mary, no Solaris on this), and there's no museum type stuff, but it's a nice collection with good emulation and control/visual options. Just having the vertical games compatible with the Switch grip I got from Kickstarter justifies my triple dipping to myself. Way more sensible than a 1Up arcade cabinet.

• Like 1

@JeffVav, do you know what mode/settings should be used for arcade Baseball to post a score on the leaderboards? Or, is there even supposed to be a Baseball leaderboard? You can view the leaderboard but it's empty on PS4. I've won both 1 and 9 inning games but no score was posted.

Yeah, that appears to be a bug. Sorry about that.

Edited by JeffVav

I really like the fact that they included display options for the vector games which at least attempted to simulate the glow of the bullets in games like Asteroids for example. It could have easily just not been done as usual, but the fact that it's there shows someone cared! Greatly appreciated. :)

• Like 2

There's no mention of PSTV in the game's store description.

I'm waiting until next week to buy, hoping for a 20% off PSN newsletter coupon like last Christmas. If no one has confirmed PSTV compatibility before I buy, I'll try it...

Edited by boog
  • Like 1

There's no mention of PSTV in the game's store description.

I'm waiting until next week to buy, hoping for a 20% off PSN newsletter coupon like last Christmas. If no one has confirmed PSTV compatibility before I buy, I'll try it...

Yes, it supports PSTV.

• Like 1