Photo

Atari Flashback Classics for the XB1/PS4

588 replies to this topic

#576 tripletopper OFFLINE  

tripletopper

Moonsweeper

• 357 posts

Posted Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:58 PM

I saw Atgames make a "pair of paddles" Atari 2600 controller to the "plug and play" lineup.   They already have the proper molds and electronics to make them.  Why not make a PS4/X1/NS controller from the same mold.

https://www.walmart....03868/977751017

There’s even more option for the Switch.

1) Switch wheels already exists.  They could be used instead of paddles for limited radius games like Pong, Warlords, etc.

2) Trackballs, Rollers, and Spinners can be used with a Joycon.   Put a Joycon in a hamster ball for trackballs, and a cylinder for Major Havok, and a dial for Tempest add buttons, make it ambidextrous by making it flippable 180 degrees.  Tempest 4K could use a Joycon Spinner.

3) I believe Sentinel was originally a Light Gun game, plus they could use 7800 light gun games, and other companies might want to make light gun games, and ever since they purged CRT TVs, there has no been an accurate light-gun substitute.  The best one was the Wii Mote.  But that was awful, (but other modern solutions are worse) because it a) had to be set up perfectly, and b) dididn’t know certain factors which would have made it more accurate.   A simple, no-fuss-no-muss way to do it is to just take a picture of visible light.  A "camera gun".  None of this infrared stuff.  The machine knows what’s on the screen. If it communicates with the gun, then it can use the picture to tell where the bullet goes.   The calbiration can be used to adjust for light in the room.  And the only way you can accurately compensate for the screen is to take a picture of the screen. It would understand position, scale, and rotation.

4)  The paddles and the 5200 controller works because it’s non-self-centering.   The only games where self centering works is "digital" arcade game conversions.  Star Raiders, Missile Command, Kaboom, and Star Wars all worked better with a non-self-centering stick compared to a centering one.  Warlords is tiring with the self-centering, except for the 2nd 360 version, because it wasn’t trying to be the original, but instead an update.

#577 Lost Dragon OFFLINE  

Lost Dragon

River Patroller

• 3,838 posts

Posted Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:48 AM

My best friend just gave me Volume 1 on PS4 for Xmas this year (had the Art Of Atari book off her and 2600 themed wallet and socks in the years previously) as she knows the 2600 was such a key part of my childhood.

I'm all over it for the games i never played at the time (and the prototypes)2600 wise and the coin op versions of Centipede, Millipede and Black Widow.

2600 Star Raiders was a shock, rose tinted glasses in effect. .

But after all these years i finally got my head around Yar's Revenge, something i could never do as a nipper

#578 romeoteknik OFFLINE  

romeoteknik

Chopper Commander

• 116 posts

Posted Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:14 PM

Will Atari Flashback Classics Volume 3 ever be available at Best Buy or Amazon? Why is Gamestop the only place currently to buy it? I don't see it listed as "Only at Gamestop" so it's not exclusive to them.

#579 boog OFFLINE  

boog

Dragonstomper

• 684 posts

Posted Sun Jan 6, 2019 8:48 AM

Finally managed to get a Commander rank on Star Raiders 5200. Took some practice to get used to the clunky keypad controls. You need to clear the enemies as quickly as possible to reach a commander rank, so lots of combat with a damaged ship to avoid the time it takes for repairs. The PSN trophy rarity went from 0.0% to 0.1% so it looks like I'm the first to get the trophy.

Still need the Air Raiders and Xari Arena trophies for Volume 3. I'm getting close to the 65 kills in the first 99 shots on Air Raiders, and the PSN rarity is at 0.1% for that trophy so someone has already done it. I still haven't figured out a good strategy for Xari Arena though... can't get past level 9 and the trophy is for clearing level 32.

#580 jeremiahjt OFFLINE  

jeremiahjt

Dragonstomper

• 692 posts

Posted Sun Jan 6, 2019 7:59 PM

Finally managed to get a Commander rank on Star Raiders 5200. Took some practice to get used to the clunky keypad controls. You need to clear the enemies as quickly as possible to reach a commander rank, so lots of combat with a damaged ship to avoid the time it takes for repairs. The PSN trophy rarity went from 0.0% to 0.1% so it looks like I'm the first to get the trophy.

What skill level did you start on? Can you reach Commander on all of the skill levels?

#581 boog OFFLINE  

boog

Dragonstomper

• 684 posts

Posted Sun Jan 6, 2019 10:37 PM

I played on commander difficulty, no bases lost, and I only docked for repairs/refuel a few times... basically only docked for repair if the shields or photons were destroyed. I'd finished with a rank of captain a couple times but had to focus on finishing the game more quickly to bump the rank up to commander.

There's a rank calculation formula in the manual:

https://atariage.com...=29&maxPages=38

Commander difficulty has a higher 'M' value and more enemies than the lower difficulty settings. Those are the only factors that add rank points. Play time, energy used, and bases destroyed all subtract rank points. I don't think the easier difficulty settings have enough possible points to finish with a final calculation of 240+.

Edited by boog, Sun Jan 6, 2019 11:02 PM.

#582 boog OFFLINE  

boog

Dragonstomper

• 684 posts

Posted Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:01 AM

I've been playing the Vita version recently and just wanted to rave about how great it is. All 150 games from volume 1-3 for only $20. Tate mode for the vertical arcade games, touch screen for keypad controls, and the emulation is solid. The game selection menu crashed on me a couple times, but they actually released an update patch last week to fix that issue. My only minor gripe is that the leaderboards aren't shared with the PS4 volumes. Best version of the game... same features as the Switch version at a much lower price.

A couple of really tough trophies repeated from earlier volumes... finishing Xari Arena is beyond my skills. The PSN trophy list shows that a lot of people already have the platinum on Vita though. Hooray for trophy hackers!! 

#583 Gamemoose OFFLINE  

Gamemoose

Dragonstomper

• 730 posts

Posted Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:23 PM

I've been playing the Vita version recently and just wanted to rave about how great it is. All 150 games from volume 1-3 for only $20. Tate mode for the vertical arcade games, touch screen for keypad controls, and the emulation is solid. The game selection menu crashed on me a couple times, but they actually released an update patch last week to fix that issue. My only minor gripe is that the leaderboards aren't shared with the PS4 volumes. Best version of the game... same features as the Switch version at a much lower price.

A couple of really tough trophies repeated from earlier volumes... finishing Xari Arena is beyond my skills. The PSN trophy list shows that a lot of people already have the platinum on Vita though. Hooray for trophy hackers!! 

Thanks for the impressions! I've been debating this ever since I heard about it.

#584 Flojomojo OFFLINE  

Flojomojo

You can't handle the truth. No truth-handler, you.

• 16,471 posts
  • I deride your truth-handling abilities.

Posted Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:44 PM

My Vita has been languishing in a drawer for a long time. Maybe this is, along with the adapter so I can charge the thing with a standard cable, will be enough to get me to drag it out. I do like that machine. 

#585 Atariboy ONLINE  

Atariboy

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 7,845 posts
  • River Raider

Posted Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:49 PM

I still want to grab this to keep my Activision and Capcom collections company on my PSTV. :)

I wish the Taito Legends compilation had made the compatibility list. Would love to have Space Dungeon on my PSTV.

#586 Atariboy ONLINE  

Atariboy

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 7,845 posts
  • River Raider

Posted Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:13 PM

Played Monte Carlo on the PS4 for the first time and tied 1st place on the leaderboard in my first race. One of the best games on Volume 3 and it's neat to share the top spot, but I wish the leaderboards were healthier. While it's probably wishful thinking for a collection that goes towards the more obscure portions of the Atari library, I'd be much more happy if I was down around 40,000 after my first virtual quarter (As would the companies involved). 

Does anyone know if there's a way on Monte Carlo/Super Bug to enable the d-pad to steer in a manner like the analog stick does (i.e., the up direction steers your vehicle towards the top of the screen and so on)? Just left/right steering isn't too useful with the d-pad and while very playable with the analog stick, it's a bit too easy to accidentally drift into a diagonal direction and hit the wall when you're close to it. 

And lastly, I like the look of the scanlines in these collections, but only on certain games. On games with dark backgrounds like 2600 Centipede, I'm especially fond of them. But other games like the 2600 version of Miniature Golf, I find the look much less pleasing. A game specific scanline toggle would be nice to see rather than the universal setting that exists now. 

Edited by Atariboy, Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:31 PM.

#587 boog OFFLINE  

boog

Dragonstomper

• 684 posts

Posted Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:09 PM

We're tied for 1st on the PS4 Monte Carlo leaderboards.  :) There definitely isn't much competition though... top scores aren't very high on the Vita version either.

PS4 volume 3 was patched since I last played and the arcade Baseball leaderboards are now working. Just have to play a 1 inning game on default settings and your runs scored goes on the leaderboards. Doesn't have to be a shutout since I just won 6-1 and I'm now at the top of that leaderboard...

#588 JeffVav OFFLINE  

JeffVav

Chopper Commander

• 174 posts

Posted Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:22 PM

Does anyone know if there's a way on Monte Carlo/Super Bug to enable the d-pad to steer in a manner like the analog stick does (i.e., the up direction steers your vehicle towards the top of the screen and so on)? Just left/right steering isn't too useful with the d-pad and while very playable with the analog stick, it's a bit too easy to accidentally drift into a diagonal direction and hit the wall when you're close to it. 

Afraid not. The car has more than 8 directions it can go in so a d-pad implementation wouldn't give you the full range.

#589 Atariboy ONLINE  

Atariboy

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 7,845 posts
  • River Raider

Posted Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:44 PM

Thanks Jeff.

I was thinking that might be the reason after I had posted that, but couldn't remember for sure without checking first if there were more than 8 discrete directions that I could steer in.

We're tied for 1st on the PS4 Monte Carlo leaderboards.  :)

You've got a new score to beat. :)

I actually did it once earlier, but it didn't upload for some reason. I tried again later and managed to repeat my slim victory and got it posted to the leaderboard. 

Monte Carlo is an addicting game. Code Mystics did a commendable job making an overhead racer like this play well on a gamepad. I figured a game like this would be about as playable as Super Breakout with an analog stick is, but I'm happily way off the mark.

Edited by Atariboy, Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:28 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users