IGNORED

Atari 7800 thoughts and questions

k8track

I thought I would finally jump in with some Atari 7800 thoughts and a few questions.

The Atari 7800 was never my favorite system, but I still really liked it. I remember hearing about it when it was first announced in 1984 and always kept an eye out for it, but never saw any for sale. I got my first system back in May of 1990, on a lark, at a junk shop, along with three games: Ms. Pac-Man, Dig Dug, and Pole Position II. I was pretty impressed, and noted that Dig Dug used exactly the same sounds as the 2600 version. The system itself was in not that great of a condition; the on/off switch stuck pretty bad and the controllers didn’t work well.

My interest was piqued enough, though, to finally purchase a brand new system from Toys ‘Я’ Us in February 1991, and I started snapping up as many games as possible for a while afterward, and amassed a nice collection. I bought several 2600 and 7800 games directly from Atari around 1991-1992, so I have a fair amount of the late-release stuff. My interest gradually faded as I focused more on other consoles I was more interested in, and the 7800 kind of fell by the wayside.

I was a rabid and active video game collector till around 2007, when I finally became burned out. I sold a small chunk that fall in order to make money to survive, and I slowly faded from the scene. I still love video games, but haven’t been actively collecting them for quite some time now. Real life sort of took over and I focused on other things.

Last fall, my mom was diagnosed with terminal cancer, and several months later, she passed away. I was very devastated. One thing that helped me get my mind off of things was getting into podcasts. I discovered some great ones—The Mission Log Podcast, You Don’t Know Flack, Shinto’s Atari Jaguar podcast, Ferg’s 2600 podcast, and Phil “The No-Swear Gamer”’s podcast. I really got into those and it helped me to focus on more pleasant things. I’m still catching up on back episodes, and it’s really re-sparked my long-dormant interest in video games in general, but the Atari 2600 and 7800 in particular. I love how these podcasts will examine the minutiae of every single game, no matter how crappy or beloved. It really makes me want to play and rediscover all those old games again.

Because of that, when I happened to run across a CIB Atari 7800 in good condition, I decided to snap it up. It was the first video game purchase I’d made in quite some time. Even though I already have a CIB Atari 7800 I had bought new at the time, I decided to get this one because all of my video game consoles are packed away and inaccessible, but mostly because this was one of the early models with the original box design and the expansion port in the side, which I realized would have fewer compatibility issues. And as I mentioned, it was in pretty nice condition. It was $100, but I decided it was worth it (hopefully we both got a nice deal). I hooked it up the other night, and it was the first console game I’d played in several years. Felt pretty great. I’d like to dip my toe in the waters a bit deeper. I’m looking forward to playing all my 2600 and 7800 games again.

I’d really like to enhance my playing experience with this system. I have a few questions that I was hoping some people might be kind enough to answer.

1. I hooked it up through my VCR via an RF to coax adapter, and it didn’t look so great, but it was my only option. I’ve seen some posts about how people can get their 7800 AV modded. I have zero technical expertise with stuff like that, so trying to do it myself is not an option. Could anyone recommend someone here on the boards who performs that service? Who would be the most trusted person to contact?

2. I’m extremely interested in getting the Concerto Cart, whenever it is released. I am a chronic boat misser, and I really don’t want to miss out on it this time. Is there a waiting list for this? Anyone know the current ETA? Where could I get the most current info?

2a. Will the Concerto Cart have a pokey chip included, or would one need to provide it themselves?

Thanks for any information you guys can give. I’m really looking forward to playing these games again, as well as checking out all the great new homebrews for both the 2600 and 7800, which look really impressive. Game on.

Welcome, and thank you for sharing your story, k8track.

To answer your questions:

1. ElectronicSentimentalities - Highly regarded and Joe is a trusted person to contact.

There are various threads on the subject.

2. No waiting list. No ETA. Regarding current info and last 'official' public update...

There were some bugs to iron out, including (but not exclusive to) what was mentioned here, and some 2600 compatibility (was) still missing.

2a. Mass distributed Concerto carts will likely have the POKEY substitute chip HOKEY installed.

A few were able to purchase an early run "pre-release" cart at the 2015 PRGE. They were provided with just the socket for the chip.

Here are my thoughts (by the way... forewarning... I've been drinking)...

The 7800 is awesome. It's a system that I love owning, but haven't played it in almost 10 years because I've got like 40 games wrapped in the original shrinkwrap and I can't bring myself to open them up. I keep eyeing Choplifter, but just can't bring myself to open it.

photo-18.png

Trebor, love the Starflight avatar!