IGNORED

Why VR is so DIFFICULT & EXPENSIVE & should gamers CARE?!

I thought this was another good way of describing how VR is "difficult and expensive" -- it's he opposite of smartphones, it demands full attention, and not everyone is going to put up with that. I know that's one of the major turn offs for me. I have enough trouble finding time and space for books and games as it is.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/06/23/technology/tripping-down-a-virtual-rabbit-hole.html?partner=IFTTT&_r=0&referer=

• Like 2

I just back from E3 in LA...and I got to try a bunch of VR, specifically with Sony's VR headset and I have to say...was incredibly IMPRESSED. Seriously... blown away by how immersive it was!

However, I did get motion sick in a tank simulator, which is surprising because I typically don't get motion sick in a car or on rollercoasters...

I thought this was another good way of describing how VR is "difficult and expensive" -- it's he opposite of smartphones, it demands full attention, and not everyone is going to put up with that. I know that's one of the major turn offs for me. I have enough trouble finding time and space for books and games as it is.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/06/23/technology/tripping-down-a-virtual-rabbit-hole.html?partner=IFTTT&_r=0&referer=

Ever since the New York Times reported (accurately) on the sinking of the Titanic back in 1912, the paper has risen to the top of the heap and has stayed there. And this article is nothing less.

I still firmly believe that any extended usage beyond a couple of minutes becomes annoying in so many ways, both subtle and gross. Outside of a few specialized applications like search and rescue drones, robotic/remote telesurgery, flight simulator training, and similar things, VR is a solution in search of a problem. Consumer VR goes goes back only as far as the beginnings of the dotcom era and has refused to die. But professional & serious VR goes back another 20 years.

IMHO consumer VR will be "ready" when you try it out and never ever want to turn it off. That isn't going to happen.

It's just a humble opinion.

I still can't take a liking to headset-only VR implementations. Rather fatiguing after a few minutes. I could not watch an entire movie. But a full-size commercial jet flightsim is a completely different experience, and what I would call VR "properly done".

I haven't done the skydiving-in-a-tube thing yet. I suspect it will be good thing. Especially if you can control the fan speed.

I also would not want to watch an entire movie wearing a VR headset. For that, I'd rather sit in front of a large screen--I don't need to interact with the movie at all, don't need to turn my head to see around me, or anything like that. I suspect VR will thrive for some applications, and only be passable for others.

While there have been consumer VR solutions in the past, none of them were anywhere near the quality of the Oculus or Vive (and I suspect, Sony's VR). It's like comparing apples and oranges, really. Previous VR consumer gear has been just a curiosity. What we're seeing now is the first serious foray that VR is making into the consumer realm.. Today's hardware is much higher resolution, has a much faster frame rate, has significantly improved head tracking with little perceptible lag, your position in 3D space is now tracked as well, significant SDKs have been developed to support VR software, and so forth. While gaming is getting most of the attention right now, I think VR will be pervasive in many other fields, and that's where things will get exciting, in my opinion.

..Al

Looks like Resident Evil VII VR make a lot of people sick.

http://www.gamecrate.com/resident-evil-vr-going-make-people-sick/13869

Based on what Dave said in the video in the original post its not at all surprising that Resident Evil 7 VR is giving the majority of people who try it VR sickness, since it is a "people simulator" and with the current technology that PSVR (and all the other consumer VR devices for that matter) is using I think it's safe to expect that any game that tries to simulate being a person walking, running, jumping, climbing stairs, or otherwise moving around is going to make most people sick in short order. Pretty much the only type of games the current VR technology can be used for without making the player rapidly start feeling ill are vehicle simulators where you're stationary in a seat/cockpit/etc.

But, Sony seems to be really keen on pushing people simulators for the PSVR so I think it's pretty clear how the whole thing is going to turn out. The PSVR will almost undoubtedly be the Virtual Boy all over again, except this time instead of just giving it's users headaches it'll be dishing out substantial quantities of nausea and vomiting.

Edited by Jin

I believe it will take 6-10 years to build a list of things that work well with VR and ones that do not.

It would be nice to see a pair of safety glasses that look like standard safety glasses and can highlight circuit board traces that are energized, with different colors and brightnesses for frequency/current/voltage. Same goes for mechanic trainees, glasses that highlight part X, or can spot metal fatigue. Or show fluid flow in pipes. But that's more an augmented reality rather than VR.

Personally I want to see Tilt Brush become popular.

I got a feeling that Microsoft's "Hololens" will be more people friendly then VR, because it's a blend of real and virtual reality. I'm more of a Sony person, so I may miss out on that, we'll see.

As far as RE VII, Capcom needs to remove the option to look with your controller and just use your head, I thing that's what makes people sick.

Actually, there is another thing, it's the way the 3D movement is programmed in the games make people sick also. There are few FPS games that make me sick and others don't, for instance RAGE by iD, Call of Cthulhu on XBOX, Half Life on Dreamcast, but not on PS2.