Photo

Help with retropie and ti99/4a

44 replies to this topic

#1 Majdachi OFFLINE  

Majdachi

Star Raider

• 78 posts

Posted Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:53 PM

Hi all, i have read an article here that it is possible to emulate the 99/4a on retropie with raspberry pi 3b using ti99sim. I also noticed an article here about this issue, but the steps are hard to achieve as they are not well organized. Can someone show me a fast way to install ti99sim on retropie ?

Best regards for all:.

#2 Shift838 OFFLINE  

Shift838

Stargunner

• 1,951 posts
  • SHIFT838

Posted Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:09 PM

Hi all, i have read an article here that it is possible to emulate the 99/4a on retropie with raspberry pi 3b using ti99sim. I also noticed an article here about this issue, but the steps are hard to achieve as they are not well organized. Can someone show me a fast way to install ti99sim on retropie ?
Best regards for all:.

I was able to follow the steps in the article and get it working on my Pi3. I can walk you through it, but it will have to be next week, as I'm in New York right now and will not return until Tuesday night.

Send me a PM if you would like to to.

#3 globeron OFFLINE  

globeron

Dragonstomper

• 630 posts

Posted Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:54 PM

Let me know, which steps are not clear to improve it. It were technical captures when installing it.
Others managed to do it. I used raspberry pi2. Another way is to share he 8Gb image somewhere,
but the issue is that all Roms are on it ... and cannot be distributed. Not sure if I can create an image without the Roms and then point where to install them (but cannot do this so soon)

#4 globeron OFFLINE  

globeron

Dragonstomper

• 630 posts

Posted Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:57 PM

Maybe I will ask the persons of the retropie image to include the ti/sim

If the creator of tisim approves it. Then it saves a lot of hassle to add it.

Edited by globeron, Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:47 PM.

#5 Majdachi OFFLINE  

Majdachi

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 78 posts

Posted Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:46 AM

Hello, i found the images but i'm new to raspberry pi, installed raspbian jessie latest version and retropie also running well with dosbox/softwares/games running... just need 1 2 3... steps to install the ti99 which i also downloaded with .ctg games... couldn't figure out how to install it... ctg files are easy to install... the problem is just the emulator. The FTP thing was hard to make for me...Thank you all :.

Edited by Majdachi, Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:51 AM.

#6 globeron OFFLINE  

globeron

Dragonstomper

• 630 posts

Posted Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:07 AM

Hi Majdachi,

Just to make sure you are following this thread with my steps  (it is like 1,2,3...but still a bit technical)

http://atariage.com/...3/#entry3491795

Make sure you do not forget this in step 4: 

cp ti-994a.ctg TI-994A.ctg

(as the .ctg images are case sensitive)

The FTP thing,  you need to have your RetroPi be connected with an IP-address to a network (either Ethernet, or I used a WiFi Adapter to my WiFi network)

then remote FTP into the retropi

(For FTP program I used Filezilla)

But I agree, we need to have a better way like a single image with the whole system installed  (and the end-user still need to transfer the TI-99/4A ROMS, GROMS, SPEECH, etc.

and the game-Roms, etc. to the RetroPi.

#7 globeron OFFLINE  

globeron

Dragonstomper

• 630 posts

Posted Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:12 AM

PS. My instructions are using the RetroPi image itself on a SD card (so the whole game system, including Atari, Nintento, Nintendo 64, SNES, and I installed VideoPAC as well

DOS is there, etc.), it is on my TI99VIDEOS channel (https://www.youtube....NTAKQ9WdKORAnpA)

Direct link:  https://www.youtube....h?v=3BT6eXlbO-Q

(This one I just saw, here is a video of TI99SIM in Raspberry, (thus not a RetroPi image):

https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

#8 iKarith OFFLINE  

iKarith

Moonsweeper

• 271 posts

Posted Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:19 AM

I found a few problems with ti99sim that may or may not be problems for you.  First, I have had trouble with sound.  In fact, I have trouble with ALL SDL sound using programs, so the problem may be something else on my end.  No idea there, nobody seems to be able to tell me anything to even begin checking for.

Second, I found that I had to install everything and then make sure that ti99sim was run from the directory everything was installed into (/opt/ti99sim in my case) or it didn't come up.

The second one probably affects you.  The first may not.

#9 globeron OFFLINE  

globeron

Dragonstomper

• 630 posts

Posted Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:40 AM

(I hope that Friday evening I can set some time apart to update the installation procedure based on the latest RetroPie image as they also changed something.

See furthermore a discussion with the developers of the RetroPie as I asked them to include the TI99SIM  (under the condition that they have approval from

Marc Rousseau who created the TI99SIM).  I hope it can be included.   Then only ROMS/GROMS/BINs need to be transferred ("FTP-ed") to the RetroPie and

should be good to go.  They want to keep the image small for distribution. 

https://github.com/R...mment-225443650
https://github.com/retropie/retropie-setup/wiki/TI99​

I am not sure how to make a small image after everything is installed, because my SD-card is 8 Gb  (and I can do a disk-image)

that worked, we tested it with someone else who could not get it to work that time, but I need to upload the image, which takes a

few hours (and for the other person it took 5 hours to download it).  If someone has a better idea, mechanism would be good.

#10 globeron OFFLINE  

globeron

Dragonstomper

• 630 posts

Posted Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:58 AM

Updated installation procedure of TI-99/Sim (new version) 0.14.0 (25 June 2016) on RetroPie v3.8.1 (4 June 2016):

http://www.globeron....eV381-DocV2.pdf

also see the previous FB posting: https://www.facebook...54007498184844/

#11 MurdockScott OFFLINE  

MurdockScott

Star Raider

• 51 posts

Posted Tue Jul 5, 2016 9:06 PM

(This one I just saw, here is a video of TI99SIM in Raspberry, (thus not a RetroPi image):

https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

I'm sorry my video is not more informative but hopefully, it was helpful in some small way. I was just happy to get it functioning. I had to work through many problems and by this point (several months later), I have forgotten most of them. I think it's a defence mechanism aginst madness. : ) 

#12 globeron OFFLINE  

globeron

Dragonstomper

• 630 posts

Posted Tue Jul 5, 2016 9:57 PM

I'm sorry my video is not more informative but hopefully, it was helpful in some small way. I was just happy to get it functioning. I had to work through many problems and by this point (several months later), I have forgotten most of them. I think it's a defence mechanism aginst madness. : ) 

Hi MurdockScott, every video is useful, there is so much going on in the TI-community that it easy to forget the steps.  In the mean time I have spoken to Marc Rousseau the creator of

TI-99/Sim and he is okay to have it in the image  (without the ROMS/GROMS/Cartridges), I am following up with the RetroPie team if they are also okay with it, then we maybe can share

the installed image (I have tested it on a 8 Gb SD card and able to compress it to around 950Mb), that will save everybody the installation steps and the only item to do is to move the

console groms/roms and cartridges to the retropie, similar as for the other systems, like Atari, Videopac, etc.

#13 MurdockScott OFFLINE  

MurdockScott

Star Raider

• 51 posts

Posted Tue Jul 5, 2016 11:11 PM

All very cool. I read the above-mentioned thread over on GitHub and I appreciate you advocating for the TI99 with them. 

#14 Sinphaltimus OFFLINE  

Sinphaltimus

Stargunner

• 1,971 posts
  • Distracted at the Keyboard

Posted Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:01 PM

I'm wondering if TI99Sim is now included since the TI is listed as a supported system within RetroPi currently. And does the existing TI support still convert bin files? I'm ordering a Pi3 tomorrow and plan to run several systems on it, just curious about how to get my bins to ctg format within the existing retropi system. Seems the other systems I want to emulate (Amiga, C64, Mame, N64) all use pretty standard and readily available formats for the roms. Yeah, I'm being time efficient (lazy) these days and ordering a complete System pre configured with controllers, case and SD card. I just need to supply the roms.

https://www.amazon.c...BW3T37GOI&psc=1

#15 Shift838 OFFLINE  

Shift838

Stargunner

• 1,951 posts
  • SHIFT838

Posted Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:12 PM

I'm wondering if TI99Sim is now included since the TI is listed as a supported system within RetroPi currently. And does the existing TI support still convert bin files? I'm ordering a Pi3 tomorrow and plan to run several systems on it, just curious about how to get my bins to ctg format within the existing retropi system. Seems the other systems I want to emulate (Amiga, C64, Mame, N64) all use pretty standard and readily available formats for the roms. Yeah, I'm being time efficient (lazy) these days and ordering a complete System pre configured with controllers, case and SD card. I just need to supply the roms.

https://www.amazon.c...BW3T37GOI&psc=1

When your Pi3 comes in let me know.  I have a decent doc I used to get the TI99SIM added to the RetroPie Emulation Station.  I can even provide the image for it  that's already configured if you like with quite a few systems already configured for Mame, etc..

Edited by Shift838, Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:12 PM.

#16 etownandy OFFLINE  

etownandy

Chopper Commander

• 190 posts

Posted Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:45 AM

FWIW, TI99SIM is now installable from Retropie's setup program.  It's listed in the experimental packages section of the installer.  That should let you install it and only leave the task of copying over ROMs/RPK files.  

#17 Sinphaltimus OFFLINE  

Sinphaltimus

Stargunner

• 1,971 posts

Posted Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:01 PM

Well the Pi came in and it's setup - I ran all the updates to installed packages and installed TISIMM - I don't see TISIM (before and after rebooting the pi) in the menu - Also, how do I get *.ctg files?

#18 Sinphaltimus OFFLINE  

Sinphaltimus

Stargunner

• 1,971 posts

Posted Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:54 PM

When your Pi3 comes in let me know.  I have a decent doc I used to get the TI99SIM added to the RetroPie Emulation Station.  I can even provide the image for it  that's already configured if you like with quite a few systems already configured for Mame, etc..

Hey Shift - I'm not too hip to this but when you say "Image" do you mean the entire system image or just TISIM image? This entire retropi thing is a bit more complex then I thought. Seems it's very script driven and you need to edit a lot of scripts to get things to show up.n emulation station and such. I installed TISIM from retropi file manager download system thing and it appeared to install but It never appears in the system. Either way, once this thing is done copting over the roms for all the various systems, I'm going to attempt to play some to see if anything I am doing is working. Could use a bunch of help tho'.

right now I'm just copying roms over from various systems then I'll reboot the thing and see where I'm at - Still at a loss for ctg files tho'

#19 Shift838 OFFLINE  

Shift838

Stargunner

• 1,951 posts
  • SHIFT838

Posted Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:07 PM

Hey Shift - I'm not too hip to this but when you say "Image" do you mean the entire system image or just TISIM image? This entire retropi thing is a bit more complex then I thought. Seems it's very script driven and you need to edit a lot of scripts to get things to show up.n emulation station and such. I installed TISIM from retropi file manager download system thing and it appeared to install but It never appears in the system. Either way, once this thing is done copting over the roms for all the various systems, I'm going to attempt to play some to see if anything I am doing is working. Could use a bunch of help tho'.

right now I'm just copying roms over from various systems then I'll reboot the thing and see where I'm at - Still at a loss for ctg files tho'

I mean the entire Emulation Station image with various system's already setup like Mame, ti99sim, Sega, SNES and more.

You just need to copy the .img file down and blow it down to an SD card bit by bit with something like win32diskimage and then put it in your pi and boot.

Of course you will need to setup your network for WiFi otherwise if it's a wired connection then it will pull a DHCP.

Edited by Shift838, Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:09 PM.

#20 Sinphaltimus OFFLINE  

Sinphaltimus

Stargunner

• 1,971 posts

Posted Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:19 PM

I'm pulling the files down now. Is everything default in the image (logins and such?). That image will be downloading while I sleep.

Edited by Sinphaltimus, Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:21 PM.

#21 Shift838 OFFLINE  

Shift838

Stargunner

• 1,951 posts
  • SHIFT838

Posted Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:29 PM

I'm pulling the files down now. Is everything default in the image (logins and such?). That image will be downloading while I sleep.

yes, all default.  i set it up that way to make sure it was easy to use.

#22 Sinphaltimus OFFLINE  

Sinphaltimus

Stargunner

• 1,971 posts

Posted Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:50 PM

yes, all default.  i set it up that way to make sure it was easy to use.

Going to turn in for the night but I also wanted to ask about the image. Will it decompress and take full advantage of a 32GB Sd card or will it only restore to the original partition size? I suppose I could expand the partition later using the OS (pixel I think) if it comes with gparted for arm or something like that. I really have to take my time with this thing. I see a lot of things need manual configuring and setup (not just for the TI). I'm impressed so far. I can't believe I was just playing Quake III Arena again. It's been way too long.

#23 Shift838 OFFLINE  

Shift838

Stargunner

• 1,951 posts
  • SHIFT838

Posted Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:03 PM

Going to turn in for the night but I also wanted to ask about the image. Will it decompress and take full advantage of a 32GB Sd card or will it only restore to the original partition size? I suppose I could expand the partition later using the OS (pixel I think) if it comes with gparted for arm or something like that. I really have to take my time with this thing. I see a lot of things need manual configuring and setup (not just for the TI). I'm impressed so far. I can't believe I was just playing Quake III Arena again. It's been way too long.

the image will write the size of the image on the card.  you will need to expand it.   You can do it inside the retropie OS, you don't have to use pixel.

Exit the retropie to the command line and type:

sudo raspi-config

I think it's option #1 to expand the partition.  but it's in there.  that's how I did it.

Edited by Shift838, Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:04 PM.

#24 Sinphaltimus OFFLINE  

Sinphaltimus

Stargunner

• 1,971 posts

Posted Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:10 AM

Well that all sucks.  woke up this morning to a network error on all downloads.

#25 Sinphaltimus OFFLINE  

Sinphaltimus

Stargunner

• 1,971 posts

Posted Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:14 AM

Also, I followed all the installation instructions (Manual install for ti99sim only I used v0.15 instead) and everything (Putty & FileZilla) seemed to go smoothly. Except, TI99SIM does not appear in retropi. I did edit the es_systems.cfg file and that went well. The only ctg file I have (to test) is the TI-994A.ctg file from the installation instructions. I am concerned about the issue with new ctg files appearing after the intial XML file gets created and am curious about a rok around for that as I am apparently downloading ctg files again today and it will take about 8 hours. In the meantime, I'm going to try copying some bin files over. 

Does TI99SIM take FR99 bins or do they need to be inverted?

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users