• 160 posts

Posted Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:10 PM

FWIW, here's where I find it on my Pi.

1. Drop to a command line

2. Type ./setup and press RETURN

3. From the main menu, press "P" for "Manage packages" and press RETURN

4. Arrow down to "exp  Manage experimental packages" and press RETURN

5. Arrow down to "148 ti99sim" and press RETURN

I can't recall off the top of my head how to convert ctg to rpk (I did it several months back).  I can easily post ctg and bios files here if need be.

Edited by etownandy, Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:12 PM.

#27 Sinphaltimus OFFLINE  

Sinphaltimus

Stargunner

• 1,776 posts
  • Distracted at the Keyboard

Posted Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:42 PM

FWIW, here's where I find it on my Pi.

1. Drop to a command line

2. Type ./setup and press RETURN

3. From the main menu, press "P" for "Manage packages" and press RETURN

4. Arrow down to "exp  Manage experimental packages" and press RETURN

5. Arrow down to "148 ti99sim" and press RETURN

I can't recall off the top of my head how to convert ctg to rpk (I did it several months back).  I can easily post ctg and bios files here if need be.

Yeah, I did that process prior to the manual process. Neither one seems to have worked as the TI Emulator does not show up in emulation stations. i do have several *.ctg carts to test with.

I'm waiting for a 64GB Sd card to arrive, then I'm going to apply a known working image that has TISim already setup. My current 32GB card is what came with the Pi3 and I've already run out of space loading it up. So this project is on pause until the new card arrives. One thing i love, I plugged in my PS3 controller and it is fully operational after assigning all the buttons. Now I need to buy 2 more and return this one to my PS3. 

#28 etownandy OFFLINE  

etownandy

Chopper Commander

• 160 posts

Posted Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:03 PM

Yeah, I did that process prior to the manual process. Neither one seems to have worked as the TI Emulator does not show up in emulation stations. i do have several *.ctg carts to test with.

I'm waiting for a 64GB Sd card to arrive, then I'm going to apply a known working image that has TISim already setup. My current 32GB card is what came with the Pi3 and I've already run out of space loading it up. So this project is on pause until the new card arrives. One thing i love, I plugged in my PS3 controller and it is fully operational after assigning all the buttons. Now I need to buy 2 more and return this one to my PS3. 

IIRC, you have to have ROMs before an emulator will show up in Emulationstation.  They'd be in /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/ti99. I can't recall if I needed to transfer bios files, but I do have four present in the /home/pi/RetroPie/BIOS/ti99 folder.

I'm a huge fan of the Logitech F710 with my Pi.  Loved it so much I bought one for my regular desktop.  Has plenty of buttons, no mapping required with most emulators, is wireless, and the batteries last a long time.  FWIW.

#29 Sinphaltimus OFFLINE  

Sinphaltimus

Stargunner

• 1,776 posts

Posted Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:48 PM

IIRC, you have to have ROMs before an emulator will show up in Emulationstation.  They'd be in /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/ti99. I can't recall if I needed to transfer bios files, but I do have four present in the /home/pi/RetroPie/BIOS/ti99 folder.

OH! I placed the rom files in the ti99sim folder. I'll do that first thing once I get some other tasks out of the way.... THANKS!

Edited by Sinphaltimus, Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:48 PM.

#30 Sinphaltimus OFFLINE  

Sinphaltimus

Stargunner

• 1,776 posts

Posted Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:57 PM

Well, I followed these instructions to the letter: http://www.globeron....eV381-DocV2.pdf

My es_systems.cfg file is confirmed according to that doc.

I found two problems with these instructions and I'm not savvy enough to know if there are more.

Problem # 1 - A typo.

The highlighted blue line is not correct. instead of roms it should be cartridges as seen in the terminal window.

Attached File  RPTypo1.png   84.81KB   0 downloads

Problem # 2 - exiting vi - I had to google the correct process to exit vi.

 Option 1 (difficult)  Open the file and edit it in the RetroPie: vi es_systems.cfg  Note to exit use “:wq” (write and quit) or “!q” (quit without saving))

To quit the vi editor without saving any changes you've made:
  1. If you are currently in insert or append mode, press Esc .
  2. Press : (colon). The cursor should reappear at the lower left corner of the screen beside a colon prompt.
  3. Enter the following: q!
How do I quit the vi editor without saving my changes?

After all of this - I copied the bios files in to bios/ and also in to bios/ti99sim and also into bios/ti99
The bios files are also in  roms/ti99sim and also roms/ti99

So i have multiple locations where the bios and ctg files are located. 

Still no TI-99/4A appearing in emulationstation after reboots.

#31 etownandy OFFLINE  

etownandy

Chopper Commander

• 160 posts

Posted Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:58 AM

One of my early problems was with casing.  The TI in "ti99" must be lower case, I believe.

The advantage with installing it from ./setup is that you shouldn't have to edit any of the config files.

You might try going back to setup and doing an automatic update on all installed packages.  That takes a while, but ensures everything is up to date.

#32 Sinphaltimus OFFLINE  

Sinphaltimus

Stargunner

• 1,776 posts

Posted Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:14 AM

Yeah, i actually did that last night before calling it quits. Didn't work. I have all the case sensitive stuff correct. shift838 sent me an SD image that has everything configured and working, I'm just waiting for my larger SD card to arrive so I can apply it then copy all my roms from the other sd card to it. Not going to worry about it until then i suppose. - the only other emulator I can't get working is neogeo. It shows up and I get the rom listings but when I pick one to play it kicks me out back to the rom listing menu. So I'm just going to be patient and wait for the other SD. It's frustrating not know what your doing and the instructions turn out to not work for you. especially when others have gotten it to work. So fuggit. I'll just apply the ready made image.

#33 etownandy OFFLINE  

etownandy

Chopper Commander

• 160 posts

Posted Yesterday, 6:24 AM

Ugh...sorry you're having all of this trouble!  Let us know if the new image works.  We all want you to get this going. :)

I use mame4all to play most neogeo titles (metal slug, Neo mr do, Neo bomber man, etc.) so that might be an option.

#34 Sinphaltimus OFFLINE  

Sinphaltimus

Stargunner

• 1,776 posts

Posted Yesterday, 8:19 AM

It's all good. I can hardly complain about what's not working vs. what is. It blows me away really. All these years being in to emulation on the PC, it's nice to move to something very console like on the TV and still have all those systems. I do emulation on the PC for TI mainly for development and a quick game or two, but I love the real iron for games. Having those TI games working on the RetroPie is just an added bonus. The only thing that frustrates me about it is when I follow the instructions I'm given to the letter from start to finish 3 times in a row and make adjustments according to feedback and it still doesn't work. so I move o to the next thing, wait for the large SD card to arrive and image with a known working image. I couldn't ask for anything better. As far as NEOGEO - I never had or used one so i don't know what I'm missing. Perhaps that will work in the new images as well? I appreciate all the help and suggestions immensely. 

#35 majestyx OFFLINE  

majestyx

Star Raider

• 88 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:25 PM

If you're not a huge fighting or side-scrolling game fan, you're not missing much on the Neo Geo, at least, from my exposure to that platform.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users