65 replies to this topic

#51 mrulrich OFFLINE  

mrulrich

Space Invader

• 10 posts

Posted Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:57 PM

give it a shot..

and let me know if it works for you.

Thanks for your help! I removed the RetroPie install and walked back through the install instructions you referenced. Added the recompiled ti-disk.ctg and IT WORKS!!! The only problem I have now is the emulator errors out. It's the exact same issue I went through with the js99er emulator that was resolved here:

http://atariage.com/...uilt/?p=3910013

It's clearly the same issue in ti99sim as it was with js99er. Does anyone know how to report bugs to the developer of ti99sim. Is it as easy as just shooting him an email? Any chance he'd actually address it?

Shift838, thanks for your help with the above!!!

#52 Shift838 OFFLINE  

Shift838

River Patroller

• 2,461 posts
  • SHIFT838

Posted Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:06 PM

Thanks for your help! I removed the RetroPie install and walked back through the install instructions you referenced. Added the recompiled ti-disk.ctg and IT WORKS!!! The only problem I have now is the emulator errors out. It's the exact same issue I went through with the js99er emulator that was resolved here:

It's clearly the same issue in ti99sim as it was with js99er. Does anyone know how to report bugs to the developer of ti99sim. Is it as easy as just shooting him an email? Any chance he'd actually address it?

Shoot him a PM here.  he is on here as 'ti99sim'

#53 Shift838 OFFLINE  

Shift838

River Patroller

• 2,461 posts
  • SHIFT838

Posted Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:08 AM

I checked my RetroPie and executed to make sure I could still catalog and run a tunnels of doom game.  This is how I did it.

I created a directory under RetroPie main directory called 'disks'  ---  you can call it whatever you want or place it where you want, just make sure in the command line you point to it.

After I have copied my disks to the 'disks' directory you must always mount them via command line to execute the ti99sim.

make sure you are in your pi home directory.. you an do this by typing:

cd ~

once there and if all your path environment variables are setup correctly, you have created the disks directory under the RetroPie directory and copied the disk files then you should be able to execute a line similar to:

ti99sim-sdl --dsk1=RetroPie/disks/YOURDISKNAMEHERE tundoom.ctg

If you are doing tunnels of doom, if not change the cartridge name to the appropriate cartridges.  The file names can be found in the below directory:

~/RetroPie/roms/ti99sim

If you need any more help just send me a note..

#54 Rodney Hester OFFLINE  

Rodney Hester

Space Invader

• 45 posts

Posted Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:13 AM

Has anyone had luck with a full-size keyboard on ti99sim (I'm using 0.15.0) on RetroPie?

Seems the SDL mapping is a bit 'off' - Alt is actually Tab, and CAPS LOCK doesn't work at all.

#55 theeric OFFLINE  

theeric

Combat Commando

• 5 posts

Posted Mon May 28, 2018 2:29 PM

Found it!

here is what I did to get it working.

• I recompiled the ti-disk.txt file (attached - need to rename the extension to a .ctg extension as the system will not let me attach a .ctg file)
  • Put it in the /opt/ti99sim/bin directory
  • placed the 'todtest.dsk' file attached into the /opt/ti99sim/disks directory

from the opt/ti99sim/bin directory i executed: (must be executed from this directory)

ti99sim-sdl --dsk1=todtest.dsk tundoom.ctg

And BAM...  I can now load the QUEST file from DSK1.

give it a shot..

and let me know if it works for you.

This is working for me.  But it drives me nuts having to go to the command line.  Any way to add this to the es_systems.cfg or anywhere else to make it work from within EmulationStation?  I have no problem having every ti99 cart use the same disk if it makes the setup work.  Thanks!

#56 theeric OFFLINE  

theeric

Combat Commando

• 5 posts

Posted Mon May 28, 2018 2:31 PM

here's what I tried in the es_systems.cfg without success:

<system>
<name>ti99</name>
<fullname>TI-99/4A</fullname>
<path>/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/ti99sim</path>
<extension>.ctg</extension>
<command>/opt/ti99sim/bin/ti99sim-sdl --dsk1=todtest.dsk  %ROM%</command>
<platform>ti99</platform>
<theme>ti99</theme>
</system>

#57 Shift838 OFFLINE  

Shift838

River Patroller

• 2,461 posts
  • SHIFT838

Posted Tue May 29, 2018 8:13 AM

here's what I tried in the es_systems.cfg without success:

<system>
<name>ti99</name>
<fullname>TI-99/4A</fullname>
<path>/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/ti99sim</path>
<extension>.ctg</extension>
<command>/opt/ti99sim/bin/ti99sim-sdl --dsk1=todtest.dsk  %ROM%</command>
<platform>ti99</platform>
<theme>ti99</theme>
</system>

The problem is that to mount the disk drives it must be done from a command line.  Now a simply  utility via python could be created but it would still need to be executed.  I would need to dig into it to see what it takes to get one coded to issue batch commands and take input as well as add the utility to the EmulationStation bar.

#58 theeric OFFLINE  

theeric

Combat Commando

• 5 posts

Posted Wed May 30, 2018 9:39 AM

The problem is that to mount the disk drives it must be done from a command line.  Now a simply  utility via python could be created but it would still need to be executed.  I would need to dig into it to see what it takes to get one coded to issue batch commands and take input as well as add the utility to the EmulationStation bar.

I have been playing with .sh files to try to accomplish this with no luck.  Any assistance you can provide would be much appreciated.  My dad loved Tunnels of Doom back in the day, and I am trying to make the process as simple as possible for him.  Thanks!

#59 Shift838 OFFLINE  

Shift838

River Patroller

• 2,461 posts
  • SHIFT838

Posted Wed May 30, 2018 7:17 PM

I have been playing with .sh files to try to accomplish this with no luck.  Any assistance you can provide would be much appreciated.  My dad loved Tunnels of Doom back in the day, and I am trying to make the process as simple as possible for him.  Thanks!

let me see what I can come up with.  I may be able to come up with an example tonight (assuming i get it working).

#60 Shift838 OFFLINE  

Shift838

River Patroller

• 2,461 posts
  • SHIFT838

Posted Wed May 30, 2018 7:49 PM

Ok,  I have a basic .sh script example working and allows you to input the cartridge and DSK1 filenames.  

rename to .sh and copy to your home directory on your RetroPie and execute it as:

bash ./myloader.sh

Hope this helps.  If you need anything else let me know.

Attached Files

#61 theeric OFFLINE  

theeric

Combat Commando

• 5 posts

Posted Wed May 30, 2018 8:32 PM

Ok,  I have a basic .sh script example working and allows you to input the cartridge and DSK1 filenames.  

rename to .sh and copy to your home directory on your RetroPie and execute it as:

bash ./myloader.sh

Hope this helps.  If you need anything else let me know.

Thanks for your help.  I'm still struggling with this though.  If I place the file in the root directory, I get file error 0 when trying to load the quest, if I run it from opt/ti99sim/bin, I get file error 6.  Everything else I have tried resulted in error 0, so I think we (you) are close!  :-)

#62 Shift838 OFFLINE  

Shift838

River Patroller

• 2,461 posts
  • SHIFT838

Posted Wed May 30, 2018 8:50 PM

execute a cd ~

this should put  you in your home directory.  Then execute the ls command to get a directory listing (lower case LS)

you should see something similar to:

pi@retropie:~ $ ls
bin    myloader.sh  RetroPie-Setup  test.sh         ti99sim-0.14.0.armhf.tar.xz
disks  RetroPie     temp            ti99sim-0.14.0  tod1.sh

do you see your RetroPie directory within your home directory?

If you see your RetroPie directory there then change directory to it and execute another ls command and  you should see:

pi@retropie:~ $ cd RetroPie
pi@retropie:~/RetroPie $ ls
BIOS  disks  retropiemenu  roms  splashscreens

If you go into the roms directory you should have a ti99sim directory which contains all your cartridges.

the disks directory should have all your disks files in it.

Edited by Shift838, Wed May 30, 2018 8:51 PM.

#63 theeric OFFLINE  

theeric

Combat Commando

• 5 posts

Posted Thu May 31, 2018 7:41 AM

My setup matches this, except I have ti99simm-0.15.0  I feel like this has to be a permissions issue.  I'll keep playing with it.  Thanks!

#64 jonecool OFFLINE  

jonecool

Chopper Commander

• 136 posts

Posted Thu May 31, 2018 7:17 PM

Skip to 18:15 in this video where I have TI99Sim running on a full-size Data East Arcade cabinet ;)  I love TI99Sim!

I didn't get too advanced with it though, just running carts (no disks or cassettes).  But I may try that, sounds like fun!

One thing I did have trouble with, make sure your .bin (BIOS) files are cased EXACTLY per the instructions.  I had issues until I renamed the console BIOS Files as described, then restart Emulation Station and I was good to go.

Edited by jonecool, Thu May 31, 2018 7:23 PM.

#65 fabrizio OFFLINE  

fabrizio

Space Invader

• 17 posts

Posted Wed Jan 9, 2019 4:52 AM

TI99sim - I have a problem with the operation of the joystick buttons, the high and low movements do not work while the left and right movements are ok, has this happened to you?

#66 etownandy OFFLINE  

etownandy

Chopper Commander

• 218 posts

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:59 AM

I had some path issues, so on a lark I moved everything to the same directory as TI99sim.  I use the script below.  The cartridge starts properly, but the disk is apparently not "inserted."  XB goes straight to the prompt, and OLD DSK1.LOAD gives me I/O error 0

#!/bin/bash

cd /opt/retropie/emulators/ti99sim

./ti99sim-sdl --dsk1=BestGames.dsk ExtendedBASIC.ctg

Is there something different about the required disk format vs other emulators?  The disk image works in MAME.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users