IGNORED

What monitor do you use with your Atari?

Arnuphis

Just curious. Do you prefer the CRT option or LCD? Let me know the make/model that you used to get the best results.

Since I got my SIO2SD (Thanks Lotharek!) I want to treat my 800XL to a better display than the clunky old amiga screen I have. Besides, there's something wrong with plugging an Atari into something that's badged 'Amiga' right?

What kind of cable do you use? Composite? Component? S-video? VGA?

What did you find was a good source to obtain the monitor?

Thanks in advance.

CRT all the way! I usually use a standard CRT TV with composite input on a switchbox, especially when I'm crunched for space and have to share one monitor across several machines.

When I have room to set up my Atari machines with a dedicated monitor, I use a Commodore 1702 with Chroma/Luma inputs for the main display and a composite Amdek 300A monochrome monitor for the XEP-80 (I have a thing for amber CRT displays).

I use a Sony MFM-HT95 (LCD). It gives a pretty good picture using S-video, if the video has been cleaned up a bit or with one of Bryan's wonderful UAVs. I would really prefer to keep using an LCD, but the VBXE image is awful with an Ambery upscaler connecting with a VGA cable. I'm thinking of biting the bullet and investing in a Framemeister.

Edited by Smokeless Joe

A Sony PVM 14N5U. Beautiful broadcast quality small monitor that handles PAL and NTSC for Composite and SVideo.

For serious gaming I also have a Sony KV-AR25 multi-standard TV. The Jaguar and 7800 are plugged into that most of the time.

I have a Samsung TW215 LCD monitor that handles SVideo very well and works with the Atari and TI99/4A, but won't handle the single from the VIC20 at all, and the displays just doesn't look as good as on a CRT.

C= 1084s and JVC CRT 13". I also have a spare Panasonic 23" CRT which I use in the living room.

These systems were designed for a CRT so that's all I use, I get mixed results on LCDs, the more expensive LCDs seem to give you better results but it's still no match for a good CRT.

I use a Sony MFM-HT95 (LCD). It gives a pretty good picture using S-video, if the video has been cleaned up a bit or with one of Bryan's wonderful UAVs. I would really prefer to keep using an LCD, but the VBXE image is awful with an Ambery upscaler connecting with a VGA cable. I'm thinking of biting the bullet and investing in a Framemeister.

If you get a Frameister let me know which one and how it works. I have spent enough on other attempts and monitors that supposedly would work but don't.

I normally use a Funai LCD-1506A or a loewe individual LED 200 (older model) with 800XL (S-Video) or XEGS (RGB/VBXE). Both TV sets have RGB, scart, s-video and video-inputs; pictures are pretty good.

On a modern display, remember to deaktivate things like picture-improvement, DNR etc.; the loewe has a special game-mode that deaktivate all filters (time-lag becomes smaller).

After testing some cheap upscaler, I bought a "Framemeister XRGB mini" recently, the picture is really good and fast. Until yet, I tested it with a XL (S-video-mod), a XEGS (VBXE / stereo) and Jaguar (RGB) and a VCS with AV-mod. The picture is really awesome.

If you buy one, take care that the scart-connector it comes with is wired for japanese scart-standard (scart 21) - for european scart you have to rewire it! I selected "Select the "Buy Unit + DT" bundle to receive your XRGB with a D-Terminal cable and save ¥500 on your purchase." The DT-cable could be used for component input.

Here you´ll find some helpfull links. Take care; some rewiring-instructions are incorrect. I did it this way.

Here you´ll find some modern displays tested with the A8 by ABBUC-members (it´s german).

If you´re testing upscaler, take a look at the PM-objects. This it what a cheap one does with the Zybex-player when you move it up or down:

post-18285-0-07711200-1465898449_thumb.jpg

Sleepy

Edited by Sleepy

Atari 800xl with vbxe configured with hd15 port, was meant to be used with vga lcd monitor that can sync down to 15khz, as reported by Amiga users...however in practice my nec 1550m didn't want to work. So I did put a scan doubler into play. Still, it does work and the display is beautiful and the monitor is a great visual match as well.

I've used a few CRT's lately. First, a 13" CRT TV that I picked up from Goodwill for $5 through RF. Then I found my composite video cable so I went to composite. Later I rediscovered an old Apple Color Composite Monitor that I I'd buried in storage so I was using it instead. It's neat because it's entirely analog controls - vertical and horizontal hold, brightness, contrast, color, etc. Just recently I got a late model Toshiba 27" CRT with an S-Video input. Gives a marvelous picture with one of Bryan's UAV boards in my 800XL.

I occasionally use a commercial Kramer video scaler that I borrow from the office :) Very nice output but rather expensive for home use.

My main 8-bit monitor now is a Samsung Syncmaster MP150 -- an older 15" LCD with composite and S-video inputs. Not the sharpest picture, but very compatible.

JVC BM-H1300SU - 13" CRT Studio Monitor

It has inputs and outputs for BNC Composite, BNC RGB/Component, 4-pin din S-Video - Y/C (Chroma/Luma), and RCA Audio. All video signals are switchable via front panel buttons. So you can hook up your Atari with composite and s-video connections simultaneously and switch between them as needed. It also has chroma and color phase adjustments.

It has a very crisp, clear picture, and gives a moderate "scanlined" look, which I think is great. It is NTSC and PAL compatible.

It only has a single speaker on the front, but I also have it outputting to my computer and it goes through the stereo speakers there.

I paid $5 for it on Ebay (new in opened box) + $35 shipping (from Florida to California).

post-6369-0-65264100-1466001499_thumb.png

post-6369-0-76234600-1466001506_thumb.png

Edited by MrFish

I love my 1702. Picked it up at the curb several years ago. It's amazing what people throw away...

The chroma/luma inputs give a great color picture, and connecting a FullView 80 to the luma input only is a decent solution for 80 columns. It even handles the 50hz output from my PAL ANTIC 800 with no hassle.

Edited by adam242
  • Like 1

Insigna NS-LCD19F... bought it on Kijiji 3 months ago $30, love it. 19in LCD with VGA S-Video Composite and Component - not wide screen but not 4:3 either.. I will have to look up the specs. it is a Circa 2010 TV/Monitor, it reads the 8-bit and gives an awesome picture when used with UVA or even just a straight S-video mod.. built custom cables for composite and S-video.. could have them both in at the same time and switch between if I wanted.. No HDMI though.. just prior to.. so good for computer not really for modern TV use.

James

Ended up getting a JVC TM-H150CG. Display is very nice. Works like a charm and it was very inexpensive. 800XL has a nice setup with this and the Lotharek SIO2SD. Now I need to learn how to use it! Ha. The machine has an Ultimate 1MB inside so figuring out how to get the best out of that.

Thanks everyone for all the help.

Recently got cheap way two JVC DTV1710CG studio monitors from a production company. Both almost unused, still with a protection foil over the front control panel.

Furtunately these were equiped with optional RGB input cards. Now I can not be more happier with the picture quality when connecting to a VBXE output of my upgraded 1200xl.

Tested also with Amiga, MAME in 15khz native resolution and scanlines, colours...all stunning.

Currently looking for some Sony PVM or similar because these professional monitors just rock.

post-34165-0-49173300-1466721463_thumb.jpegpost-34165-0-93970500-1466721493_thumb.jpegpost-34165-0-06731900-1466721511_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1