Photo

Retro-Bit Generations

448 replies to this topic

#301 evg2000 OFFLINE  

evg2000

Stargunner

• 1,276 posts

Posted Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:25 PM

If anyone downloads the key please share.

#302 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 15,301 posts

Posted Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:50 PM

If anyone downloads the key please share.

Attached File  key.bin   8bytes   103 downloads

EDIT: Amazing, only 8 bytes filesize. I had no idea it was this tiny. No way this file runs any actual code unless the ROM loader was backdoor was purposely built into the RetroBit. I've been trying unsuccessfully to ressurect a corrupt 8Gb SD card. Looks like I'll have to run to store and buy another to test this with. since I'm not cannibalizing the cards out of my flashcarts...

#303 evg2000 OFFLINE  

evg2000

Stargunner

• 1,276 posts

Posted Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:07 PM

attachicon.gifkey.bin

EDIT: Amazing, only 8 bytes filesize. I had no idea it was this tiny. No way this file runs any actual code unless the ROM loader was backdoor was purposely built into the RetroBit. I've been trying unsuccessfully to ressurect a corrupt 8Gb SD card. Looks like I'll have to run to store and buy another to test this with. since I'm not cannibalizing the cards out of my flashcarts...

Thanks, hopefully this weekend I can give it a try.

#304 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 15,301 posts

Posted Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:23 PM

Works and easy as pie. Sound emulation is a bit off in Castlevania III. Video has about 1:30 remaining on the upload, courtesy of slow ATT U-verse DSL up-link. :P

#305 Austin OFFLINE  

Austin

Quadrunner

• 11,850 posts

Posted Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:42 PM

Wonder if this will change anybody's opinions? Use your head when downloading the bin file tho...

Retro Bit Generations Hacked, Here is How:

http://retrogamingma...ed-here-is-how/

I stopped at, "The Retro Bit Generations was a popular console within the retro gaming community."

Top notch journalism right there, folks!

:rolling:

#306 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 15,301 posts

Posted Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:04 PM

I stopped at, "The Retro Bit Generations was a popular console within the retro gaming community."

Top notch journalism right there, folks!

:rolling:

Come on dude. Did you at least get to the part about downloading "key.bin"?

I noticed in my limited play test video, certain sound effects are missing in both Super Mario Bros 2 and Castlevania III.

For example, opening a door or pulling vegetable or picking up an enemy doesn't make any sound in Super Mario Bros USA (SMB2). Cracking a whip without striking an enemy is silent in CVIII. I could of sworn those were supposed to be there. Playing games I actually know and love on this thing only points out the flaws in it.

BTW, Retro Freak does EVERYTHING the Retrobit can do, and the emulation isn't as sucky (though the Rfreak / R5 emulators technically were "stolen"). So to anyone on the fence about getting a Retrobit Generations, I'm wondering if backdoor loading of ROMs really justifies getting one when there are so many superior options out there... :roll:

#307 Atariboy OFFLINE  

Atariboy

Quadrunner

• 6,870 posts
  • River Raider

Posted Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:09 PM

Too bad the video out quality, build quality, and the emulation quality still stinks (No sound effect in SMB2 when pulling vegetables in that video above, for instance). Not to mention that you're stuck to the supplied controllers that are less than ideal.

Would've been a neat addition had the base package been halfway decent. 

#308 Austin OFFLINE  

Austin

Quadrunner

• 11,850 posts

Posted Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:23 PM

I noticed in my limited play test video, certain sound effects are missing in both Super Mario Bros 2 and Castlevania III.

Yep. I was able to hear these flaws blatantly in the various video reviews I watched. It's pretty obvious and jarring.

#309 godslabrat OFFLINE  

godslabrat

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 4,232 posts
  • I took the midnight train going a-ny-where...

Posted Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:26 PM

And people wanna bitch about the NES Mini?

#310 onmode-ky OFFLINE  

onmode-ky

Dragonstomper

• 817 posts

Posted Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:16 PM

So far, I still have only found one claim on the Web that Onslaught doesn't start, while Gadget Twins does, versus several mentions of Gadget Twins being their systems' dead game. Which camp are the Generations owners here in? I wonder if the dead-Onslaught owners have a rare, maybe pre-production variant. And perhaps something else to ponder, anyone get a retail copy that does not have the Alfred Chicken games? I wonder if that one we saw was just a custom reviewer copy, or if Retro-Bit has actually already manufactured a second, no-chicken production run. No more finger lickin' good.

EDIT: Amazing, only 8 bytes filesize.

I would be very amused if these were the 8 bytes:

0000 0001
0000 0010
0000 0100
0000 1000
0001 0000
0010 0000
0100 0000
1000 0000

Or maybe the chars OPNSESME. Yeah, I could just look at it myself, but chances are high that it's much less fun in reality.

onmode-ky

#311 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 15,301 posts

Posted Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:30 PM

Or maybe the chars OPNSESME. Yeah, I could just look at it myself, but chances are high that it's much less fun in reality.

onmode-ky

Curiosity got the best of me, so I opened it in a hex editor. It's even lamer than what you have suggested:

FF FF FF FF
EE EE EE EE

key.bin.png

#312 phoenixdownita OFFLINE  

phoenixdownita

River Patroller

• 2,753 posts

Posted Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:17 AM

What's the naming std for the "extra" ROMs on SD?

How does it knows what's for SNES vs NES for example?

In reality I care about the arcade games, how does one go about those ROMs? Mame format? If so which version (I venture an old one)?

Maybe for the 80's hits it would work "just fine" over HDMI maybe it would be worthy. (?)

#313 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 15,301 posts

Posted Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:03 AM

What's the naming std for the "extra" ROMs on SD?

How does it knows what's for SNES vs NES for example?

In reality I care about the arcade games, how does one go about those ROMs? Mame format? If so which version (I venture an old one)?

Maybe for the 80's hits it would work "just fine" over HDMI maybe it would be worthy. (?)

Presumably the 37b5 set that Raspberry Pi and Android use? PM me if you need them and I'll hook you up! ;-)

I have not tested MAME ROMs so I have no idea if they work or not. Someone hinted in my YT video comments that so-and-so got some Neo Geo arcade ROMs running?

#314 Gavica OFFLINE  

Gavica

Chopper Commander

• 132 posts

Posted Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:17 PM

Presumably the 37b5 set that Raspberry Pi and Android use? PM me if you need them and I'll hook you up! ;-)

I have not tested MAME ROMs so I have no idea if they work or not. Someone hinted in my YT video comments that so-and-so got some Neo Geo arcade ROMs running?

has anyone been able to try any more roms? I am guessing NES, SNES, Genesis, Gamboy Advance should work almost flawlessly. I have this system, but I neer opened it and was considering returning it, but now I might keep it, but wont be able to play around with these roms until the 25th-26th

#315 evg2000 OFFLINE  

evg2000

Stargunner

• 1,276 posts

Posted Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:38 PM

Apparently neo geo games will work, or at least ghost pilot seems to work.  Don't know about the sound or speed being correct.  Atari 2600, 7800, and Jaguar don't work.  Neither does 32x.

Neo Geo Ghost Pilot running on retro-bit Generations

#316 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 15,301 posts

Posted Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:36 PM

Apparently neo geo games will work, or at least ghost pilot seems to work.  Don't know about the sound or speed being correct.  Atari 2600, 7800, and Jaguar don't work.  Neither does 32x.

What MAME version are your NEO GEO rom sets?

#317 Atariboy OFFLINE  

Atariboy

Quadrunner

• 6,870 posts
  • River Raider

Posted Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:43 AM

If they've snuck in a NeoGeo emulator, I'd suggest trying out some PC Engine and Sega Mark III roms. Was never much hope for a Japanese centric company like this to sneak in emulators for American platforms, but if NeoGeo roms work, these other two would appear to stand a good chance.

Especially Sega's 8 bit platform, considering that the Genesis emulator they're utilizing from whatever source likely was built to also run Sega Master System games and the like. 

Too bad they hadn't had a larger budget and more time, since this thing just screams of wasted potential.

Edited by Atariboy, Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:44 AM.

#318 Tanooki ONLINE  

Tanooki

River Patroller

• 2,734 posts

Posted Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:16 PM

And people wanna bitch about the NES Mini?

No doubt.  It may be closed off comparatively speaking, but damnit at least it works right. :)  The retro-bit is so bad it gives the ATGames Genesis a good name (or better name at least) I think.

#319 Jojooi812 OFFLINE  

Jojooi812

Combat Commando

• 6 posts

Posted Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:01 AM

I got sengoku , robot army and art of fighting up on neo, cps1 strider

#320 Atariboy OFFLINE  

Atariboy

Quadrunner

• 6,870 posts
  • River Raider

Posted Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:58 PM

I bet this will excite everyone. ;)

Retro-Bit Generations Portable And Super Retro Boy Handheld Coming To CES 2017

Edited by Atariboy, Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:59 PM.

#321 godslabrat OFFLINE  

godslabrat

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 4,232 posts
  • I took the midnight train going a-ny-where...

Posted Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:52 AM

A portable RBG?  Bite me.  Seriously, its a joke to even consider it, following this underwhelming plug-and-play.

A clone Gameboy...?  Now, that's worth considering.  But make no mistake about it... my standards for this thing are going to be sky-high.  Not only do I not give clones the benefit of the doubt anymore, but the Gameboy is one of my all-time favorite systems, so I won't suffer crappy playback.

#322 Pixelboy OFFLINE  

Pixelboy

Quadrunner

• 7,657 posts

Posted Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:02 AM

A clone Gameboy...?  Now, that's worth considering.  But make no mistake about it... my standards for this thing are going to be sky-high.  Not only do I not give clones the benefit of the doubt anymore, but the Gameboy is one of my all-time favorite systems, so I won't suffer crappy playback.

Or a cheap D-pad. :twisted:

#323 PikoInteractive OFFLINE  

PikoInteractive

Moonsweeper

• 462 posts

Posted Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:48 AM

Hope RB won't make the same mistake; I Think Gen Handheld would be running based off another system, I'd say/hope android.

#324 Flojomojo OFFLINE  

Flojomojo

I say boom boom boom

• 9,957 posts
  • You say bam bam bam

Posted Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:16 AM

"SuperRetroBoy: A 3-in-1 handheld, single port gaming system that instantly plays classic Game Boy, GB Color, and GB Advance games."

I'm totally with you ... I think the GBA SP with the bright screen is a high bar to clear. I love its small size, perfect controls, fold-up screen, and long battery life. It also plays every GB, GBC, and GBA game. What I don't love about it: nonstandard charging and headphone jacks, plus the fact that they don't make it anymore. 

A clone will have to be significantly better than the Revo K101, which fixes the original's issues with nonstandard charging and audio ports, and adds the ability to bring your own games. I'll bet it will be somewhat worse, but cheaper than the going rate of $110. 

#325 Flojomojo OFFLINE  

Flojomojo

I say boom boom boom

• 9,957 posts
  • You say bam bam bam

Posted Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:18 AM

oh, the shame of the double post 

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users