Photo

Retro-Bit Generations

457 replies to this topic

#376 PikoInteractive OFFLINE  

PikoInteractive

Moonsweeper

• 467 posts

Posted Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:20 AM

It's just Good Deal Games stuff on the Atari products like in previous years. On the Atari portable, it's one of the Pac-Man homebrews instead of the original (which can of course still be played via SD card).

I'm talking about Genesis though, It says Homebrew Games on the Genesis.

#377 BillLoguidice OFFLINE  

BillLoguidice

Dragonstomper

• 745 posts
  • Armchair Arcade

Posted Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:35 AM

I'm talking about Genesis though, It says Homebrew Games on the Genesis.

They just meant the usual bonus games. Not homebrews in the sense that we know. The HD model will have something different, but still not homebrews.

#378 PikoInteractive OFFLINE  

PikoInteractive

Moonsweeper

• 467 posts

Posted Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:12 AM

They just meant the usual bonus games. Not homebrews in the sense that we know. The HD model will have something different, but still not homebrews.

Yeah that's what I thought, the mini games they normally include. UI is very good btw, they are stepping up their game.

#379 Flojomojo ONLINE  

Flojomojo

I say boom boom boom

• 10,302 posts
  • You say bam bam bam

Posted Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:51 AM

I wish we could we trade those "bonus games" for stuff from EA, other licensees, or an SD card slot. Next year, pretty please?

#380 BillLoguidice OFFLINE  

BillLoguidice

Dragonstomper

• 745 posts
  • Armchair Arcade

Posted Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:59 AM

I wish we could we trade those "bonus games" for stuff from EA, other licensees, or an SD card slot. Next year, pretty please?

On the HD unit I think you may be happy with the extra games this time.

Unfortunately, EA has been a challenge to work with. Obviously, it's a natural target for 16-bit stuff.

#381 godslabrat OFFLINE  

godslabrat

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 4,307 posts
  • I took the midnight train going a-ny-where...

Posted Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:36 PM

On the HD unit I think you may be happy with the extra games this time.

Unfortunately, EA has been a challenge to work with. Obviously, it's a natural target for 16-bit stuff.

I realize you can't comment as to exactly what's been said or not said, so I'll throw out my opinion on the matter-- I'm amazed that some of these companies are so hesitant to monetize code that hasn't been worth a dime for 20 years. Sure, there's a few Mario and Zelda games that can still sell for a good buck today, but how realistic is it to try and re-sell a sports game from the 90s? If they have the chance, they'd be stupid not to take it.

#382 PikoInteractive OFFLINE  

PikoInteractive

Moonsweeper

• 467 posts

Posted Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:10 PM

Ive offered my games as we have slowly acquired games that were officially released for the genesis like Gadget Twins, the humans, battle squadron, sword of sodan, and working on more. But last time Ive heard PK said he has already too many game licenses lol.

#383 Flojomojo ONLINE  

Flojomojo

I say boom boom boom

• 10,302 posts
  • You say bam bam bam

Posted Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:08 PM

I realize you can't comment as to exactly what's been said or not said, so I'll throw out my opinion on the matter-- I'm amazed that some of these companies are so hesitant to monetize code that hasn't been worth a dime for 20 years. Sure, there's a few Mario and Zelda games that can still sell for a good buck today, but how realistic is it to try and re-sell a sports game from the 90s? If they have the chance, they'd be stupid not to take it.

The chicken scratch that AtGames would pay would probably not cover the cost of spinning up EA's IP lawyers who would grant the license. 

The last time I've seen vintage EA console stuff was this small collection of SNES and Genesis games on a PSP disc. They never bothered to do a digital release in North America, so I suspect it wasn't a big seller. It was OK but unremarkable. 

Most of their good PC stuff is on GOG. I wonder what the secret sauce is?

#384 PikoInteractive OFFLINE  

PikoInteractive

Moonsweeper

• 467 posts

Posted Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:11 PM

The chicken scratch that AtGames would pay would probably not cover the cost of spinning up EA's IP lawyers who would grant the license. 

The last time I've seen vintage EA console stuff was this small collection of SNES and Genesis games on a PSP disc. They never bothered to do a digital release in North America, so I suspect it wasn't a big seller. It was OK but unremarkable. 

Most of their good PC stuff is on GOG. I wonder what the secret sauce is?

I doubt very much they own BOB lol. It is made by Gray Matter guys; but probably they thought they could use it anyways.

#385 Flojomojo ONLINE  

Flojomojo

I say boom boom boom

• 10,302 posts
  • You say bam bam bam

Posted Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:19 PM

I doubt very much they own BOB lol. It is made by Gray Matter guys; but probably they thought they could use it anyways.

I had to look that up. https://en.m.wikiped....B._(video_game)

That wasn't really what I had in mind. I thought it was Robocod or some other generic British Amiga type thing at first.

I was thinking of Road Rash, Skitchin', Starflight, and some 3D air combat games. Stuff I liked as a young adult.

#386 Flojomojo ONLINE  

Flojomojo

I say boom boom boom

• 10,302 posts
  • You say bam bam bam

Posted Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:21 PM

Wow, there were a TON of EA games on Genesis. Mostly sports and ports, but a lot.

http://segaretro.org/Electronic_Arts

#387 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 15,451 posts

Posted Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:00 AM

Most Pro sports organizations will not license character rosters for previous years in any circumstances, and have updated rules for licensees with regard to game rules and mechanics. NFL Blitz got dumbed down in subsequent releases for being to violent, ie no penalties and obscene rough hits, despite the original being IMO the funnest football game ever made. Also big licensing fees too.

Though in some circumstances, player names can be stripped out. I think it is telling that Tecmo Bowl got released on NES Mini, with only player numbers and city names for the teams. Techmo Super Bowl got an NFL license bitd, so NFL, the "Super" in Super Bowl, team logos, team names, and player names would all have to be removed. NBA Jam got reissued for Wii so sometimes good things happen.

As for other games, for instance Capcom's Disney games and Konami's Turtles et al, exclusive license deals with other developers exclude retro releases, and all parties involved must renegotiate. When Nikelodean made the new Turtles reboots, I forget who they gave the exclusive license to for video game rights, but all the classic Konami ports got taken down from PSN, XBLA, and eShop VC overnight.

It really is a legal quagmire licensing old retro games unless the current rights holder for the game code, hardware, and any third party IP contained within the game can cooperate. If Retrobit Generations proved anything, it's that previously licensed 3rd party Nintendo games can be relicensed to other third parties without Nintendo's involvement. If anything, only the title screen needs tweaking with most titles, which Nintendo did for many VC releases. Look at the RARE collection for 360, which included HD remasters of many N64 games.

#388 phoenixdownita OFFLINE  

phoenixdownita

River Patroller

• 2,807 posts

Posted Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:50 PM

Yeah that's what I thought, the mini games they normally include. UI is very good btw, they are stepping up their game.

Given you had ~33% of the games on the retro-bit gen and given this is the thread about it, do you happen to know if they're gonna come out with a better/fixed unit?

#389 PikoInteractive OFFLINE  

PikoInteractive

Moonsweeper

• 467 posts

Posted Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:51 PM

I know for sure they have the snes timing issues fixed, which was #1 problem. Dont know when they release the new firmware to the public. Dunno about genesis frame rate. That is for generations, if they do a new one they will upgrade the processing power. But I dont know about this.

#390 godslabrat OFFLINE  

godslabrat

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 4,307 posts

Posted Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:29 PM

Glad the SNES issues are fixed, but so long as you're tied to that proprietary USB-but-not-USB controller, this thing is still a non-starter.

#391 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 15,451 posts

Posted Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:04 PM

Glad the SNES issues are fixed, but so long as you're tied to that proprietary USB-but-not-USB controller, this thing is still a non-starter.

QFT. Those pads are rubbish. It's like someone took the Yobo Genesis clone controller, and knocked it off with an even more inferior product. One of mine, the Dpad inputs would sporadically not work unless I mashed hard. The other had a similar issue on one of the action buttons. The tactile click happens before the actual actuation. After you feel the domes depress, you still need to add pressure to reliably register a move, so I found myself getting ham thumb from hitting the Dpad too hard. Really crappy, flimsy plastic that would snap in half if you twisted the controller ends in opposite directions. The Rgen USB controller creaks like crazy and I tried this with an OEM 6-button Sega controller and it didn't budge one bit.

It wouldn't be so bad if I could just remap one of those Yobo cloned Genesis inspired USB controller. Also a lot of games the A and B were swapped and controls just all over the place between systems. It doesn't matter that you can remap the stock gamepad if it is junk and no 3rd party replacements exist. Combine that with glaring emulation issues across the board, sub par controls, and Retrobit Gen feels like a great idea but terrible execution. Many of the games (alfred chicken et al) would be fun if the emulation wasn't so janky. Too fast, too slow SNES emulation; missing sound effects on NES, etc...

#392 phoenixdownita OFFLINE  

phoenixdownita

River Patroller

• 2,807 posts

Posted Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:10 PM

I know for sure they have the snes timing issues fixed, which was #1 problem. Dont know when they release the new firmware to the public. Dunno about genesis frame rate. That is for generations, if they do a new one they will upgrade the processing power. But I dont know about this.

Well thanks for sharing I didn't even know there was a plan to release a new firmware. I hope they don't close the door to play via SD thru that keyfile, I really would love to keep the ability to add more CPS-1/2 arcades.

Given how bad it was received and how cheap it can be had now though I am not sure they will ever release it, what's to salvage?

On a different note, given you have many SNES games there how come it didn't show that emulation was too fast?

I mean, did they even give you guys a chance to playtest the thing?

#393 PikoInteractive OFFLINE  

PikoInteractive

Moonsweeper

• 467 posts

Posted Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:10 PM

I implored them that if they were going with genesis style ( i would prefered snes) was the bigger version of the genesis one; but they went with the tiny one. Im not a fan.

Edited by PikoInteractive, Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:10 PM.

#394 phoenixdownita OFFLINE  

phoenixdownita

River Patroller

• 2,807 posts

Posted Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:24 PM

I implored them that if they were going with genesis style ( i would prefered snes) was the bigger version of the genesis one; but they went with the tiny one. Im not a fan.

Actually given there's so many NES/SNES games it's weird they didn't chose a snes pad lookalike (shoulder buttons and all), the shoulder buttons would have helped for the GBA games too (all 3 of them ahem, all yours) .... dunno I am still waiting for a saturn like pad (with 6 face buttons + shoulder) on these retro-this/retro-that things I believe it would help.

#395 phoenixdownita OFFLINE  

phoenixdownita

River Patroller

• 2,807 posts

Posted Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:09 PM

Sorry to ask more:

http://www.nintendol...xpected_in_july

Are your games on it? Is it the exact same HW?

#396 Atariboy OFFLINE  

Atariboy

Quadrunner

• 6,871 posts
  • River Raider

Posted Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:11 PM

A widescreen display for a device full of 4:3 games?

lol

#397 Flojomojo ONLINE  

Flojomojo

I say boom boom boom

• 10,302 posts
  • You say bam bam bam

Posted Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:42 AM

Speaking of wrong sized screens, that reminds me, we should see the GameBoy clone machine this week, too.

#398 godslabrat OFFLINE  

godslabrat

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 4,307 posts

Posted Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:39 AM

Speaking of wrong sized screens, that reminds me, we should see the GameBoy clone machine this week, too.

I am lusting over that.  Seriously, Retro-Bit, if you screw that up, you'll make Mike Kennedy look like Time's Man of the Year to me...

#399 PikoInteractive OFFLINE  

PikoInteractive

Moonsweeper

• 467 posts

Posted Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:46 AM

I dunno about the handheld; I dont know if they will show on the E3 either. I hope they announce everything soon lol.

#400 godslabrat OFFLINE  

godslabrat

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 4,307 posts

Posted Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:33 AM

I dunno about the handheld; I dont know if they will show on the E3 either. I hope they announce everything soon lol.

IIRC, Retro-Bit does not have any official presence at E3, but like a lot of companies that don't, they have a strategic announcement planned for the week.  

1 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users