IGNORED

Retro-Bit Generations

Sorry to ask more:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/01/the_retro-bit_generations_portable_is_expected_in_july

Are your games on it? Is it the exact same HW?

I like how it says "premium analog stick in the promo flyer when it's clearly a Dpad... :roll:

original.jpg

A widescreen display for a device full of 4:3 games?

lol

I hope they don't crop and chop the games like they did on last year's console. Two reasons why I used the AV out instead of the HDMI: the digital signal was extremely laggy (I have a low latency PC monitor so don't blame my setup), and all the games were chopped and cropped by default, and kept reverting the display settings. Why it was not pillarbox by default I have no idea.

And really 4:3 screens are very hard to source in this day and age unless you commission custom screens from a factory, so expect retro devices to use 16:9 screens because that is the new standard. Even the AVS portable by RetroUSB will use a 800x480 screen with optional pillarbox (2:2 pixel integer scale) and stretch (3:2 pixel integer scale) modes, because he has to use off-the-shelf parts to manufacture them.

• Like 2

Not news out of E3, but over in Japan, Retro-Bit's distributor, JNNEX (apparently pronounced "Jaynecks," according to its katakana rendering) announced on June 15th (Japan time) a Retro-Bit Generations II, due for release this summer in Japan at an open price point (i.e., no MSRP). The publishers represented this time around are a bunch of companies I've never heard of: Capcom (okay, I might have heard of them before, once or twice), Athena, Woodplace, and Coconuts Japan/Soft Vision. The press release I linked above includes a 42-title game list broken down by publisher, even indicating which games are arcade/8-bit/16-bit/handheld--but given that the original Generations had a fluctuating game list up until release and never got a true finalized list until I made one, I won't bother replicating their list here. I will note, though, that the Coconuts Japan/Soft Vision list includes a whopping 13 titles in a "Pachio-kun" series, Pachio-kun apparently being a pachinko/gambling mascot character. And, the Athena list has 3 mahjong titles; this is one weird mix of genres on this system.

Of note, it will only come with one controller this time, and the press release says they plan to release separately sold "Genestick" (name not final) controllers, also at an open price point. Of even more note, the last sentence in the press release says they have plans for a third and a fourth entry in the Retro-Bit Generations series. Because sure, why not, you know?

So, anyone hyped to import this? I imagine this is a must-buy for the Pachio-kun superfan.

onmode-ky

P.S. Varth is in their list. No mention of whether they plan on having it rotated 90 degrees again.

• Like 2

Not news out of E3, but over in Japan, Retro-Bit's distributor, JNNEX (apparently pronounced "Jaynecks," according to its katakana rendering) announced on June 15th (Japan time) a Retro-Bit Generations II, due for release this summer in Japan at an open price point (i.e., no MSRP). The publishers represented this time around are a bunch of companies I've never heard of: Capcom (okay, I might have heard of them before, once or twice), Athena, Woodplace, and Coconuts Japan/Soft Vision. The press release I linked above includes a 42-title game list broken down by publisher, even indicating which games are arcade/8-bit/16-bit/handheld--but given that the original Generations had a fluctuating game list up until release and never got a true finalized list until I made one, I won't bother replicating their list here. I will note, though, that the Coconuts Japan/Soft Vision list includes a whopping 13 titles in a "Pachio-kun" series, Pachio-kun apparently being a pachinko/gambling mascot character. And, the Athena list has 3 mahjong titles; this is one weird mix of genres on this system.

Of note, it will only come with one controller this time, and the press release says they plan to release separately sold "Genestick" (name not final) controllers, also at an open price point. Of even more note, the last sentence in the press release says they have plans for a third and a fourth entry in the Retro-Bit Generations series. Because sure, why not, you know?

So, anyone hyped to import this? I imagine this is a must-buy for the Pachio-kun superfan.

onmode-ky

P.S. Varth is in their list. No mention of whether they plan on having it rotated 90 degrees again.

I got a sample of the V2 model; VArth works vertical now.

• Like 1

onmode-ky

I hope it's a huge improvement over the first one for sure.

Given the kind of games onmode-ky listed I doubt we will see that selection in the US version (if it ever emerges that is).

I still hope they leave the possibility to run other capcom games from the SD though. We'll see, something tells me they're gonna royally fuxx it up again and I'll be able to pick one up for very cheap later on, as I said even just for shit and giggles.

• Like 2

That would make picking up one of the originals a lot more compelling ---but I hear the build quality and controllers aren't so hot.

Nothing is hot about it BUT playing CPS1 games (albeit with slowdowns and stuttering here and there, hence hoping for some fixes) is fun.

I have not yet tried the CPS2 games, will see which one works and really how good bad it is.

It would have been even more cool if they had a version of Mame (rather than a CPS emu) so even Capcom oldies like 1942, Ghosts'n'Goblins, Commando could have been enjoyed via this little device.

I know this is just my opinion but they actually did something good enabling Arcade games to be played .... I think they should stick to that, and I mean Arcades (my opinion), and bring back those Data-East, Irem, Jaleco etc....

So what did they announce at E3? [i mean the retrobit gen people]

I talked to these folks at E3 and they had a new box, similar to the Retro Bit Generations but carrying a different name. They were demoing the system using an old Game Boy title. The developer was there and he admitted to the problems with the original Retro Bit Generations. He also said the product was rushed, which is why he felt it had so many problems. Although I can't remember what he called the new product, he did say that Capcom, one of their working partners, had not yet agreed with them on a name.

Now I know one guy working a booth can't speak for the whole company, but he did tell me that he would love to give people who bought the original Retro Bit Generations the chance to exchange it for the new product. I don't know if that will happen, but if it does, I can respect them for standing by their customers.

• Like 1

I talked to these folks at E3 and they had a new box, similar to the Retro Bit Generations but carrying a different name. They were demoing the system using an old Game Boy title. The developer was there and he admitted to the problems with the original Retro Bit Generations. He also said the product was rushed, which is why he felt it had so many problems. Although I can't remember what he called the new product, he did say that Capcom, one of their working partners, had not yet agreed with them on a name.

Now I know one guy working a booth can't speak for the whole company, but he did tell me that he would love to give people who bought the original Retro Bit Generations the chance to exchange it for the new product. I don't know if that will happen, but if it does, I can respect them for standing by their customers.

Take it with a grain of salt.

The V2 version is hardware upgrade too. And Im not going to have games on it so I dropped interest.

Will do my own starting with 8bit hardware.

• Like 1

Spent more time with the RBG and almost all CPS and CPS-dash games work (I think I found a couple broken), not so wrt CPS-2.

For the CPS-2 the only fighters among the Street Fighters, Xmen, Marvel, DarkStalker and Vampire Savior that do work are SSF2 and SFA (that's it), the rest do not work, Megaman and Megaman 2 works (they are 1on1 fighters).

I'd say around half (likely less) of the CPS-2 library works (19XX works but not 1944, DD-TOD works but not DD-SOM etc...etc....).

Wrt CPS (1-2) emulation in general it is what it is, stuttering, not exactly in sync etc.... a likely sign that the HW can't keep up with whatever emu they are using. Pulling Hadouken in SSF2 is harder than it should, not so bad in SFA Normal mode (haven't tried Turbo), the initial background of Super Puzzle Fighters 2 Turbo shows stuttering in all of its glory.

Wrt to CPS 2 games there are 4 categories:

1) loads and works

2) loads partially and throws "Invalid format" (but you get back in the menu, around 1/2 the library fits here)

3) loads partially and locks (need to reboot the thing, it literally locks at the animated loading icon)

4) loads and starts to a black screen (need to reboot the thing)

There's like 4 or 5 each for the last 2 categories, unfortunate if you ask me as it means the emulator is not that good if it locks up on load or on start. I also had 1 separate case in which I was playing, managed to get back to menu (START+MODE during play) and got locked there ... buggy!!!

It's been entertaining to look at some of those CPS (1-2) games that I've never heard of, other than that emulation and/or HW needs to step up for this product to be any interesting.

Aside the name Retro-cade they showed a white box version of the RGB shell and they stated is gonna be all arcades from Capcom, Jaleco, Irem and Data East .... given I've got most of the CPS 1 catalog running and roughly half of CPS 2 on the RGB I can see how Capcom all arcade may be achieved (at least wrt CPS) but for the rest I doubt there are stock emulators aside from mame .... so maybe it's gonna be a mame-ish box !?!?!

They talked about the UI being better (with favorites, by publishers etc....) .... we'll see but I can't shake off that feeling that there will be a chunk of consoles based emu again (hopefully with better quality but that's not the point).

• Like 1