Photo

APE not working with Windows 10 and RS-232

23 replies to this topic

#1 cbmeeks OFFLINE  

cbmeeks

Moonsweeper

• 311 posts

Posted Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:09 PM

I am using an original Atari 800.  On my Windows 10 machine, I have a USB to 9 pin adapter.  My SIO to PC device is the old one (NOT USB).

The SIO to PC worked on my Windows XP machine years ago.  The USB to 9 pin adapter I have now works with other devices.  But they don't seem to work together.

I run the configuration wizard and it says it was successful.  However, it then shows "[Device Manager] RS232 Driver Failed to Initialize! (USB ONLY Mode Enabled)"

Booting the Atari from a mounted disk does nothing.  I only get the memo pad.

The version of APE I am using is 3.0.2.  The SIO to PC devices just shows a red light.

Any ideas what it could be?

Thanks.

#2 Stephen OFFLINE  

Stephen

Quadrunner

• 7,221 posts
  • A8 Gear Head

Posted Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:09 PM

I can assume the USB to serial device is based on an FTDI chip.  On my Windows 10-64 machine, I first had to get VCP drivers for it.  I am trying to think if I needed the APE 64-bit drivers as well (to run my "generic" device, or if I only did that for the Tucker USB version).

#3 Timothy Kline OFFLINE  

Timothy Kline

Moonsweeper

• 347 posts

Posted Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:11 PM

I am using an original Atari 800.  On my Windows 10 machine, I have a USB to 9 pin adapter.  My SIO to PC device is the old one (NOT USB).

The SIO to PC worked on my Windows XP machine years ago.  The USB to 9 pin adapter I have now works with other devices.  But they don't seem to work together.

I run the configuration wizard and it says it was successful.  However, it then shows "[Device Manager] RS232 Driver Failed to Initialize! (USB ONLY Mode Enabled)"

Booting the Atari from a mounted disk does nothing.  I only get the memo pad.

The version of APE I am using is 3.0.2.  The SIO to PC devices just shows a red light.

Any ideas what it could be?

Thanks.

When you start APE, do the LEDs light up?

The other thing you'll want to make sure is that you have the signed drivers released by AtariMAX, as Windows 8 and up are grumpy when it comes to unsigned drivers. You can grab the latest signed drivers from the AtariMax forum as long as you've registered for an account.

http://www.atarimax....c.php?f=5&t=889

--Tim

#4 Timothy Kline OFFLINE  

Timothy Kline

Moonsweeper

• 347 posts

Posted Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:15 PM

The other thing I'm seeing is that if you're running a 64-bit version of W10, you might be stuck unless you purchase the Version 3.0.13 which includes 64-bit RS232, USB and VCP Support.

--Tim

#5 cbmeeks OFFLINE  

cbmeeks

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 311 posts

Posted Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:52 PM

Thanks for the responses.  

To answer a few questions..

I am using 64 bit Windows 10.  The USB to 9 pin serial is based on the FTDI chip but I have used it successfully recently.  I use it to transfer data to an Apple IIe serial card.  So I know it works and the driver should be good.

I think the problem is on the APE end.  What does it take to get 64 bit RS232 support?  Buying the software?

Thanks.

#6 Larry OFFLINE  

Larry

River Patroller

• 4,035 posts

Posted Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:54 AM

Contact Atarimax. Ape was never designed to run with an adapter of that sort. To be reliable you likely need his usb adapter and probably licensed software.

Edit: Pretty sure this topic has been covered at the Atarimax forum.  Folks have been trying this type of setup for a long time -- including me.

-Larry

#7 atarifanboi OFFLINE  

atarifanboi

Chopper Commander

• 224 posts

Posted Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:17 AM

I'm pretty sure that it says somewhere in the docs for the serial port version of the SIO2 PC by Atarimax, that it DOESN'T work with USB to serial adapters.

The USB drivers for APE only work (AFAIK) with the USB version of SIO2PC.

I have a Windows 10 PC running APE and it took a while to make my serial card actually work with it due to driver issues, but it does indeed work.

#8 Gunstar OFFLINE  

Gunstar

Gunstar

• 9,531 posts

Posted Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:37 AM

I've been through this, I have a COM2USB cable adapter and drivers and it works fine with AspQT, and with Prosystem from APE, but will not work with APE itself. So I have been using AspQT for file transfers and Imagic and Prosystem from APE for other stuff. I don't think Tucker intends to make a version to work with generic RS232 versions using a USB adapter. It would cut into his SIO2USB sales. Just use AspeQT or buy a new adapter from AtariMax.

#9 w1k OFFLINE  

w1k

Stargunner

• 1,669 posts

Posted Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:21 AM

looool...

ape

welcome in 1983

#10 Brentarian OFFLINE  

Brentarian

Moonsweeper

• 423 posts

Posted Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:51 PM

If your PC is a desktop you could easily install a serial card for under $20 (Amazon, EBay, Newegg, etc.).  

#11 atarifanboi OFFLINE  

atarifanboi

Chopper Commander

• 224 posts

Posted Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:29 AM

If your PC is a desktop you could easily install a serial card for under $20 (Amazon, EBay, Newegg, etc.).  

Exactly what I did :)

#12 Bikerbob OFFLINE  

Bikerbob

Dragonstomper

• 630 posts

Posted Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:23 AM

I am not sure about everything that has been mentioned. 

1. I am NOW a registered user of APE. But I did get the Trial to work with an original SIO2PC (Serial) 

2. I have used that with a 15 year old serial to USB converter. All the software is concerned with.. is it a com port, am I getting the correct hand shaking and is the data coming and going using the correct lines. All the driver software does is re-route traffic.

3. Native SIO2USB - this I am not positive on. I think.. you need to be registered to use APE with windows 10. 

If you simply want ATR access - No printer, no network, no modem etc.. use AspeQt or RespQt .. as far as I am aware they work pretty well.

I am waiting on 2 FTL breakout boards to come in. If you search threads.. there is talk about these being used.. and if I remember correctly with APE and I THINK.. not positive they used the trial version USB on windows 7. 

James

#13 Spanner OFFLINE  

Spanner

Chopper Commander

• 165 posts

Posted Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:13 PM

So Ape don't work with SIO2PC that is made with a FTDI chip..?,well It don't with mine....Thats the unregistered version,It works I think if you have the full version but I am not sure...I don't have the full version.

#14 DrVenkman OFFLINE  

DrVenkman

River Patroller

• 3,552 posts
  • Back off, man! I'm a scientist.

Posted Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:31 PM

So Ape don't work with SIO2PC that is made with a FTDI chip..?,well It don't with mine....Thats the unregistered version,It works I think if you have the full version but I am not sure...I don't have the full version.

Please stop with the bullshit. I have one of Ray's devices  (with an FTDI chip) made in 2014 or so. Works fine with AspeQt, RespeQt, SIO2OSX (*), and yes - APE/ProSystem's trial version. Hell, it even worked with APE ON MY MAC! when I ran it under CrossOver and created a symlink from an empty file called "COM2" to the proper /dev/USB device in the file system.

(*) Before changes to OS X made that program stop functioning.

#15 Spanner OFFLINE  

Spanner

Chopper Commander

• 165 posts

Posted Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:59 PM

Well its not working with mine..its detect it I can't load a Disk image and it says this.. [Device Manager] RS232 Driver Failed to Initialize! (USB ONLY Mode Enabled)

This is the one I am using,the one I made.. http://atariage.com/...-but-effective/

Edited by Spanner, Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:01 PM.

#16 Kyle22 OFFLINE  

Kyle22

River Patroller

• 3,660 posts
  • Call my BBS! telnet://broadway1.lorexddns.net

Posted Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:08 PM

I bought a cheap Chinese FTDi cable from eBay and soldered it in to an SIO plug. Works perfectly with RespeQt and APE.
APE limits me to 52K UltraSpeed, but RespeQt runs fine at full speed 125K divisor 0.

Check your drivers for the USB device. Check the serial port parameters in Device Manager.

#17 Kyle22 OFFLINE  

Kyle22

River Patroller

• 3,660 posts

Posted Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:13 PM

Have you changed the PID/VID back to FTDI defaults?
The individual that built that cable found it necessary to use a custom PID/VID for his device.
I uploaded the tools here (somewhere) to fix this.

#18 _The Doctor__ ONLINE  

_The Doctor__

Quadrunner

• 5,558 posts

Posted Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:19 PM

Might be a good idea to put pictures of your adapter cord handiwork up, might shed some light on things... sometimes they are crap from china and you can do it all the same with a slightly different device though called or even labeled as being the same and one works the other doesn't

#19 Kyle22 OFFLINE  

Kyle22

River Patroller

• 3,660 posts

Posted Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:24 PM

Edit: I thought you had an A8W device. Upon re-reading your OP, I see that you are running an RS232 device.
Does Win 10 support RS232?

Edited by Kyle22, Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:29 PM.

#20 DrVenkman OFFLINE  

DrVenkman

River Patroller

• 3,552 posts
  • Back off, man! I'm a scientist.

Posted Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:29 PM

Have you tried this on an XP (or 7) machine?
You may have better results.

For what it's worth, I used my Ray-made device with APE/ProSystem trial version to copy a copy a couple disks from a 1050 a few months ago under Win10 just fine. 

#21 Kyle22 OFFLINE  

Kyle22

River Patroller

• 3,660 posts

Posted Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:48 PM

For what it's worth, I used my Ray-made device with APE/ProSystem trial version to copy a copy a couple disks from a 1050 a few months ago under Win10 just fine. 

#22 Caterpiggle OFFLINE  

Caterpiggle

Dragonstomper

• 765 posts

Posted Thu Mar 1, 2018 9:24 AM

Hello to you all,

I have an older Serial 2SIO device , (NOT USB2SIO) BUT serial. I recently brought serial adapter to connect between my PC Window 7. My ProSystem 3.0.3 (Full version) seems does not detected on my Atari 1050 (Yes, it is on and it is on Drive 1). I only see my serial adapter is on with blue LED on. But I don't see any activity on Serial2SIO device ?? Must I download 64 bits driver for my serial2SIO ? BUT I have another USB2SIO device and it is works great with just USB cable only.

#23 _The Doctor__ ONLINE  

_The Doctor__

Quadrunner

• 5,558 posts

Posted Thu Mar 1, 2018 11:18 AM

Not all serial adapter cables contain proper drivers and/or the devices themselves doesn't do true independent control lines. once you have a proper driver and the device works with modems etc. then it's time to try and tackle what control may or may not need to be disconnected or hooked up to function properly

maybe something here helpful...

https://serialio.com...pter-in-windows

also this might be of some use though it tops out at 230000... for the original devices that's not an issue...

http://www.usconvert...-adapter-xs8801

there are a tons of these adapters out there but so many are shite... made with crap parts or simply don't have any real independent flow control, drivers, or even good virtual come port implementations...

a little digging and reading and you'll more than likely find something that works well enough..

Edited by _The Doctor__, Thu Mar 1, 2018 11:30 AM.

#24 Caterpiggle OFFLINE  

Caterpiggle

Dragonstomper

• 765 posts

Posted Thu Mar 1, 2018 4:39 PM

I recently read the first link. It says, it must accept ONLY between COM1 to COM4 and I settled as COM5. So I will changed from COM5 to COM4. I will let you know if it is works at this time...

Report back. It still failed in COM4. My serial adapter is not cheap manufactured. It is well known name. My author of ADT Pro software for Apple II computer. He recommended me to buy this genuine serial adapter. 

Maybe my serial2SIO device is really broken ? Why ? Because SIO port is a bit bend up. It is not really flat. That is my main suspect ...

I will give you the exactly name of this serial adapter.

I found the link : https://www.amazon.c...=serial adapter

Look at Amazon which I ordered over 3 years ago. It is works great on my Apple //gs to my PC Tower.  See it is PREMIUM product.

Edited by Caterpiggle, Thu Mar 1, 2018 4:59 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users