IGNORED

PromoVision PRO-1000 title generator

Savetz

I got a PromoVision PRO-1000 recently, and just dug into it today. It's a video titling generator based on the 1200XL. It came with a dozen demo disks and (as a surprise to me!) a cart with custom character generation software. I have dumped the disks, and hope to dump the cart on Tuesday with Paul Westphal's help.

I haven't been able to try the software/disks because the 1200XL keyboard isn't working well (only 3 keys seem to work) and the cartridge only runs on the machine it came with. I tested it with another 1200XL and an 800XL, and they just won't boot. The cart is somehow keyed to work only with the machine it was sold with.

post-803-0-66981400-1466368246_thumb.jpgpost-803-0-92548100-1466368251_thumb.jpgpost-803-0-60117500-1466368227_thumb.jpgpost-803-0-74945300-1466368232_thumb.jpgpost-803-0-39091200-1466368235_thumb.jpgpost-803-0-17536800-1466368241_thumb.jpgpost-803-0-27083800-1466368259_thumb.jpgpost-803-0-56788200-1466368331_thumb.jpgpost-803-0-32801900-1466368334_thumb.jpgpost-803-0-47888100-1466368656_thumb.jpg

Here are the disk images. They all say "707 free sectors" but they're not actually blank. I don't think they are useful without the cart. Has this cart been dumped before?

Promovision_Bank_Demo.atrPromovision_Graphic_Demo.atrPromovision_Pro-1000_Demo.atrPromovision_Real_Estate_Demo.atrPromovision_Record_Store_Demo.atrPromovision_Restaurant_Demo.atrPromovision_Supermarket_Demo.atrPromovision_Travel_Demo.atrPromovision_Xmas_Demo.atrPromovision_Discount_Department_Store.atrPromovision_Houseware_Graphics.atrPromovision_Retail_Demo.atr

• Like 6

Have you opened up the computer to take a look inside? The cart could be checking for a custom OS or maybe even a jumper or circuitry near the joystick ports (i.e. Paperclip dongle).

What is that covering the cart tunnel? Edit: I see your message above about the covering.

Edited by Brentarian

Thanks. I'll crack it open on Tuesday with Paul.

While I'm thinking of it: what's a reliable way that I can dump carts like these WITHOUT Windows? I am willing to use a Mac or an Atari. This is the forth or fifth cart I've needed to dump and I keep needing to find friends who can do it, but they all have Windows-based solutions.

Kevin

We should enhance the program to make broadcast quality video:

1. add interlace http://atariage.com/forums/topic/144629-new-demo-release-memopad-480i/

(hmm, but even with this hack there are no serration pulses).

2. add genlock.. maybe replace the Atari main crystal with a PLL

Item 2: Not as easy as it seems. You need to have that PLL synced to the live video's vertical and horizontal sync (not terribly difficult) and to its colorburst (slightly more difficult). And then you will have a problem with SIO not working properly since its timing is very much tied into the A8's master clock, and its not going to like the inevitable stretched pulses that result when actively being genlocked. I know this from past experience.

- Michael

• Like 1

Item 2: Not as easy as it seems. You need to have that PLL synced to the live video's vertical and horizontal sync (not terribly difficult) and to its colorburst (slightly more difficult). And then you will have a problem with SIO not working properly since its timing is very much tied into the A8's master clock, and its not going to like the inevitable stretched pulses that result when actively being genlocked. I know this from past experience.

- Michael

One crazy way: add a time base corrector to the Atari, see: http://marcusgun.awardspace.com/newvidproc.html

It's only a few chips! :-)

• Like 1

The guy thats selling the NIB 130XE's, XF551's and XDM printers in Dallas was using them for character generation at hospitals... Trying to get a copy of the software he was using... I want to say he told me it was custom... So maybe something new to add...

And I scored one of each from him!! :)

• Like 1

One crazy way: add a time base corrector to the Atari, see: http://marcusgun.awardspace.com/newvidproc.html

It's only a few chips! :-)

Wow I sure could have used this info 20 years ago, but then again some of those chips might not have been available at the time. Thanks for the link, I found it very interesting.

- Michael

I made a 34-minute video showing all 12 of the Promovision demo disks.

In this order:

Promovision_Pro-1000_Demo.atr

Promovision_Bank_Demo.atr
Promovision_Graphic_Demo.atr
Promovision_Real_Estate_Demo.atr
Promovision_Record_Store_Demo.atr
Promovision_Restaurant_Demo.atr
Promovision_Supermarket_Demo.atr
Promovision_Travel_Demo.atr
Promovision_Xmas_Demo.atr
Promovision_Discount_Department_Store.atr
Promovision_Houseware_Graphics.atr