Upcoming Jaguar SD Cartridge

553 replies to this topic

#1 SainT OFFLINE  

SainT

Dragonstomper

• 684 posts

Posted Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:39 PM

POPULAR

I've been getting quite a few PM's and messages in the Lynx SD thread asking about a Jaguar SD cartridge (Everdrive style), which I've hinted at in a few other places. I thought I'd just make it known that the design for a Jaguar SD cartridge is largely complete and I've started some actual work on it. Although the Lynx SD cartridge production is taking all my spare time at the moment, so until I've got that under control then progress will be slow.

What I have got sorted is a good start, however. I've got a windows tool chain setup for the Jag. I have replaced the boot ROM with my own code and have hooked the Jag up to my trusty old SC1224. Next up is interfacing the Jag's DSP port to the PC via a microcontroller using the high speed synchronous serial interface. This will then let me actually do simple dev work on the Jag to test cartridge hardware.

This is going to be a while yet, it could well take another 6-12 months depending on how much time I need to devote to the Lynx SD, as this is just a hobby for me, so my time is limited.

There are no pre-order lists or anything like that, and I will ask for posts relating to this to be removed as it's just way too early. However if anyone wants to ask any questions, or if I have any progress updates, this thread is a good place for them.

Edited by SainT, Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:45 PM.

#2 JaguarBrett OFFLINE  

JaguarBrett

Chopper Commander

• 232 posts

Posted Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:42 PM

This is fantastic news indeed! Will certainly look forward to hearing more.

Thank you sir for your efforts 👍🍻

#3 davidcalgary29 OFFLINE  

davidcalgary29

Quadrunner

• 5,194 posts

Posted Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:56 PM

Amazing! I'd imagine that the demand will be immense, and on-going. :)

#4 fille1976 OFFLINE  

fille1976

Star Raider

• 63 posts

Posted Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:00 PM

i have a v3 skunkboard,will be happy i can change it for saints card.

#5 racerx OFFLINE  

racerx

Dragonstomper

• 902 posts

Posted Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:04 PM

Please add me to the l...

Oh, right. :)

#6 goaltoss OFFLINE  

goaltoss

Star Raider

• 86 posts

Posted Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:06 PM

This is awesome. I noticed in another thread you were asking about save ram.  So is it safe to assume that the cart will support game saves?

#7 Guitari OFFLINE  

Guitari

Stargunner

• 1,575 posts

Posted Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:19 PM

Presumably saint's sd solution will quicken the pace of homebrew development as devs can instantly upload to a real jag rather than the time consuming skunk methods.

#8 SlangeUG OFFLINE  

SlangeUG

Combat Commando

• 7 posts

Posted Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:51 PM

This is the best news I've heard in a long time. A Jag multicart is something I've always wanted as most games are either too expensive or hard to find. when you have any sort of list put me down. Whenever it becomes available I shall be there. Thanks you so much for taking the time to create this and the Lynx cart.

Edited by SlangeUG, Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:52 PM.

#9 SainT OFFLINE  

SainT

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 684 posts

Posted Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:54 PM

This is awesome. I noticed in another thread you were asking about save ram.  So is it safe to assume that the cart will support game saves?

Yep, I have that covered. At the moment I support upto the max EEPROM size used on the Jag which will be persisted to the SD card. I've actually designed / written and simulated the majority of the custom chip needed to handle things like this already.

The custom chip on the cart (a CPLD type device) will be programmable from the Jag, so updates to the hardware functionality can actaully be made after release as well.

#10 SainT OFFLINE  

SainT

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 684 posts

Posted Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:00 PM

Presumably saint's sd solution will quicken the pace of homebrew development as devs can instantly upload to a real jag rather than the time consuming skunk methods.

I will most likely have a 'dev' option with USB connector and full hardware debugging capabilities as you'd find on an Alpine. This may be a standard feature depending on cost. In theory it's just an FTDI chip, so it's not that much...

Many features like this I will plan from a hardware level, but may require sofware assistance depending on complexity and free time. GadgetUK's assistance with the menu system on the Lynx SD is a prime example of what can happen when you get some community help! :)

#11 atarian63 OFFLINE  

atarian63

River Patroller

• 4,199 posts

Posted Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:53 PM

very exciting, of course we all want this!!!  Please keep the updates coming as you have time! Thank you!

#12 TrekMD OFFLINE  

TrekMD

River Patroller

• 3,223 posts

Posted Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:51 PM

This is superb.  Something I will definitely want to get.  :)

#13 CyranoJ ONLINE  

CyranoJ

River Patroller

• 4,589 posts
  • RAPTOR in LOCAL

Posted Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:56 PM

I will most likely have a 'dev' option with USB connector and full hardware debugging capabilities as you'd find on an Alpine. This may be a standard feature depending on cost. In theory it's just an FTDI chip, so it's not that much...

Many features like this I will plan from a hardware level, but may require sofware assistance depending on complexity and free time. GadgetUK's assistance with the menu system on the Lynx SD is a prime example of what can happen when you get some community help! :)

More than happy to help. If you need anything, just ask.

#14 Austin OFFLINE  

Austin

Quadrunner

• 11,663 posts

Posted Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:04 PM

Fantastic news! The Skunkboard has had its use, but for those that just want to game (easily), a SD-based option will be soooo much more convenient.

#15 Sauron OFFLINE  

Sauron

Quadrunner

• 5,167 posts
  • In the land of Mordor.

Posted Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:06 PM

An SD card solution for the Jag has been long overdue. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed!

#16 CyranoJ ONLINE  

CyranoJ

River Patroller

• 4,589 posts
  • RAPTOR in LOCAL

Posted Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:22 PM

Fantastic news! The Skunkboard has had its use, but for those that just want to game (easily), a SD-based option will be soooo much more convenient.

Yeah and taking Reboot to a show or event means only having to secure one cart ;)

#17 Atariboy OFFLINE  

Atariboy

Quadrunner

• 6,754 posts
  • River Raider

Posted Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:33 PM

Any chance that it will play disc images as well, much like how the Cuttle Cart II supported Supercharger tape games? 

Or will it be cartridge titles only?

• slx likes this

#18 venom4728a OFFLINE  

venom4728a

Dragonstomper

• 591 posts

Posted Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:38 PM

Awesome News!   Will be following this thread closely.  Love to help in any way possible.

Robert

#19 mckafka99 OFFLINE  

mckafka99

Dragonstomper

• 984 posts

Posted Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:38 PM

Awesome! Can't wait for this!

#20 atariLBC OFFLINE  

atariLBC

Moonsweeper

• 454 posts

Posted Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:26 PM

YES! YES! YES!

Great news. As someone who has is happily enjoying the Lynx SD card, I am very much looking forward seeing this project come to fruition.

#21 travistouchdown OFFLINE  

travistouchdown

River Patroller

• 3,478 posts
  • Do the math!

Posted Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:37 PM

Oh yeah! If it's anything like your Lynx SD Cart I'm in!

#22 Greg2600 OFFLINE  

Greg2600

River Patroller

• 2,718 posts

Posted Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:55 PM

Good luck Saint!

#23 Krip316 OFFLINE  

Krip316

Chopper Commander

• 153 posts

Posted Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:47 PM

Looks like I'm not selling my jag now. This got me all excited! I'm like a kid in a candy store.

#24 MockyLock OFFLINE  

MockyLock

Space Invader

• 37 posts

Posted Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:15 PM

'llo here !

So it's finally the time when my Skunkboard will deserve its retirement.

And time for me to bookmark this thread. I'll be on the first line the release day !

Really good news indeed !

#25 owen2471 OFFLINE  

owen2471

Chopper Commander

• 106 posts

Posted Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:30 AM

Great news.

1 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users