IGNORED

Upcoming Jaguar Game Drive Cartridge

SainT

No, it's more complicated than that. The ADC chip is only present in NTSC Jags, and only on early K models (most K models don't have it, and none of the M models do).

That's what it was, I was remembering something about M models, but those are the ones without.

It's a shame since all the STe/Falcons have the hardware support for analog controllers, from what I understand. Kind of makes me wonder if it was one of the key things they removed when they lowered the price, since I think it originally sold for 250, then they lowered it to 150, then 100... then well you could find them for peanuts. Now they're 300+ ha

No, it's more complicated than that. The ADC chip is only present in NTSC Jags, and only on early K models (most K models don't have it, and none of the M models do).

All these years in, and still learning stuff :) My bad, I just have an overly optimistic view of the Jaguar still it seems :D never as simple as you'd hope :D

• Like 3

I doubt the ADC chip was worth $100 :)

Ha, not saying it was. Was more suggesting they'd found other cost cutting things they could do so they wouldn't sell the console at as big of a loss. Historically the consoles themselves are always sold at a loss, they make that back by selling games and licensing, etc. Not sure at what point in the game industry that started, but it's been the case for quite a while.

Ha, not saying it was. Was more suggesting they'd found other cost cutting things they could do so they wouldn't sell the console at as big of a loss. Historically the consoles themselves are always sold at a loss, they make that back by selling games and licensing, etc. Not sure at what point in the game industry that started, but it's been the case for quite a while.

They should have dropped the RF modulator too for cutting cost.

Edited by walter_J64bit

While we're on the subject this is what happens when you combine an Atari Jaguar, an Opal Rotary Controller, and an Atari 5200 controller together...

You get the Atari Jaguar Tempest 2000 Opal Rotary 5200 Controller...

Jag-Tempest-2000-Rotary-Controller.jpg

I thought I owned a bunch of Rotary controllers, but this one takes the cake!

I always liked the Genesis Rotary, seems like a natural fit with A, B, C buttons.

Edited by Machine
  • Like 2

I was one of the first group of people who bought the jag so my serial number starts with a "K". I guess that makes sense that it would ?

Me too. Mine contains the ADC. K13C006280, what ever the serial number means ;-)

Edit: Looked it up: Build by IBM in December, 1993

Edited by 42bs

I doubt it depends on the manufacturer (M = JVC, K = IBM) but rather on the production date.

Has it ever been established when they stopped putting the ADC in?

Pretty sure mine doesn't have it (based on getting it when it dropped to 150 and at the same time the JagCD launched). Mine certainly would be a JVC one then.

Has it ever been established when they stopped putting the ADC in?

Probably the same reason they didn't put a 5 cent diode in to prevent the console from frying due to the incorrect polarity. And no flaps over the cart connector. And bare PCB edge connectors hanging out the back.

• Like 2

While we're on the subject this is what happens when you combine an Atari Jaguar, an Opal Rotary Controller, and an Atari 5200 controller together...

You get the Atari Jaguar Tempest 2000 Opal Rotary 5200 Controller...

Jag-Tempest-2000-Rotary-Controller.jpg

Does that actually work???

Did you assign Jag Fire Buttons 1-3 on 3 of the 4 5200 fire buttons? What did you do with the Flex Circuit? Did you add the gold dots to it or did you replace it with a thin PCB? Inquiring minds wanna know!

Yes the two fire button on the left side is fire on the bottom and super zapper on the top with the jump button on the bottom right side to use Tempest 2000 controls, Also the start and pause buttons work as well.

What I did is buy an Opal Rotary Controller and disassembled it and removed the rotary part and the pcb part with the jag connector...

100-9783.jpg

jag-pcb.jpg

Then I disassembled the 5200 and found that the cable could unplug from the Flex Circuit...

100-9824.jpg

100-9829.jpg

Then to fig out what wire was what I went online a downloaded schematics of everything...

5200stik-1.jpg

post-8976-0-42172300-1351814739.jpg

Then with some trial and error and most of the jags controller PCB cut off I connected the cut off wires from the 5200 to the jags controller PCB and stuffed it all in the 5200 controller body.

For the rotary part, I just removed all the joystick parts from the 5200 controller and cut down the translucent part of the Opal Rotary to fit where the joystick once was and JB Welded it in place and that's about it.

It's basically an Opal Rotary Controller stuffed into an Atari 5200 controller shell, It's even still RGB lit !

BTW nice touch with the Opal Rotary Controllers and the RGB, I don't know what I like more, Playing a game with it or just staring at the RGB light ! lol

No matter what I did with that controller I was going to retain that RGB backlight and I did !

Edited by Tempest Nut
  • Like 6