IGNORED

Upcoming Jaguar Game Drive Cartridge

SainT

On 2/8/2019 at 4:02 PM, Greenious said:

Thanks for the update!

I'm more curious as to what isn't working as to what is, but it was informative nonetheless. Does 6mb roms work aswell? Next update you can run bad apple!

and if possible, maybe vlm with the tempest soundtrack?

Really looking forward to this, VLM with the possibility to run mp3's/ogg/flac would be a riot, if it is possible...

Yes, I need to do a full pass on the CD images and find out what isn't working... and fix it. ;)

It should work with 6mb ROMs, yep -- I've not tested it, but there's 16mb available as I say, and the 6mb memory area for the ROM is mapped to it. I've stolen about 64 bytes at the top of the ROM space (as the CD drive does) for fast streaming, but that can be switched off if needed. :)

CD support will likely be raw audio only... I don't believe the micro I'm using has the power to decode MP3's. But given the size of memory cards, that shouldn't be a big deal.

Edited by SainT
  • Like 5

I'm a little confused with the projected CD support. Someone mentioned that there would be a set of games that wouldn't load on this, but more would than wouldn't, based on whether the overwrite the BIOS. Are these officially released games or homebrew? And is it correct that such games won't be possible (no workaround or SainT magic to make it work)?

I don't know if any official releases overwrote the CD BIOS, I've yet to dig into it that far. Homebrew stuff is likely to cause more issues -- but that said, the ULS booter, which I think is the most common use case for CD based homebrew, is working fine.

It's possible to patch things as well, so plenty of scope to fix issues if there are any.

• Like 2

I don't know if any official releases overwrote the CD BIOS, I've yet to dig into it that far. Homebrew stuff is likely to cause more issues -- but that said, the ULS booter, which I think is the most common use case for CD based homebrew, is working fine.

It's possible to patch things as well, so plenty of scope to fix issues if there are any.

Nudge nude, check your PM ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Q1 halfway over... ready to accept preorders now? :grin:

Yep, getting close. I'm sorting out the website with a proper unified way of doing a shop and pre-ordering atm. So many things to do, it's very difficult to make headway at times!

Once I have the website / pre/ordering side of things sorted, I can better outsource production and posting of carts. At the moment it's a bit half baked...

• Like 17

I have a question. You had said, SainT, that the CDIs you use for the SD cartridge are modified for it. Could unmodified CDIs work as well? Or, is that something to work on in the future? Thanks.

No, they wont.

It just requires the CDI to be passed through a tool to create a JCD, it's a 30 second procedure you have to do once. It's really not a big deal. :)

• Like 6

No, they wont.

It just requires the CDI to be passed through a tool to create a JCD, it's a 30 second procedure you have to do once. It's really not a big deal. :)

Leave the util on the SD card in the folder with the CDI images, and have both versions? It's not like you'll fill the SD card :)

• Like 2

Not to open the door for the proverbial elephant, I'm looking into how I can get a hold of the 13 CD games that were released for the Jaguar to make ready for the SD Cart. At this point I'm thinking the best course is to buy the CD games and rip them myself. Information about how to do this seems to be scattered all over. I found a few sources of information that mention Discjuggler as being one of the best tools for ripping Jaguar CDs. And of course the cd images have to be converted to use on the SD cart, I am assuming that tool will be available later.

Here's just a couple of links I found. Maybe we can get a post going as a sort of guide?

http://freejag.atari.org/forum/index.php?topic=21.0

http://sizious.com/2018/07/01/installing-discjuggler-on-windows-10/

It'd be great if there isn't any Windows-specific stuff required to run, rip, or pre-process CD games. I have an old Windows Vista machine I suppose I could fire up, but otherwise I'm a Mac user and am likely to be dealing with BIN/CUE as my disc format, not DiscJuggler or any other Windows-exclusive program.

• Like 1

Something I half vaguely and half clearly remember about Battlemorph. It pulls the audio in real-time from the CD but the audio is somehow mixed or miltiplexed or whatever the terminology is...anyway, thats what helps with the seamless transitions from when the player is on land and then underwater and then in tunnels.

Hope that helps even if a tiny bit :)

Edited by skip

It'd be great if there isn't any Windows-specific stuff required to run, rip, or pre-process CD games. I have an old Windows Vista machine I suppose I could fire up, but otherwise I'm a Mac user and am likely to be dealing with BIN/CUE as my disc format, not DiscJuggler or any other Windows-exclusive program.

I'll most likely release the source for the CDI -> JCD tool. If people want a Mac version, I'm sure someone will provide it.

I may even do so... I have a Mac here I use for some App stuff. I hate the things, but it shouldn't be too painful to compile a command line tool for the Mac also. ;)

• Like 7

I'll most likely release the source for the CDI -> JCD tool. If people want a Mac version, I'm sure someone will provide it.

I may even do so... I have a Mac here I use for some App stuff. I hate the things, but it shouldn't be too painful to compile a command line tool for the Mac also. ;)

I can help out there if you like, have built Mac versions of JCP for Intel and PowerPC Mac's recently, happy to attack a makefile to get a native Mac build together. Give me an excuse beyond remote working to fire the thing up too :D

• Like 3

Yep, getting close. I'm sorting out the website with a proper unified way of doing a shop and pre-ordering atm. So many things to do, it's very difficult to make headway at times!

Once I have the website / pre/ordering side of things sorted, I can better outsource production and posting of carts. At the moment it's a bit half baked...

Ive been watching this thread for what seems like an eternity. Now my biggest fear is preorders will open and close before I get one in. How long do you think the window for that will be, when you are ready to go forward?

Ive been watching this thread for what seems like an eternity. Now my biggest fear is preorders will open and close before I get one in. How long do you think the window for that will be, when you are ready to go forward?

A real capitalist would keep at least 10 in stock and sell them on ebay. ;-) (No, please SainT, don't !)

It will never close. I started making the LynxSD about 3 years ago. I still make them.

I'm gearing things up to produce and ship carts more quickly currently (have been working on things behind the scenes for what feels like an age, but its getting there). I want to be in the position there are no pre-orders. Just orders.

I will get there. I've enlisted help to get things moving more quickly, and its gradually all slotting into place.

The joys of growing a business organically. ;)

• Like 17