1883 replies to this topic

#1876 Stephen ONLINE  

Stephen

Quadrunner

• 7,460 posts
  • A8 Gear Head

Posted Fri Feb 8, 2019 9:47 AM

Yes. ;)

I've not done as much the last 2-3 years, but I've done a lot of endurance riding / racing in the past. I've competed in at least 20 or more 24hr team endurance races and have done one solo 24hr among lots of other long distance stuff. Lots of "fun"... for the masochist. ;)

Good lord - no wonder you have the patience / stamina to handle a Jaguar hardware project :)

If it's not too much to ask, any chance of seeing the VLM stream some audio in an upcoming video?  I had so much fun editing the effects BITD.  I believe I still have a little over 2 hours recorded on VHS tape.  I'll have to get that on my PC soon.

#1877 Greenious OFFLINE  

Greenious

Chopper Commander

• 211 posts
  • -= Elite =-

Posted Fri Feb 8, 2019 10:02 AM

I've not had a chance to look into it yet, had some other things on this week. But I will sort it, I'm sure. I have data being transferred via the I2S bus for the initial boot-up sequence from the CDBIOS, which is how the audio is likely to be streamed, so I know the mechanism works.

Thanks for the update!

I'm more curious as to what isn't working as to what is, but it was informative nonetheless. Does 6mb roms work aswell? Next update you can run bad apple!

and if possible, maybe vlm with the tempest soundtrack?

Really looking forward to this, VLM with the possibility to run mp3's/ogg/flac would be a riot, if it is possible...

#1878 Hastor OFFLINE  

Hastor

Chopper Commander

• 108 posts

Posted Fri Feb 8, 2019 10:37 AM

I'm a little confused with the projected CD support. Someone mentioned that there would be a set of games that wouldn't load on this, but more would than wouldn't, based on whether the overwrite the BIOS. Are these officially released games or homebrew? And is it correct that such games won't be possible (no workaround or SainT magic to make it work)?

Edited by Hastor, Fri Feb 8, 2019 10:37 AM.

#1879 SainT OFFLINE  

SainT

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,043 posts

Posted Fri Feb 8, 2019 10:57 AM

Good lord - no wonder you have the patience / stamina to handle a Jaguar hardware project :)

If it's not too much to ask, any chance of seeing the VLM stream some audio in an upcoming video?  I had so much fun editing the effects BITD.  I believe I still have a little over 2 hours recorded on VHS tape.  I'll have to get that on my PC soon.

I've not had time to dig into the CD support further yet, but VLM should work, yes. I've certainly had the interface up and showing track selection, but I didn't have half of the functionality I have now working at the time.

It will work from either CUE / BIN or possibly just having a folder with a .CD extension or something containing a load of WAV files named 0-n for the tracks. That should work ok.

#1880 SainT OFFLINE  

SainT

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,043 posts

Posted Fri Feb 8, 2019 11:00 AM

Thanks for the update!

I'm more curious as to what isn't working as to what is, but it was informative nonetheless. Does 6mb roms work aswell? Next update you can run bad apple!

and if possible, maybe vlm with the tempest soundtrack?

Really looking forward to this, VLM with the possibility to run mp3's/ogg/flac would be a riot, if it is possible...

Yes, I need to do a full pass on the CD images and find out what isn't working... and fix it. ;)

It should work with 6mb ROMs, yep -- I've not tested it, but there's 16mb available as I say, and the 6mb memory area for the ROM is mapped to it. I've stolen about 64 bytes at the top of the ROM space (as the CD drive does) for fast streaming, but that can be switched off if needed. :)

CD support will likely be raw audio only... I don't believe the micro I'm using has the power to decode MP3's. But given the size of SD cards, that shouldn't be a big deal.

#1881 SainT OFFLINE  

SainT

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,043 posts

Posted Fri Feb 8, 2019 11:03 AM

I'm a little confused with the projected CD support. Someone mentioned that there would be a set of games that wouldn't load on this, but more would than wouldn't, based on whether the overwrite the BIOS. Are these officially released games or homebrew? And is it correct that such games won't be possible (no workaround or SainT magic to make it work)?

I don't know if any official releases overwrote the CD BIOS, I've yet to dig into it that far. Homebrew stuff is likely to cause more issues -- but that said, the ULS booter, which I think is the most common use case for CD based homebrew, is working fine.

It's possible to patch things as well, so plenty of scope to fix issues if there are any. 

#1882 LinkoVitch OFFLINE  

LinkoVitch

River Patroller

• 2,633 posts

Posted Fri Feb 8, 2019 11:09 AM

I don't know if any official releases overwrote the CD BIOS, I've yet to dig into it that far. Homebrew stuff is likely to cause more issues -- but that said, the ULS booter, which I think is the most common use case for CD based homebrew, is working fine.

It's possible to patch things as well, so plenty of scope to fix issues if there are any. 

Nudge nude, check your PM ;)

#1883 Gummy Bear OFFLINE  

Gummy Bear

Dragonstomper

• 771 posts

Posted Fri Feb 8, 2019 4:52 PM

@SainT
Have you finalised the case design yet?
Will it look Jaguaresque?

#1884 DoTheMath OFFLINE  

DoTheMath

Chopper Commander

• 103 posts

Posted Sat Feb 9, 2019 5:50 PM

Nice to see these games running! This version of Cannon Fodder is the nicest looking and sounding version of this game in my opinion. Good choice :thumbsup: I wonder if the Amige mouse would work on it?

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users