IGNORED

Any old school Sierra games fans out there?

Even though I'm a die hard console gamer, I had so many great experiences with Sierra games when I was young. On my Tandy 1000 here in the states :)

Before the Uncharted's etc these were the first games to really make me feel like I was somewhere else.

Kings Quest, Police Quest, Liesure Suit Larry lol etc.

Any others feel the same? Even though dated now, being able to type in commands was amazing at the time, made me feel connected to the game.

Lucas Arts when I was early teens (Full throttle, Grim Fandango etc)

But it all started with Sierra games for me ?

Edited by JaguarBrett

To me, Space Quest and Leisure Suite Larry make my childhood. I have their respective anthologies for PC, as published back sometime in the 90s, and once in a while I fire up DOSBox to play them. in fact, I set up my DOSBox environment specifically to play them, complete with menu and all. :)

I even installed Windows 3.1 to be able to play Space Quest IV and VI.

-dZ.

post-27318-0-41278100-1466506383_thumb.png

post-27318-0-24292700-1466506388_thumb.png

• Like 1

Sierra was a big part of my childhood, especially Kings Quest and Roger Wilco. Gabriel Knight was another really good one ("What can you tell me about voodoo?"), though I never finished it (I own it on GOG so it's on my list again). Of course they also had great non-adventure games as well like The Incredible Machine. I vaguely remember my dad playing Police Quest but I never tried it as a kid, I have it now and have started playing the first one. Those were the games that evolved into the excellent SWAT series. Sierra and Lucasarts (along with some Accolade titles) made up the bulk of my early PC gaming.

Edited by TPA5

To me, Space Quest and Leisure Suite Larry make my childhood. I have their respective anthologies for PC, as published back sometime in the 90s, and once in a while I fire up DOSBox to play them. in fact, I set up my DOSBox environment specifically to play them, complete with menu and all. :)

-dZ.

DOSBox menu.png

DOSBox Windows.png

That's awesome ?

Edited by JaguarBrett

Sierra was a big part of my childhood, especially Kings Quest and Roger Wilco. Gabriel Knight was another really good one ("What can you tell me about voodoo?"), though I never finished it (I own it on GOG so it's on my list again). Of course they also had great non-adventure games as well like The Incredible Machine. I vaguely remember my dad playing Police Quest but I never tried it as a kid, I have it now and have started playing the first one. Those were the games that evolved into the excellent SWAT series. Sierra and Lucasarts (along with some Accolade titles) made up the bulk of my early PC gaming.

Definitely some great games there. I do remember how awesome the Swat games were!

If it was from SIerra, I had it for my Commodore Amiga 500.

Never fun switching floppies all the time. I think my only regret was buying a new Sierra game & wondering how many floppies were going to be in the box.

Yes huge fan of the old Sierra Games. LSL, Police Quest, Space Quest, Alien Legacy etc. Had one on the PC Called Conquerer 1086 which I just loved even though no one else seemed to. When I was working at a 'competing software company' in the early 90s I was always trading games with the guys over at Sierra. Loved their games newsletter and approach to everything. Ken & Roberta Williams I salute you!

Edited by Arnuphis

I was always a fan of primarily text adventures. I say primarily because some of them had graphics as well, but the primary descriptive interface was text, and so were the commands. I've been meaning to play the more graphical versions, but ... time.

Besides the King's Quest series, I have always felt that Conquests of Camelot was a perfect game. Well, perfect except for that dreaded "out of heap space" fault in some Atari ST machines. I was right at the very end when it wouldn't let me go any further.

I discovered Sierra games via Kings Quest II on my friend's PC Jr. We had no idea that you could save your progress. Through much trial and error, and many falls down Dracula's stupid stairs, we finished the game over the course of one summer. Only later did we find the instructions and discover that the game could be saved. He then proceeded to be quite the Sierra aficionado. I remember sleepovers at his house playing Leisure Suit Larry. We called the hint line once and they refused to help two very non adult sounding boys. As an Atari 800xl owner at the time I was very jealous of the Sierra games. When we finally upgraded to an Amiga 500 my dreams were fulfilled and I bought my very own Sierra game--Space Quest III. Good times!

My first Sierra game was Kings Quest 3. My uncle bought it for me, which I played on my grandfather's "Northgate" 8088 computer that had an Amber monochrome monitor. I was hooked at that point. I hate to admit it, but all the Sierra games that I got after that point were pirated since I was into BBSes. Once I was 16/17, I was making money, and worked at CompUSA no less. It was already the mid 90s, and Sierra was starting to falter a little bit. I legally own all the Sierra games (bought the collectors CDs) now; however, I played those Sierra games at home on our own 8088 computer, and then later on my Leading Edge 386 SX-16 computer. I loved those games. They were a huge part of my childhood. Space Quest 3 is probably my favorite... but I spent a lot of time playing SQ4, and some of the Police Quest games.

Huge Sierra fan here -- one of my favourites that hasn't been mentioned is California Gold Rush! Not as popular as Oregon Trail it seems, but great game.

I played through all the AGI originals on my Apple IIe then the newer SCI games on my 486. There was a gap of about 5 years where they didn't make games for the Apple but I didn't have a PC yet that was brutal.

According to my research the Apple IIgs had vastly improved sound on the AGI originals over other versions. Been experimenting with some emulators and, to my ear, they definitely sound better. Don't know much about older Apple computers but if the IIe versions are the same as the IIgs you heard the best version of those PC speaker tunes!

-dZ.

attachicon.gifDOSBox menu.png

attachicon.gifDOSBox Windows.png

This is a fantastic setup -- nicely done. I've been playing my Sierra games through a softmodded Xbox with DosXbox and ScummVMX with USB to Xbox adapters and wireless keyboard and mice.

According to my research the Apple IIgs had vastly improved sound on the AGI originals over other versions. Been experimenting with some emulators and, to my ear, they definitely sound better. Don't know much about older Apple computers but if the IIe versions are the same as the IIgs you heard the best version of those PC speaker tunes!

The Apple IIe versions have almost no sound and very little music. The IIGS had an Ensoniq sound chip in it which gave it some of the best sound of the time (better than just about everything aside from an external MIDI setup). The IIe had no special sound circuitry other than a 1-bit speaker (the Sierra games did not support the Mockingboard add on card).

It's a miracle they even ported these to the IIe, they're almost too much for the system to handle. In fact, there's a part in Manhunter NY where you can skip a whole puzzle (the sewer maze) because the system couldn't let you save your game during it due to lack of memory. This never happened in any other port of the game.

The Apple IIe versions have almost no sound and very little music. The IIGS had an Ensoniq sound chip in it which gave it some of the best sound of the time (better than just about everything aside from an external MIDI setup). The IIe had no special sound circuitry other than a 1-bit speaker (the Sierra games did not support the Mockingboard add on card).

It's a miracle they even ported these to the IIe, they're almost too much for the system to handle. In fact, there's a part in Manhunter NY where you can skip a whole puzzle (the sewer maze) because the system couldn't let you save your game during it due to lack of memory. This never happened in any other port of the game.

Wow! Thanks for the info, I had no idea. I'll have to fire up an emulator and check out that MH-NY puzzle skip. Those MH games were hard enough without losing the option to save.

I'm currently trying to track down the Japanese version of Police Quest II for the PC-9801:

http://kotaku.com/5812431/japan-what-the-hell-did-you-do-to-this-classic-pc-adventure-game