IGNORED

Poll: FInger or Thumb?

mr_me

Finger or Thumb  

41 members have voted

1. 1. How do you operate the Intellivision top side button?

• Finger
    • Thumb
    • Mostly use alternative joystick or gamepad with the Intellivision
    • I have an Intellivision but never play it

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

This poll looks to see how people use the flexible Intellivision controller. The primary action button is usually the top side button and players can use their thumb or finger from either hand. Using a finger lets you operate the lower side button with a second finger rather than one thumb for both buttons. And yes there are a couple of games that force you to use both sides (finger and thumb).

And please check out the other Intellivision controller poll "Which hand do you use?" http://atariage.com/forums/topic/242062-which-hand-do-you-use/

Most action games have the side buttons left/right symmetrical for left and right handed players. I'm surprised some use both sides ("claw grip"). There is a couple of action games that force you to do this: Bomb Squad and Vectron. It always felt awkward to me. It seems like the programmers just wanted to make the games extra difficult. No reason for Bomb Squad to have separate "work tool" and "drop" functions. Nova Blast does it as well but I didn't have that game. Don't play Intellivision Pinball much but I tend to use two thumbs on the keypad for that one.

Here's a couple of videos showing two different controller grips.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I guess it depends on the game. There are 3 independent buttons.

Games that require all 3 I claw grip with my left hand thumb on the bottom left buton, middle finger on the bottom right, and index finger on top side. and use my right index finger for the disc and keypad presses.

If the game just uses a single top button, or all 4 buttons have the same function, since I'm used to thumbing it on the Colecovision, because on the standard controller, the thumb was the primary button, the thumb is the instant habit, but I can see advantages to an index finger.

If the game uses the top button and synched bottom buttons, I use my index and middle fingers, but can resort to a thumb when they get tired.

If it just uses asymmetrical bottom buttons, the thumb on left bottom, and index finger on right bottom.

I guess if a game requires rapid manual fire, and either the top and bottom or the botom left and bottom right are symmetric, I tend to use all 3, but in alternating shifts of 2 at a time.

On Mouse Trap, which requires quick key presses, I use my left thumb to activate the doors and dog, it's just in a slightly different position compared to the Colecovision.

And I'm disc right. I can't really answer the question because it depends on the game.