IGNORED

Activision/Steam are judges and jury (Not)

Just something random I saw today while googling Steam sales.

Crazy:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/104900/announcements/detail/834671877728578774

Not sure. The bottom gun kind of looks the same but not nearly enough to warrant what's going on. Not sure how legal this is....forcing someones product off a store shelf without even a warning or anything. I dont know, the game might be crappy and they think nobody will care? :? :ponder:

I've got Orion and I just tried it then and the server is still working and had over 20 players in the lobby. So although they aren't selling it they haven't shut them down. The game is like Halo meets Jurassic park. It's fun and I think I only paid a few dollars for it. It is quite polished for such a cheap game, and they are going to be adding a lot more to it.

Their other game Orion: Prelude is still there and it is 49 cents. I've bought this game as a gift for several people and they have all enjoyed it. It started off a really bad game (Dino Horde, I think it was called) but they listened to the feed back and now it is great.

Well, the problem is, from the pictures I'm seeing online they did steal the assets. They modded the gun, but the base model is actually stolen... I hate the fact Steam has so much power. I am against this whole trend that people just want steam, but in this case I guess it's fair. Next time if they don't want to get their game pulled they shouldn't steal assets from other games.

I guess the only concern I'd have is if they're telling the truth that Steam (or Activision) even bothered to talk to them. According to them they didn't. Given Steam being Steam I can at least see it as plausible that they just woke up one day and found their game offline.

Well, the problem is with the modded gun designs? In that case go redesign them and swap out the guns causing the trouble and they should be good to go. (It's not like they have to actually alter the way the guns work.) And if they think they've done the same with any other part of the game that just hasn't been noticed yet, then they should take this time to quietly update those as well. Once the infringement is gone there shouldn't be any problem with Valve letting the game back on Steam.

How long has Orion been on Steam anyway? (Not my type of game honestly.) If it's been there for many months or longer, then even if Activision is in the right here, I'd highly question the timing of their complaint.

How long has Orion been on Steam anyway? (Not my type of game honestly.) If it's been there for many months or longer, then even if Activision is in the right here, I'd highly question the timing of their complaint.

I only got it myself in April but had it on my wishlist since December 2015. It was called Guardians of Orion, then the Orion Project, now it is just Orion.

I can't see how they can say they didn't copy the guns when you look at this. If it was just one gun maybe, but not two guns.

post-27767-0-49674300-1467102387_thumb.png

It's not a game I play often but I do hope they can sort this out and move on.

Looks like everything has been sorted out, after the devs of Orion showed Activision pictures and clips from movies that also showed similar weapons Activision backed down. I swear, the greatest enemy to gaming are the gaming conglomerates like Activision and EA themselves. Or Activision just needs to justify the hordes of lawyers they keep on retainer. Shame on Steam for simply complying with the takedown without doing any kind of due diligence. Everyone's so goddamn afraid of being sued they'll do anything to cover their own stupid ass.

• Like 1

According to their Steam page, it's been out since May of 2012.

and it's 49 cents :D

According to their Steam page, it's been out since May of 2012.

and it's 49 cents :D

To be honest I'd say it's worth it to buy a few copies at .49c and give them to friends. A while back I bought a 4-pack and it was fun enough that we definitely got our money's worth out of it.

Looks like everything has been sorted out, after the devs of Orion showed Activision pictures and clips from movies that also showed similar weapons Activision backed down.

It may be sorted out, but looks like the game still isn't put back on Steam. (Only Orion: Preclude is showing up) And COD fanboys are still bitching about the devs 'stealing' from Activision well after it being shown Activision is backing down.

It may be sorted out, but looks like the game still isn't put back on Steam. (Only Orion: Preclude is showing up) And COD fanboys are still bitching about the devs 'stealing' from Activision well after it being shown Activision is backing down.

Yeah, people are cancerous that way.

Edited by TPA5

Apparently, these are some of the helmets you can get in the game:

vwnd7tzatjqup2mxcx5h.png

xqgpfanc3o9ohfxaxjw3.png

yeeeaaaahhh, I'm sure this guy has an air-tight case....

Also, Kotaku is reporting that the developer launched an Indiegogo project yesterday with a goal of $500. They also report that:

The first donation came from—wait for it—Orion developer Trek Industries. It was for $500

Yep. Nothing fishy going on here at all. However, I don't think he knows how IGG works because he selected flexible funding, so he never had to even reach the goal to get the money. But maybe that's a take on what we call "priming the tip jar."

I only got it myself in April but had it on my wishlist since December 2015. It was called Guardians of Orion, then the Orion Project, now it is just Orion.

I can't see how they can say they didn't copy the guns when you look at this. If it was just one gun maybe, but not two guns.

attachicon.giforion.png

It's not a game I play often but I do hope they can sort this out and move on.

They both look like they came from H&K, which is probably the original source of the model

As they probably mix and match parts of a H&K tactical line including the M416 and XM8 Carbine.

Most of the similarities look like attachment points for NATO including grade launcher and scopes

Since derivative work aren't Copyright-able in the US, it is probably the reason Activision is backing down since H&K would be the legal Copyright owner

Edited by enoofu

I fixed the title :P

Wow:

Trek Versus Activision: How Orion Went From Victim To Villain In One Night

http://www.thejimquisition.com/trek-versus-activision-how-orion-went-from-victim-to-villain-in-one-night/

Everyone wants to be a Mike Kennedy it seems.....

Holy shit. And now a montage of all my WTF moments while reading that article:

That history includes allegations of Kickstarter scamming, with David Prassel receiving $20,000 for a project before firing his entire team without compensation.

He would do this, he claimed, by crowdfunding the damage costs directly from the community, asking Orion‘s fans to cover the losses incurred from being unable to partake in Steam’s summer sale – losses that amounted to 90% profit, he estimated.

Amid accusations of Trek deleting Facebook comments pointing out the company’s shady reputation, David himself is said to have issued threats on Reddit. Legal action was promised to anybody who continued to spread “malicious falsehoods” about David Prassel. In his defense, Prassel claims his Reddit account was hacked and that he was not responsible for legal threats.

koSevCE.png

cleardot.gifHe then banned himself from his own game’s Steam forums, saying it was to protect himself from himself.

9tgsmL3.png

200.gif

The surprising part is that both companies sound like they ran by the same person, both didn't pay employees 4 years (Infinity Ward) and then automatically re-titled their laughable sequel(s) which are basically the same game

Then both companies probably either used default game asset models of current guns that typically open source and free and did very minor changes or used Maya with real reference images and just traced the guns and altered their looks later

The surprising part is that both companies sound like they ran by the same person, both didn't pay employees 4 years (Infinity Ward) and then automatically re-titled their laughable sequel(s) which are basically the same game

Then both companies probably either used default game asset models of current guns that typically open source and free and did very minor changes or used Maya with real reference images and just traced the guns and altered their looks later

The truth is out there...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbBX6aEzEz8

Edited by TPA5

Weirdly, I just accidentally purchased one of these damn games that looked a bit space-themed in the trailer.

My impression of it isn't great.

• install/launch issues
  • space theme seems to just extend to a lobby
  • I wouldn't know because I can't get into an actual game to see it.
  • however the lobby is easily large and samey enough to get lost in

that's where I am now. lost.

edit: space-themed lobby or no, the game is nothing but planetary dinosaur BS. "ultimate space adventure"

Edited by Reaperman