IGNORED

Kickstarter -- New System Shock game

Oh wow... usually one needs to be careful into kickstasters as of late, but this, with Avellon involvment AND a demo already out? Well eff me silly, I think this one is one of them special kickstarters you just have to back because who wouldn't want more System Shock?

Although DANG is their page gif intensive.

I figured given your history with the series you'd be all over this, Al. :-D

I'm not sure when this launched, but it's growing at a HUGE rate today alone, and I think for sure they can meet their goal. 900k these days is not THAT much to ask for.

I'm not sure if this is the 'System Shock 3' that was announced earlier this year, though.

I figured given your history with the series you'd be all over this, Al. :-D

I'm not sure when this launched, but it's growing at a HUGE rate today alone, and I think for sure they can meet their goal. 900k these days is not THAT much to ask for.

I'm not sure if this is the 'System Shock 3' that was announced earlier this year, though.

Nope, System Shock 3 is a new game, in development by Otherside Entertainment, which is Paul Neurath's company. He founded Blue Sky Entertainment, which was later renamed to Looking Glass Technologies. Looking Glass created the first System Shock game, and System Shock 2 was developed by Looking Glass and Irrational Games. Warren Spector has come on board to work on this as well, which is fantastic. And they are also doing a sequel to Ultima Underworld. I cannot tell you how excited I am about all of this. :D

• Like 1

Nope, System Shock 3 is a new game, in development by Otherside Entertainment, which is Paul Neurath's company. He founded Blue Sky Entertainment, which was later renamed to Looking Glass Technologies. Looking Glass created the first System Shock game, and System Shock 2 was developed by Looking Glass and Irrational Games. Warren Spector has come on board to work on this as well, which is fantastic. And they are also doing a sequel to Ultima Underworld. I cannot tell you how excited I am about all of this. :D

Ah, I wasn't sure about the connections. I wonder how they got the rights away from EA?

Regardless, having two new System Shock games in the work is amazing! :)

Although this one sounds more like a 're-make' of the original game.

Ah, I wasn't sure about the connections. I wonder how they got the rights away from EA?

Regardless, having two new System Shock games in the work is amazing! :)

Although this one sounds more like a 're-make' of the original game.

Oh yes, there was a long battle over the rights for System Shock.. That's why we are only now seeing renewed System Shock development.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/02/after-protracted-legal-battle-system-shock-2-comes-to-gog-com/

And, yes, the Kickstarter System Shock is a remake of the original game. Looks like they are staying very true to the original. The original System Shock engine hasn't aged very well, so this is a very welcome remake.

Oh yes, there was a long battle over the rights for System Shock.. That's why we are only now seeing renewed System Shock development.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/02/after-protracted-legal-battle-system-shock-2-comes-to-gog-com/

And, yes, the Kickstarter System Shock is a remake of the original game. Looks like they are staying very true to the original. The original System Shock engine hasn't aged very well, so this is a very welcome remake.

I knew about that, but I didn't know that also gave the greenlight to do more work on new System Shock games. I bought both SS 1 Enhanced and SS 2 when they came out on GOG and the Enhanced version is very good. To be fair, I don't think SS 2 has aged that well either. :)

Funded at the big box level. Truthfully I've never played any of the other games in the series, but if Albert recommends it this highly, I'm there!!

The Human Corpse level of support was temping.

How cool would it be to wander around a space station and find a corpse tagged "moycon" !?

• Like 1

moycon, on 29 Jun 2016 - 2:25 PM, said:moycon, on 29 Jun 2016 - 2:25 PM, said:

Funded at the big box level. Truthfully I've never played any of the other games in the series, but if Albert recommends it this highly, I'm there!!

How cool would it be to wander around a space station and find a corpse tagged "moycon" !?

There are some great pledge levels for this, but they are REALLY expensive. I expect only die hard fans (cough, Al, cough) are going to be there. :grin:

Edited by SoulBlazer

The original game was really ahead of its time (same with Ultima Underworld). Playing a version that stays true to the original, but updates the graphics, game engine, and audio, will hopefully be fantastic. Playing the game at night in a dark room (or perhaps better, using a VR headset), should be a great way to traumatize yourself when you go around a corner and there's a Cortex Reaver waiting for you!

..Al

Albert, on 29 Jun 2016 - 5:56 PM, said:

The original game was really ahead of its time (same with Ultima Underworld). Playing a version that stays true to the original, but updates the graphics, game engine, and audio, will hopefully be fantastic. Playing the game at night in a dark room (or perhaps better, using a VR headset), should be a great way to traumatize yourself when you go around a corner and there's a Cortex Reaver waiting for you!

..Al

That's why I never played the System Shock games at night. :-D

Guest LiqMat

Upgrade hardware time for me. Demo runs and big box pledged, but I have to lower res for a smooth framerate. At least I have over a year to save for some new hardware before its release.

Anyone know why there is no PS4 release? :-(

They did mention the PS4 in their first update:

Platforms: We've been listening to your requests and have started discussions with Sony regarding a PS4 release - at this stage we can't confirm System Shock on PS4, but we will follow up with an announcement in the near future with more details.

Hopefully since they are over 50% funded in the first 24 hours Sony jumps on board. I'd keep an eye on the updates.

Looks like they are staying very true to the original.

Except for the part where one of the stretch goals is turning it into an RPG.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-07-01-how-will-system-shocks-reboot-differ-from-the-original

This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Except for the part where one of the stretch goals is turning it into an RPG.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-07-01-how-will-system-shocks-reboot-differ-from-the-original

This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Meh, it's hard for me to get excited about that. I watched the demo video and what they've done so far is pretty close to the original. Being able to play this game with a full screen view of the world versus the small window from the original will be nice. And with considerably nicer graphics, of course. The audio was already great in the original game, the music should sound better, though. Improvements in the UI are welcome. If they add some RPG elements to the game, hopefully they work well. If they screw it up, I'll probably still play it, even though I might be less enthusiastic about doing so.

..Al