IGNORED

Supra 20mb External Hard Disk

Sky7

I just acquired a Supra 20mb external hard disk. So far I have tested to see if when powered on if the the hard disk spins and it does. Later this week, I plan on hooking it up to my Mega ST2. I'm hopeful that it will boot and it will be interesting to see what might still be on it. On the other hand, there may be issues with the disk and I may not get any read/write from it.

In the event that the hard disk is not functional, would it be possible to fit a SCSI2IDE or SCSI2SD devices? This would give me an option to use the Supra external drive interface but fit either a SD card or a IDE drive to use with the Mega ST2.

• 2 weeks later...

My thought is, if you removed the old, non-functional drive from the case, a SCSI -> CF or SD adapter card should fit just fine. The IDE one I would avoid, personally. IDE drives are more rare now, and overkill for the size you'd need. They're prone to failure again in the not so distant future, even freezing up from sitting. Since you'd be changing the internals anyway, authenticity of what's inside won't be too concerning, so between IDE and CF/SD, the flash cards make the most sense. They are more current and less prone to mechanical wear. They do wear out with many writes, however TOS should not be able to wear out a CF or SD card very quickly at all. For my Apple IIgs, I use a SCSI -> CF adapter (The Aztec Monster) inside the original hard drive case with power supply. You could go with SCSI -> IDE -> SATA by chaining together adapter cards, but that seems messy and I haven't seen it done yet so I can't say for reliability.

There is plenty of information available for running TOS from a CF card if you need to. Does any of what I said make sense? To me, this is the best way to keep the old drive looking the same and function the same, but with a little modern update.

Of course, others may have better suggestions or different experiences with this.

When evaluating options to replace the HDD in my STacy, I chose the SCSI2SD. I looked at the Aztec Monster CF SCSI adapter but it requires Parity. The STacy's host adapter does NOT provide parity. So, I chose the SCSI2SD. Working great for over a year now.

Smiles!

BAMA

• 2 weeks later...

I just acquired a Supra 20mb external hard disk. So far I have tested to see if when powered on if the the hard disk spins and it does. Later this week, I plan on hooking it up to my Mega ST2. I'm hopeful that it will boot and it will be interesting to see what might still be on it. On the other hand, there may be issues with the disk and I may not get any read/write from it.

In the event that the hard disk is not functional, would it be possible to fit a SCSI2IDE or SCSI2SD devices? This would give me an option to use the Supra external drive interface but fit either a SD card or a IDE drive to use with the Mega ST2.

Dumb request - any chance you could take a couple of pics of the drive and post it?

I had a Supra 65MB (and perhaps a Supra 20MB before, but I'm forgetting) for my ST. I threw out the case many years ago (stupidly) and just wanted to see it again :).