IGNORED

Lotharek .hfe disk image links?

Airshack

Anyone using HxC firmware on a floppy emulator for the TI can only use hfe with that device.

Sure, but it is just another format for the same contents.

ralphb has just written an HFE converter for his xdt99 (http://atariage.com/forums/topic/233677-xdt99-new-ti-99-cross-development-tools-available/page-7?do=findComment&comment=3598825 ), and my TIImageTool can now also convert from/to HFE.

IMHO it would be better to convert images instead of storing them once for each format.

[Edit: I just noticed that the proposal was to keep those images on AtariAge; I first thought they should be stored on our main repository WHTech. There is nothing to say against other repositories, but we should take care that we don't multiply our resources on WHTech by all kinds of formats.]

Edited by mizapf
  • Like 2

There is absolutely no problem if you use HFE files in your everyday operations, also if you exchange images with other people using the HxC. If you mainly work with your HxC, you need not and should not do conversions unless you need to. This happens every time that someone else shall use your disk images who does not have a HxC.

We basically have two ways of storing TI data: as separate files with TIFILES header, or as disk images. For the disk images there are the classic formats sector dump ("dsk" or also known as "v9t9"), and track dump ("pc99"). The track dumps carry more information than the sector dumps, as they preserve sector arrangements, or other non-standard track layouts. However, I don't know of any cases where a sector dump was inferior to a track dump, i.e. where a sector dump lacks important information.

The HFE format is even more low-level than the track dumps, since it preserves the FM/MFM cell levels. But again, if we think about archiving, and if we consider that we don't have such elaborate copy protections that require all information, saving pure sector contents is just sufficient. The only protections that I know of make use of direct sector access, and this is caught by the sector dump.

• Like 2

Yes of course when talking about archival. I don't personally think of my GoTek as being used for archive purposes. For me, it's a production tool for storage. I plan to load up my Drive with blank floppy images and save all my programs to these. Any HFE files on my usb drive would then be converted the other way, to v9t9 for use in emulation and or preservation. No need to buy floppies ever again.

I guess in short, I'm going to be producing HFE files as the source storage media. If HxC could do dsk, whoa, that's a development task for writing a new firmware on the Lotharek or the gotek (running HxC) that is far beyond my comprehension at the moment.

Before I digress any further...
I think the need to convert from dsk or bin to hfe would be for items that do not convert well for the flashrom99. Perhaps complementary to it.

For efficient archival purposes, yeah, if non essential data is lost in the downsizing to dsk then it sure makes sense to not archive hfe. Unless;as you stated, there was a special need to do so like preserving disk copy protection schemes or something along those lines.

Edited by Sinphaltimus

At first I wished I had sent Omega a private message on .hfe, archive as was originally intended.

Reason being, I didn't know how to convert between disk and hfe.

You guys never seem to disappoint. There's apparently multiple ways to do so? That's great!

Thanks for the links which I'll enjoy exploring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can only talk about my tool, so in this case I would proceed as follows:

Assuming that you have single TIFILES-headered files from working with Classic99,

short text: Create a HFE floppy image in TIImageTool and pull your files into that image.

long text:

a) Start TIImageTool

b) File->New - Floppy image

c) Select HFE format as image type, choose some reasonable parameters (like DSDD 40, formatted).

d) Save it (maybe create some copies to avoid steps a-d next time)

e) Use Explorer or some similar tool to open the folder where your files are located.

f) Mark those files by mouse, drag and drop them over the HFE image that is open in TIImageTool

g) Close the HFE image or TIImageTool

• Like 3

Here's a fun blast from the past: TIPS FROM THE TIGERCUB Volume. 3

61 programs and files from Tigercub Software in Columbus, Ohio.

Does anyone have any information about this user's group and the newsletters/disks they produced?

Well, I finally had time to check out your .HFE in << MESSAGE # 46 >> DAMN! That thing is gallery_35324_1027_1165.png with stuff.

After work tonight I hope to spend more time with it, You know, one of those every month would be awesome! Like the newsletters, cool stuff metered out in manageable doses give us a greater chance discover and enjoy it.

THANKS AGAIN!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I can only talk about my tool, so in this case I would proceed as follows:

Assuming that you have single TIFILES-headered files from working with Classic99,

short text: Create a HFE floppy image in TIImageTool and pull your files into that image.

long text:

a) Start TIImageTool

b) File->New - Floppy image

c) Select HFE format as image type, choose some reasonable parameters (like DSDD 40, formatted).

d) Save it (maybe create some copies to avoid steps a-d next time)

e) Use Explorer or some similar tool to open the folder where your files are located.

f) Mark those files by mouse, drag and drop them over the HFE image that is open in TIImageTool

g) Close the HFE image or TIImageTool

Thanks! The latest version of TI Image Tool makes this really easy.

Well, I finally had time to check out your .HFE in << MESSAGE # 46 >> DAMN! That thing is gallery_35324_1027_1165.png with stuff.

After work tonight I hope to spend more time with it, You know, one of those every month would be awesome! Like the newsletters, cool stuff metered out in manageable doses give us a greater chance discover and enjoy it.

THANKS AGAIN!

I have five more disks! Each came with a manual outlining the contents:)

I finally broke down and ordered a pair of Lotharek Drives. They are almost a necessity. . .especially since I don't want to put a floppy drive into my current PC for file transfers anymore.

You're gonna love em! Are both these going into the same machine or different units? The reason I ask is because one of the coolest features of these things is being able to emulate two drives at the same time.

Here's a fun blast from the past: TIPS FROM THE TIGERCUB Volume. 3

61 programs and files from Tigercub Software in Columbus, Ohio.

Does anyone have any information about this user's group and the newsletters/disks they produced?

How the heck do they change the console cursor and leave it that way when you quit? I want a custom cursor.

How the heck do they change the console cursor and leave it that way when you quit? I want a custom cursor.

VPOKE or assembly language. If you're in XB (no VPOKE), you can try this:

1000 CALL INIT
1010 REM THIS LINE HAS THE CHARACTER PATTERN - 8 BYTES, 1 PER ROW
1020 CALL LOAD(8448,24,36,255,126,66,165,129,126)
1030 REM THESE LINES LOAD THE ASSEMBLY CODE, DON'T MODIFY
1040 CALL LOAD(8456,2,0,240,67,216,0,140,2,6,192,216,0,140,2,2,0,33,0,2,2,0,
1050 CALL LOAD(8478,216,48,140,0,6,2,22,252,4,91)
1060 REM THIS LINE SETS UP THE CALL LINK POINTER
1070 CALL LOAD(16376,65,32,32,32,32,32,33,
1080 REM THIS LINE SETS UP THE ENTRY TABLE FOR ONE ENTRY
1090 CALL LOAD(8196,63,248)
1100 REM AND THIS FINALLY DOES IT
1110 CALL LINK("A")

The cursor is not automatically reset like the other characters, so the pattern persists. ;) You can change the pattern in line 1020 -- the 8448 is the address, so don't change that, but the other 8 bytes are the character pattern (each row converted to decimal). Changing that will let you have any cursor you want.

• Like 2

VPOKE or assembly language. If you're in XB (no VPOKE), you can try this:

1000 CALL INIT
1010 REM THIS LINE HAS THE CHARACTER PATTERN - 8 BYTES, 1 PER ROW
1020 CALL LOAD(8448,24,36,255,126,66,165,129,126)
1030 REM THESE LINES LOAD THE ASSEMBLY CODE, DON'T MODIFY
1040 CALL LOAD(8456,2,0,240,67,216,0,140,2,6,192,216,0,140,2,2,0,33,0,2,2,0,
1050 CALL LOAD(8478,216,48,140,0,6,2,22,252,4,91)
1060 REM THIS LINE SETS UP THE CALL LINK POINTER
1070 CALL LOAD(16376,65,32,32,32,32,32,33,
1080 REM THIS LINE SETS UP THE ENTRY TABLE FOR ONE ENTRY
1090 CALL LOAD(8196,63,248)
1100 REM AND THIS FINALLY DOES IT
1110 CALL LINK("A")

The cursor is not automatically reset like the other characters, so the pattern persists. ;) You can change the pattern in line 1020 -- the 8448 is the address, so don't change that, but the other 8 bytes are the character pattern (each row converted to decimal). Changing that will let you have any cursor you want.

RXB has a VPOKE, VPEEK and GPOKE and GPEEK not to mention you can do a:

CALL CHAR(30,"FFFFFFFFFFFF") ! Try that in any other XB made.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

One thing I discovered in my installation of a Lotharek drive today: the drive REALLY doesn't like bulk 512K SD cards from UpgradeNation. I went through three of them with the same crazy symptom (no SD card in drive) before I switched to a 2GB card from DaneElec. That one worked perfectly. . .so one of my Lothareks is now fully functional as drive 1 in my test system.

• Like 6

• 2 months later...