IGNORED

Is stacy 4 worth buying?

Hey there I wanted to get an ST computer for my collection that I can use. I have an.option to buy a stacy 4 for possibly a good price but I'm not sure the blue screen will not drive me crazy. Is it very compatible with most software? Can it hook up to component or composite monitors? I have a feeling I'll want to replace the lcd with a spliced in color screen....what are they worth? Thank you!

I love my STacy. I've done quite a bit to it though, over time. You can hook up

an external color monitor to it, such as the Atari SC1224 series. It has a connection

just like any other ST.

It comes with TOS v1.04 and thus will run just about anything you throw at it, with

the understanding it has to be hi-res.

The blue screen does take a little bit of getting used to. Good luck with replacing

the existing LCD for a color one. Not an easy task at all.

I paid $400.00 for my STacy. Most STacy's, in really good shape, will go for around

$300-500.00 at a guess.

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased my STacy in 1992 and my STacy is still my favorite Atari! I still get a kick out of using my portable ST!

I don't think the "blue" screen will be an issue for you. My brain, just sees it as monochrome.

Smiles,

Sam

• 2 weeks later...

I suspect the STacy will have a bespoke video controller for the LCD so swapping it for a colour one would probably require soldering wires internally to the motherboard to obtain the RGB analogue signals to wire up to the SCART input of a consumer LCD panel to fit internally. If it has a monitor out port on the STacy it is quite doable though.

I wish I had bought an STbook back in the early 00s before they fell off the earth, nice to have a portable machine.

The STacy does have an external color monitor port and it works very well. I've

used it quite a bit like that.

A portable ST (well, "luggable" is probably more accurate if you're talking about the

STacy, but the ST book was considerably lighter), is very nice indeed.

• 2 months later...