76 replies to this topic

#76 Pac-Guy 26 OFFLINE  

Pac-Guy 26

Space Invader

• 46 posts
  • doo-DA-doo-GAH

Posted Fri Jan 5, 2018 2:35 PM

Hey guys,

In my ongoing effort to play my favorite old video games with original controllers on my modern living room TV, instead of being banished to the CRT in my cold, dark basement, I've come up with the Ultimate Atari FB!  Here's the software in action:
Why trash a perfectly good Flashback?
• Crisp full-screen HDMI output.
• The ability to add any 2600 game.
• Upgraded menu selection screen with woodgrain goodness!
• The FB's make great Raspberry Pi cases!
What you'll need:
• Any Atari FB with front facing ports (FB's 3-7)
• Raspberry Pi 3
• Two 2600-daptor II's sans cases
• Two USB A-B cables, on 6" and the other 12"
• Four 4-40 by 3/4" machine screws
• Wires and soldering skills
• Custom RetroPie software (see link below)
With the custom software, the console buttons all work, and holding down Select and Start (Reset) will get you back to the game menu.  See the attached manual below.
Console Button Wiring (Starting closest to power button):
1.  5V Power at GPIO 2
2.  Ground at GPIO 6 (or any other GPIO ground)
3.  GPIO 20
4.  GPIO 16
5.  GPIO 26
6.  GPIO 21
• Remove the capacitor on the console PCB and solder in a jumper wire or you won't have enough power to the Pi.
• I suggest pairing a Bluetooth keyboard with the Pi or running a USB extension cable out the back.  You'll need this for adding box art, editing file names, transferring roms via USB, etc.
Software Manual (thanks to timdu!):
Micro-SD Card Image:  
• Contains several great homebrews that have been publicly released in rom form!
Thanks to fdr4pres, Tom Hafner, pimpmaul69, timdu, and intvdave for all the help!

Wow...an awesome idea that could be nonexistent if you'd found your RF cables! Never before has humanity's endless ignorance led to something amazing!

#77 fdr4prez OFFLINE  

• 1,568 posts

Posted Sat Jan 6, 2018 2:42 PM

Hi Byte Knight & fdr4prez,

Could you advise where I can find the scripts/code for getting the console buttons to work please?

I'm currently struggling with my own RetroPie setup and would like to incorporate this as I'm in the process of butchering a FB4 with a Pi!

Many thanks :)

Please send me a PM and I'll help you out.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Atari 2600, RetroPie, Raspberry Pi

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users