Photo

Nuon Game System Talk & Discussion

Nuon VLM Atari Jaguar Jeff Minter N501 N2000 Project X Tempest 3000 Merlin Racing

162 replies to this topic

#151 Austin OFFLINE  

Austin

Quadrunner

• 12,828 posts

Posted Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:29 PM

Is there much of a market for Nuon games?  I came across a copy of Ballistic the other day and grabbed it as I never seen something like that before at retail.  I was more curious just to see what it would look like than anything and of course no player for it.

Yes and no. No in that not many people are interested, but yes in that the thing sold so poorly, interest is just high enough and quantity is limited enough to where the games are getting stupid expensive. Either that or some of the Nuon collectards are hoarding a lot of it, which is something I also wouldn't doubt.

Edited by Austin, Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:30 PM.

#152 PurifiedFire OFFLINE  

PurifiedFire

Combat Commando

• 2 posts

Posted Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:24 PM

Member since Jan 2006, first post.

Brand new to the Nuon. I had never heard of it until I posted a pic of a free HD CRT TV on a CRT collector's facebook group last week (to which I'm also fairly new). In that picture, on top of the TV the guy had a Toshiba Nuon SD-2300, and someone responded back saying they had the same TV and the same Nuon. I was thinking, "What's a Nuon? Looks like a DVD player to me." I looked it up and learned a little about its history, and on a whim I messaged the guy back asking if he was selling. He said, "No, but you can have it for free." He ended up giving me the TV and the Nuon along with a bunch of DVDs (season 1 Flintstones, Brady Bunch, Scooby Doo, etc).

TL;DR...

I have a working system but no remote, controller, or games. Is there anything I can do to experience a little of what this thing has to offer on the cheap? Please reply back or PM me with suggestions?

Edited by PurifiedFire, Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:28 PM.

#153 amiman99 ONLINE  

amiman99

Stargunner

• 1,201 posts

Posted Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:09 PM

Member since Jan 2006, first post.

Brand new to the Nuon. I had never heard of it until I posted a pic of a free HD CRT TV on a CRT collector's facebook group last week (to which I'm also fairly new). In that picture, on top of the TV the guy had a Toshiba Nuon SD-2300, and someone responded back saying they had the same TV and the same Nuon. I was thinking, "What's a Nuon? Looks like a DVD player to me." I looked it up and learned a little about its history, and on a whim I messaged the guy back asking if he was selling. He said, "No, but you can have it for free." He ended up giving me the TV and the Nuon along with a bunch of DVDs (season 1 Flintstones, Brady Bunch, Scooby Doo, etc).

TL;DR...

I have a working system but no remote, controller, or games. Is there anything I can do to experience a little of what this thing has to offer on the cheap? Please reply back or PM me with suggestions?

Here is the remote for it: https://www.ebay.com...10/163100171718

Model SE-R0029

#154 Tanooki ONLINE  

Tanooki

Quadrunner

• 5,449 posts

Posted Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:38 PM

I've got Ballistic, pretty sure it's the cheapest of those Nuon games if you check ebay you'll see what I mean.

#155 PurifiedFire OFFLINE  

PurifiedFire

Combat Commando

• 2 posts

Posted Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:13 PM

Got it, thanks!

Here is the remote for it: https://www.ebay.com...10/163100171718

Model SE-R0029

#156 Austin OFFLINE  

Austin

Quadrunner

• 12,828 posts

Posted Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:32 PM

I've got Ballistic, pretty sure it's the cheapest of those Nuon games if you check ebay you'll see what I mean.

Yep, this is the best way to go for a cheap, real release. It was a pack-in with the Samsung units which is why it's so common compared to other games.

#157 amiman99 ONLINE  

amiman99

Stargunner

• 1,201 posts

Posted Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:42 PM

The cheapest way to get the controller is to build it yourself. You can get the PCB here: http://atariage.com/...lers-are-ready/for $50 plus the cost of other parts.

#158 doctorclu OFFLINE  

doctorclu

***Moon Patrol 5200*** *Moon Master2015* *Blue Max:Class 4*

• Topic Starter
  • 7,656 posts
  • *Star Raiders 2* **Captain -CL 2**

Posted Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:27 AM

Is there much of a market for Nuon games?  I came across a copy of Ballistic the other day and grabbed it as I never seen something like that before at retail.  I was more curious just to see what it would look like than anything and of course no player for it.

I'm sure if you really wanted to you could get an easy $30 for that.  :D

I like Ballistic.  A simple game, I think it was on the Playstation 1 or 2, but a lot of fun.

No image on screen, can't eject disc! If I hit open just says opens and tray doesn't move.

Hmmm... which model did you say you have again?   

#159 Tanooki ONLINE  

Tanooki

Quadrunner

• 5,449 posts

Posted Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:36 AM

I was thinking of $20 for it, it's not perfect, the cover art has some humidity ripple to it, but the disc is minimally scuffed.

Ballistic is on basically everything including the GB Color.

#160 haightc OFFLINE  

haightc

Chopper Commander

• 195 posts

Posted Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:59 AM

Hmmm... which model did you say you have again?   

Samsung N501

#161 doctorclu OFFLINE  

doctorclu

***Moon Patrol 5200*** *Moon Master2015* *Blue Max:Class 4*

• Topic Starter
  • 7,656 posts
  • *Star Raiders 2* **Captain -CL 2**

Posted Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:12 PM

Samsung N501

So there is a trick I found as one possibility

Use the CD player from a Samsung M105 or M104

https://www.thehelpe...s-solved.36227/

There is one on ebay right now.

https://www.ebay.com...b3KMn:rk:3:pf:1

#162 haightc OFFLINE  

haightc

Chopper Commander

• 195 posts

Posted Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:49 PM

I would think it was trying to read the disc, I would still get something on the screen.   I can hear the disc spin when turning on, maybe it's not showing anything because it's failing at disc detect.    Nothing on eBay US, shipping a M104/5 would coast more than another Nuon.    According to the thread the DVD-S321 should be compatible, no full units on eBay but there is a laser replacement for $25.   I guess to test if it's really just stuck on disc detect, I could open up the unit and manually remove the disc.    In theory if no disc is is detected and tray will then open and close, that would make it more likely a laser replacement would work.    Here in the states I could just try just try my luck buying random old samsung DVD players at thrift stores.

#163 haightc OFFLINE  

haightc

Chopper Commander

• 195 posts

Posted Thu Dec 6, 2018 10:50 AM

removing the disc and then removing the drive didn't help, still just saying loading!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Nuon, VLM, Atari, Jaguar, Jeff Minter, N501, N2000, Project X, Tempest 3000, Merlin Racing

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users