Photo

32k expansion for the side port - released

32k sidecar memory

385 replies to this topic

#376 MueThor OFFLINE  

MueThor

Space Invader

• 43 posts
  • Location:OMG, yet another good former TI customer from Germany ;-)

Posted Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:30 PM

Dear --- Ω ---,

You never reacted to following:

..., where the NanoPEB locks one into stagnation without even being 100% compatible.

Sure that it is the NanoPEB and not the CF7+, which is not 100% compatible with the TI hardware? If so, then please tell me, in which cases do you encounter problems?

Regards

Edited by MueThor, Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:30 PM.

#377 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

Quadrunner

• 10,366 posts

Posted Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:02 PM

Dear --- Ω ---,

You never reacted to following:

Sure that it is the NanoPEB and not the CF7+, which is not 100% compatible with the TI hardware? If so, then please tell me, in which cases do you encounter problems?

Regards

Sorry for missing your post...

The NanoPEB (not CF7 as it has no RS-232) does not work with legacy software like Telco or other communications programs.  I've not kept up-to-date on that aspect, but I believe InsaneMultitasker may have remedied that limitation with his TIMXT.  The NanoPEB does however work with Stuart's Internet browser, so that is a good thing.  

Another problem I've experienced (on my second unit) was the intermittent corruption of data on the CF card when writing to it from the TI or copying data from one emulated disk to another.  Some units are flaky.

The thing I do not like about the current design is that it locks you into an unexpandable situation.  Maybe the new rumored design will correct that, I don't know.

Some people have had success with it, and others like it, but to be honest, I'm personally not a fan, so it sits on a shelf unused.

#378 jedimatt42 ONLINE  

jedimatt42

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,209 posts

Posted Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:48 PM

I created this video covering how my 32k memory expansion board is assembled. 

You might find it useful if you want to assemble your own from the kit form on Arcadeshopper.com

-M@

#379 PeteE OFFLINE  

PeteE

Star Raider

• 80 posts

Posted Tue May 23, 2017 10:46 AM

Question about the expansion header: is it supposed to passthru 5v power on pin1 from the TI expansion port or from the barrel connector?  I have no speech synth to block it.  What I'm seeing is the header pin1 power only comes from the barrel connector, regardless of the jumper selection.  I suppose I can cut the trace and solder a wire to the TI power.

Edit: Nevermind, I suspect this is intentional to avoid damaging the console.  Mainbyte ti99_tech.pdf says as much in a note about pins 1 and 43.

Edited by PeteE, Tue May 23, 2017 2:07 PM.

#380 jedimatt42 ONLINE  

jedimatt42

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,209 posts

Posted Thu May 25, 2017 10:35 PM

Question about the expansion header: is it supposed to passthru 5v power on pin1 from the TI expansion port or from the barrel connector?  I have no speech synth to block it.  What I'm seeing is the header pin1 power only comes from the barrel connector, regardless of the jumper selection.  I suppose I can cut the trace and solder a wire to the TI power.

Edit: Nevermind, I suspect this is intentional to avoid damaging the console.  Mainbyte ti99_tech.pdf says as much in a note about pins 1 and 43.

Yep. 

You could also just bridge all the bins on the selector jumper header. That would connect the +5v thru. But, I isolated them on purpose, thinking that if we power more off the side, we should use the barrel connector. 

-M@

#381 MueThor OFFLINE  

MueThor

Space Invader

• 43 posts

Posted Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:58 AM

Dear jedimatt42,

Where have you bought the female edge connector and pins that can be seen in your video (I would like to buy only them on their own for other projects)?

Regards

Edited by MueThor, Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:06 AM.

#382 jedimatt42 ONLINE  

jedimatt42

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,209 posts

Posted Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:41 AM

Dear jedimatt42,

Where have you bought the female edge connector and pins that can be seen in your video (I would like to buy only them on their own for other projects)?

Regards

They are links in the "Bill of Materials" section on the project page:

http://ti994a.cwfk.net/32k.html

-M@

#383 MueThor OFFLINE  

MueThor

Space Invader

• 43 posts

Posted Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:28 AM

Dear jedimatt42,

Thank you for your answers. Unfortunately, I forgot to also ask you following: Where have you bought the breadboard or the parts for erecting it?

Regards

#384 arcadeshopper OFFLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 2,470 posts

Posted Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:30 AM

Dear jedimatt42,

Thank you for your answers. Unfortunately, I forgot to also ask you following: Where have you bought the breadboard or the parts for erecting it?

Regards

I got mine at frys they sell them on Amazon and eBay

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

#385 Swim OFFLINE  

Swim

Star Raider

• 59 posts

Posted Fri Sep 1, 2017 8:42 PM

A very neat and safe device now that I finished fitting the case to the 32k board.

Attached File  IMG_2627.JPG   2.78MB   3 downloadsAttached File  IMG_2629.JPG   3.05MB   3 downloadsAttached File  IMG_2631.JPG   2.81MB   3 downloads

#386 save2600 OFFLINE  

save2600

Quadrunner

• 14,019 posts

Posted Sat Sep 2, 2017 5:27 PM

^ want! :love:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 32k, sidecar, memory

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users