IGNORED

32k expansion for the side port - released

jedimatt42

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi guys

sorry for my english is not very well.

i want to ask something please if i use external power

adapter 5v barrel were is polarity ....?

Tip(pin) +

Ring(sleeve) -

"It runs off of +5v, using about 5-10mah. There is one configuration jumper to either take power from external 5.5/2.1mm tip-positive power jack, or the TI-99/4A sideport."

http://ti994a.cwfk.net/32k.html

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

My last TI was tricked out w/ all the latest and greatest at the time (TIM/SoB, Horizon RD, CC Triple Tech, PGram, updated Myarc FDC card supporting 3 1/2" (720 or 1.44...can't recall...think 720), and snagged a rare MBX system. Anyhow...that went to a fellow TI enthusiast when my daughter was on the way and my mancave became a nursery. I'm now getting back into my first love with a console and a FinalGrom99 on order. I'm hoping the F18A MK2 sees the light of day soon as I loved the upgraded graphics on mine, minus the SoB overheating problem. Anyhow...going the whole PE-Box route now really doesn't make much sense and is inviting legacy hardware failures. So...I'm interested in the 32K sidecar with option for TIPI down the line (though bare bones PBox w/ card version of TIPI might be attractive too...). Is the one on arcade shopper latest and greatest? Can I get it w/ external power supply and case that has openings or TIPI port and for power supply, LEDs, etc? My understanding is that if you go TIPI, then even a pin 1 jumped Speech Synth may not do the trick and that it should be switched to ext power mode, right? Anyhow...I'd love to get my hands on the latest version of this w/ case and power supply.

• Like 1

Definitely buy from Greg's store!

Do not trust ebay versions of the 32k board, as some have a shorter connection, making fitting a case on them impossible.

I think his store still has a power supply you can buy at the same time as the 32k, and a case.

Yes, you want to power it externally, even without TiPi.

• Like 1

hmm... I don't see a benefit to using an ext. PS. My sidecar 32K becomes corrupt to a much greater extent than the PBOX 32k did when the console is power cycled. The sidecar 32K doesn't even get warm to the touch during operation so it shouldn't present much loading to the console's PS. Needlessly adding an unneeded PS seems like... more that could go wrong.

Newer wallworts contain many switching components that can fail esp. due to the A.C. grid's voltage transients. None of them has overvoltaged me yet, yet I still don't trust them implicitly.

hmm... I don't see a benefit to using an ext. PS. My sidecar 32K becomes corrupt to a much greater extent than the PBOX 32k did when the console is power cycled. The sidecar 32K doesn't even get warm to the touch during operation so it shouldn't present much loading to the console's PS. Needlessly adding an unneeded PS seems like... more that could go wrong.

Newer wallworts contain many switching components that can fail esp. due to the A.C. grid's voltage transients. None of them has overvoltaged me yet, yet I still don't trust them implicitly.

The biggest advantage of the P-Box has always been you lose nothing in SAMS when you turn on/off the console.

I can reload RXB and continue using what is in SAMS.

(Of course normal PASS MODE of 32K is corrupted but the rest of SAMS is unaffected.)

I demoted this in a RXB demo of having 44K of lower 8K assembly support loaded into SAMS.

I know some people love just a 32K but compared to what you can do with 1 Meg of SAMS memory make it look ancient.

• Like 1

People are still having fun exploring what they can do with 16k of ram on a stock console...

Other people want the 1983 experience without the cost of shipping a big steel box.

Others just want to be able to use the newer home brew cartridges, many if which now require 32k.

This thread is for constructive 32k side port discussion. There is a different thread for constructive SAMS discussion.

-M@

The purpose of the external power supply on the 32k side port board is to provide power to future add on such as the TIPI.

It is NOT in any way about persistent state.

-M@

Oh, it was also needed to supply power to the device if you want to use a stock speech synthesizer

-M@

That's what i was trying to say with my last post.

• Like 1

Oh, it was also needed to supply power to the device if you want to use a stock speech synthesizer

-M@

The power supplies listed for it on arcadeshopper are out of stock. Could you post a couple of amazon or ebay links of ones you trust for use w/ your sidecar? Also, I have ordered the sidecar and core i64 case from arcadeshopper, though since I ordered it the case is now showing out of stock. I'm hoping I got the last one or two and that my order goes out soon. If not, the place that has the case also seems to sell the sidecar: https://corei64.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=161 What do you know about the 32K sidecars there in terms of make and revision compared to the ones on arcade shopper? Wasn't sure if arcade shopper ones are your originals, what is the latest revision, etc. Thanks in advance!

Just to be clear I haven't made these for a couple years now.

The latest board design back then was labeled Rev 3.

Nobody else started building until after I published the Rev 3 board. So I expect it is that.

As for power-supply: 5v tip positive 2.1mm x 5.5mm barrel Jack.

I cannot offer a link to a specific power-supply cause I just use a USB to barrel Jack cable with whatever USB supply is in reach. I don't use my side port system in a recommended setup.

-M@

The power supplies listed for it on arcadeshopper are out of stock. Could you post a couple of amazon or ebay links of ones you trust for use w/ your sidecar? Also, I have ordered the sidecar and core i64 case from arcadeshopper, though since I ordered it the case is now showing out of stock. I'm hoping I got the last one or two and that my order goes out soon. If not, the place that has the case also seems to sell the sidecar: https://corei64.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=161 What do you know about the 32K sidecars there in terms of make and revision compared to the ones on arcade shopper? Wasn't sure if arcade shopper ones are your originals, what is the latest revision, etc. Thanks in advance!

They have been out of stock for like a day.I'll get more in.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Oh, also, to my knowledge, none of the 3D printed cases for just the 32k memory board, accommodate a TIPI with their little expansion windows. I did not design TIPI with any consideration for them, and they did not design their cases with any consideration for what I had in the works.

I don't know how a 32k board sits in the 32k+TIPI cases without a TIPI... The Corei64 cases use spacers to hold things in place. Maybe someone in that situation can provide a few illustratons/pictures?

-M@

They have been out of stock for like a day.I'll get more in.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Awesome! I don't want to lose time on getting the sidecar and case from the order already placed, but if you can get the power supply in a day or two, let's ship all 3 together and I can PayPal you the extra for the supply. Just let me know - thanks in advance!

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
On 9/19/2016 at 6:00 AM, Ksarul said:

This shall be added to my test toolbox as a physical cartridge. :) That way I can test with no hardware dependencies.

https://github.com/jedimatt42/ti994a-32kmemtest/releases

I've updated this testing tool to cover Foundation 128K - 512K, Myarc 128K - 512K, and SAMS boards.   It is still just an 8K ROM. 

-M@

Edited by jedimatt42
v 1.4 was bugged.
  • Like 4