IGNORED

What happened to the Sega Saturn mod chips?

So I was debating on getting a Saturn for a fellow gamer with the thought in mind to do the chip mod so backups could be played. The bad thing is when I went looking for them they were not available readily on Racketboy nor on a few other places one of which no longer exists sadly. So why the shortage I wonder? Anyone know and anyone still have connections for these?

there is a newer chip (the phantom universal). supposed to be in stock in few days from the guy that sells them in canada

http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/zer0-2k11s-mod-chip-and-installation-shop.43131/page-19#post-889212

i think badad has some stock but hes in the UK

http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/for-sale-modding-parts-chips-etc.39971/

edit:

forgot about the canada postal strike so maybe not a few days

• Like 1

That seems a nice option for burnt out laser models. Sadly I have a few of those lying about. just not sure on the cost of shipping and the 130 EUD for the RHEA.

also another option that can play burned discs without a modchip

http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/saturn-proof-of-concept-bootloader-pseudo-saturn.52526/

This intrigues me for sure I have 2 un modded ones I might try this with. Thanks for the info.

;) That seems a nice option for burnt out laser models. Sadly I have a few of those lying about. just not sure on the cost of shipping and the 130 EUD for the RHEA.

What is exactly an EUD?

This intrigues me for sure I have 2 un modded ones I might try this with. Thanks for the info.

It works mostly (few titles are not compatible) just need an AR or GS or even MCP and a way to flash them.

Cafe-alpha is still working on bringing back AR support

http://ppcenter.webou.net/pskai/

The Rhea or Phoebe is not easy to get. Ordering window opens up for a very short time every couple of months and sells out almost instantly

I was lucky to be able to buy one. It is very much worth getting. You can have an entire regions library on a single SD card

• Like 1

The Rhea or Phoebe is not easy to get. Ordering window opens up for a very short time every couple of months and sells out almost instantly

I was lucky to be able to buy one. It is very much worth getting. You can have an entire regions library on a single SD card

Not to mention the guy behind it has such an off-putting attitude that I'm not really that inclined to order from him. Probably best not to adopt a passive-aggressive attitude when you're dealing with customer service...
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...

What is exactly an EUD?

It works mostly (few titles are not compatible) just need an AR or GS or even MCP and a way to flash them.

Cafe-alpha is still working on bringing back AR support

http://ppcenter.webou.net/pskai/

I don't normally kick up old threads, but it looks like AR support was brought back.

Question about my AR cart... it looks exactly like the ones you find on Amazon or ebay for about $25-$30. Mine looks like those (Action Replay Plus, 1M/4M), but it has a parallel port on top of it. Any ideas what that is for. Searching only brought up the vague "can use on PC for other functions"... whatever that means....

I'm on the road at the moment so I don't have specifics. But I heard good things about the recent Saturn ODE (optical drive emulator), specifically the Phoebe Type 3 version that uses SD cards eg https://gdemu.wordpress.com/ from back in May. I don't know if more will be for sale again soon.

I already have one modded Saturn which works fine but you have to use discs of course. I also have another one with a dead drive.. so just thinking of the possibility of not having to use the disc player and simply load complete libraries of games via memory card sounds pretty attractive. Still looking into it though

Edited by NE146

It's a shame there's not more Rhea/Phoebe users out there. I just loaded up RMENU 0.2 (thanks to neuroacid), makes the experience using the ODE much better.

When you load the games in folders, it doesn't matter what order you have them in now. When you build the RMENU iso, you still have the chance to edit the game names. But when you boot RMENU it automatically has listed everything alphabetically. It no longer shows "RMENU" on the list with games.

The biggest improvement is fast boot with soft reboot patching. You can now do the A+B+C+start from a games title screen that takes you back to the CD player, the ODE resets to folder 1 (RMENU location) so you just start app and back to game select menu. No longer need to do a power down and back on.

Whatever was happening with that guy who found the "back door" on the Saturn while trying to figure out how to use the music chips or whatever? I thought that was supposed to turn into something that would just plug in the back and be able to boot games. It was all over gaming news for a little while, but I haven't heard anything lately.

Edit: This guy... https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/07/after-20-years-a-new-hack-gets-around-the-sega-saturns-copy-protection/

Edited by Eltigro

Whatever was happening with that guy who found the "back door" on the Saturn while trying to figure out how to use the music chips or whatever? I thought that was supposed to turn into something that would just plug in the back and be able to boot games. It was all over gaming news for a little while, but I haven't heard anything lately.

Edit: This guy... https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/07/after-20-years-a-new-hack-gets-around-the-sega-saturns-copy-protection/

https://www.patreon.com/prof_abrasive

Sent from my Phrenologists waiting room.

Not to mention the guy behind it has such an off-putting attitude that I'm not really that inclined to order from him. Probably best not to adopt a passive-aggressive attitude when you're dealing with customer service...

I get that vibe too, but people give him a ton of crap in the comments sections for not making the things available 24/7. He really doesn't deserve most of it. The one thing he says that always bugs me is how he's so surprised that the things keep selling out so quick, as if everybody who wants one should have one by now. I think he could approach it a lot better, but he seems very protective of his IP. He did mention that he's getting help with production to allow larger runs so that's something. I've been following him since January and I've already given up on ever getting a Rhea. Too many people want one and most of them are a lot more dedicated than me. I'm more focused on Abrasive's project now.

:lolblue: the dude's customer service is fine. The problem is impatient, entitled gamers who still haven't figured out he's a hobbyist. You can only tell whiny gamers "they'll be for sale when they're for sale" so many ways. I think his no BS approach is refreshing, actually. Do you really need to be coddled with "we appreciate your interest, and look forward to our chance to serve you. Customers are family here at -------, and we've made that approach a cornerstone of our business since being found in ---- " at every turn? I can't stand that smarmy crap. Product availability is easily seen on his site, there's no mystery involved.

There was absolutely no drama involved when I made one of the order windows. I received an email from paypal requesting payment, I sent the money. He shipped out the Rhea and it arrived without issue.

With either of those options though, it looks like I would have to have someone install it.

The rhea/phoebe install is incredibly simple. Can be done in 10 minutes. Changing the air filter in my car is more annoying.

Edited by keepdreamin

:lolblue: the dude's customer service is fine. The problem is impatient, entitled gamers who still haven't figured out he's a hobbyist. You can only tell whiny gamers "they'll be for sale when they're for sale" so many ways. I think his no BS approach is refreshing, actually. Do you really need to be coddled with "we appreciate your interest, and look forward to our chance to serve you. Customers are family here at -------, and we've made that approach a cornerstone of our business since being found in ---- " at every turn? I can't stand that smarmy crap. Product availability is easily seen on his site, there's no mystery involved.

There was absolutely no drama involved when I made one of the order windows. I received an email from paypal requesting payment, I sent the money. He shipped out the Rhea and it arrived without issue.

The rhea/phoebe install is incredibly simple. Can be done in 10 minutes. Changing the air filter in my car is more annoying.

The comments in GDEMU's posts get pretty abusive, I'm surprised he does what his does at all anymore. I would have taken my ball and run home with it by now. The worst was that fat **** from retroRGB who made that video whining about an order window lasting 5 minutes when he clearly had no idea how the operation works. This was after he made a video publicizing the new batch of ODEs before they went on sale. I'll be sure to grab some popcorn if he ever starts making one for the PCE or PS1 or Sega CD.

I've already decided I'm not going to try to compete with gamers with too much spare time to get a Rhea. Part of me wishes he'd license his design to someone like krikkz to produce them en masse, but who knows what the economics of that actually are.