IGNORED

Atari Flashback Portable!

Over the weekend I went to Bed Bath and Beyond and snagged one of these with the 20% off coupon. They had them in a huge pile on a display table along with the Genesis and Flashback 7. I loaded the games up on a 512mb SD I found kicking around the house, and yeah, this thing is pretty cool.

And may I add that I've never played the Pac Man 8K rom before. It's probably the most impressive 2600 game I've played!

Games I've been playing the most:

-Asteroids

-Frogger

-Cosmic Ark

-H.E.R.O.

-Pac Man 8K

-Star Trek: Strategic Operations Simulator

-Dragster

-Enduro

-Gorf

I'm hoping the SD slot makes its way to the Flashback TV consoles. That would be pretty cool.

I'm thinking That would sell a whole bunch more Flashbacks!!

I'm thinking That would sell a whole bunch more Flashbacks!!

I suggested it already, but right now it's not looking likely. My argument was we already have removable storage on the Sega console, so if the Atari Portable is at parity with the Sega portable, why not give the Atari console some type of parity with the Sega console? I'm sure it can be argued with 100+ games built into the Atari console, that an SD card slot is probably not a big sales driver in the grand scheme of things.

• Like 1

Actually, against my advice, it looks like there will be standard tier systems and premium tier systems, so all is not lost for those who for some (insane to me) reason prefer composite. Either way, it will still be updated hardware inside.

As someone who doesn't mind paying a little extra for a nicer thing, this is good news -- so long as the "premium tier" earns the extra price, especially on the portable. Assuming perfect emulation (including sound), I would love to see better build quality, a glass screen cover, maybe a folding hinge.

I just re-re-re-rediscovered my GBA SP AGS-101, and just can't get over how nice it is to hold and play, which is not something I say about a lot of tech from 2005.

It would be even nicer if it charged via a more standard cable and had a normal headphone jack, but we can't even get that in $$$ smartphones nowadays. ;)

• Like 2

As someone who doesn't mind paying a little extra for a nicer thing, this is good news -- so long as the "premium tier" earns the extra price, especially on the portable. Assuming perfect emulation (including sound), I would love to see better build quality, a glass screen cover, maybe a folding hinge.

I just re-re-re-rediscovered my GBA SP AGS-101, and just can't get over how nice it is to hold and play, which is not something I say about a lot of tech from 2005.

I'm not necessarily suggesting there will be two tiers of portables, only consoles. We'll see how things go, but that appears to be the current plan. A few things of course will be in flux until things are discussed in greater detail with more retailers.

I agree about the AGS-101. It's my preferred GB/GBC/GBA because of the fantastic screen upgrade. With that said, I think I'd actually like that screen in the older GameBoy Advance. That wider form factor is a bit more comfortable for my hands.

• Like 1

I'm not necessarily suggesting there will be two tiers of portables, only consoles. We'll see how things go, but that appears to be the current plan. A few things of course will be in flux until things are discussed in greater detail with more retailers.

I agree about the AGS-101. It's my preferred GB/GBC/GBA because of the fantastic screen upgrade. With that said, I think I'd actually like that screen in the older GameBoy Advance. That wider form factor is a bit more comfortable for my hands.

Hmf, oh well. I DGAF about more TV consoles, I already have too much stuff wired to that screen. But as we are fond of saying here, I'm not their target audience.

There are lots of people selling modded wide body GBAs with the AGS-101 screen. I'm tempted too, but I like the rechargeable battery and folding screen. I also covet the smaller 3DS for reasons of pocketability.

• Like 1

I think that there will be a bandwagon effect for one of the two tiers.

One of them is going to get better reviews, and that model will be the best seller while the other one will languish. Seems like wasted effort. Seems like a standard worn-out way to attract more buyers. Too many models - soon it becomes time consuming to manage all the versions and parts needed to build them.

Hmf, oh well. I DGAF about more TV consoles, I already have too much stuff wired to that screen. But as we are fond of saying here, I'm not their target audience.

I agree about the console thing, but yeah, we have to look at the bigger picture. Not everyone has half a dozen things or more hooked up to their TVs!

Also, don't get me wrong about the portables staying the way they are. We HAVE discussed more substantive upgrades like bigger screens and what-not, but that all comes down to available supply of upgraded parts (I don't want us falling into the trap of the Supaboy S update with the widescreen thing, for instance) and other factors. Again, all too early to say how things will shake out. The current plans may change dramatically over the next few months. Post CES, everything will have to start to get locked down. Right now is the preliminary planning.

• Like 1

I think that there will be a bandwagon effect for one of the two tiers.

One of them is going to get better reviews, and that model will be the best seller while the other one will languish. Seems like wasted effort. Seems like a standard worn-out way to attract more buyers. Too many models - soon it becomes time consuming to manage all the versions and parts needed to build them.

I agree. I'm thinking this might be a transition year and then it will all just be the one (premium) thing.

• Like 1

I'm hoping that I got a faulty unit. The sound is pretty bad on it. It's staticy in an obnoxious way. Even when I hit the pause button, I can hear a static buzz and hum.

I exchanged mine today, and I guess the wonky sound is just what it is, as both were identical. Yars Revenge is an audible mess, for example.

The new new one I got has a defectively made power light, so I'll be exchanging again.

...all is not lost for those who for some (insane to me) reason prefer composite.

On one hand, for systems like the Intellivision Flashback, I like having an analogue system on an analogue TV, with minimal input lag.

On the other hand, I already own a huge NES and Sega Genesis collection, so I couldn't care less what kind of video output these new plug'n'play models have =)

...I would love to see ... a glass screen cover...

They break too easily.

With that said, I think I'd actually like that screen in the older GameBoy Advance.

They make a special ribbon cable so you can mod them that way. I really ought to buy one before they stop making them, but I think I might already be too late.

I'm tempted too, but I like the rechargeable battery and folding screen.

They make AA and AAA batteries that can be recharged ;) And the nice thing about that, is unlike the SP/DS/3DS, when your battery dries up and stops holding a charge, you can just buy a brand new pair at the drug store.

Folding screen is nice, but I find the form factor on the SP to be pretty uncomfortable for any game that requires R+L buttons.

Edited by Asaki

I've started going through all of the built in games to see how they play. Most of them are pretty good except the paddle games. The control is just to wonky with the pad. Hopefully next year's version has controller ports and maybe a small spinner.

I wouldn't mind even an additional button on the unit that acts as a speed control for paddle movement.

Also, drink your milk, say your prayers and eat your vitamins.

Several reported unusual behavior when the unit was not fully charged. That combined with what I would consider an unusually long initial charge time made me make that suggestion.

Not to mention that you've already had an issue with what seems to be normal operation of the device.

Edit: Just Realized you aren't even the one with the issue. Enjoy your milk and vitamins

Picked up mine yesterday. Only played it for a short time but I gotta say it's pretty cool. Decent selection of built-in games, good controls, feels good and plays good. My only criticism is the screen is tiny to my old eyes. Some details, like the new Frogger graphics, are almost lost at the screen size. But for the price it's really a cool toy.

• Like 1

Several reported unusual behavior when the unit was not fully charged. That combined with what I would consider an unusually long initial charge time made me make that suggestion.

The manual suggests to charge the unit for 11 hrs the first time, then 4 hrs every time after that.

Picked up mine yesterday. Only played it for a short time but I gotta say it's pretty cool. Decent selection of built-in games, good controls, feels good and plays good. My only criticism is the screen is tiny to my old eyes. Some details, like the new Frogger graphics, are almost lost at the screen size. But for the price it's really a cool toy.

Me too! I can't agree with you more!

I ran thru alot of homebrew games to see if they would work. (see the other thread for my list)

Check the tracking, mine says it will be here tommorow, but despite ordering from BBB Canada, it shipped from Henderson, Nevada?

They must not have a Canadian distribution center to fulfill online orders, just an online storefront.

They at least have one on the east coast of the US, since mine shipped out of Keasbey, New Jersey. Never even heard of the place until this (Or Henderson Nevada, for that matter). I wonder if they have tax free zones like I've heard about, that allow big retailers to avoid paying inventory taxes if they locate something like this there.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

Actually, against my advice, it looks like there will be standard tier systems and premium tier systems, so all is not lost for those who for some (insane to me) reason prefer composite. Either way, it will still be updated hardware inside.

The Retrobit did both composite and HDMI. How much does it add, like 50 cent for a couple AV jacks? The more options, the merrier I say.

Over the weekend I went to Bed Bath and Beyond and snagged one of these with the 20% off coupon. They had them in a huge pile on a display table along with the Genesis and Flashback 7. I loaded the games up on a 512mb SD I found kicking around the house, and yeah, this thing is pretty cool.

When I picked up my Pacman and Space invaders LCDs at BB&B, the cashier said the 20% coupons were only available if we signed up for promotional emails... :sad:

It would be even nicer if it charged via a more standard cable and had a normal headphone jack, but we can't even get that in $$$ smartphones nowadays. ;)

Yes, yes, and yes. :thumbsup:

There are lots of people selling modded wide body GBAs with the AGS-101 screen. I'm tempted too, but I like the rechargeable battery and folding screen. I also covet the smaller 3DS for reasons of pocketability.

I honestly play most of my GBA games either on the sideways model or the DS Phat, because the SP form factor hurts with my large man hands. These systems were not meant for adults! Any game that makes extensive use of the L and R triggers (Mario Kart Super Circuit for instance) is a cramp fest on the SP. :razz: Then when the Micro came out (with no support for classic Game Boy) I shrugged it off and laughed... :roll:

They must not have a Canadian distribution center to fulfill online orders, just an online storefront.

They at least have one on the east coast of the US, since mine shipped out of Keasbey, New Jersey. Never even heard of the place until this (Or Henderson Nevada, for that matter). I wonder if they have tax free zones like I've heard about, that allow big retailers to avoid paying inventory taxes if they locate something like this there.

Possibly they do not stock certain items in the Canadian warehouse if they're not big sellers, and just eat the shipping charge for shipping from US distribution centers, unless corporations get massive volume shipping discounts. Shipping anything to Canada too big to fit in a padded envelope is expensive as @#$%... :roll: