IGNORED

Atari Flashback Portable!

The original Frogger the music on that one was from some childrens tv show in Japan one of if not its theme song. I saw that some months ago and watched the clip and it's right in there a few times as part of a verse.

Found it!

https://youtu.be/9CDd938DOaM?t=58s

Inu No Omawarisan

The original Frogger used music from multiple sources, including opening title themes from four then-recent anime TV series, as I noted in this post last year. In that post, I also noted the game's use of "a traditional Japanese children's song," by which I meant "Inu no Omawarisan" ("The Doggy Policeman"). At the time, I was under the impression that it was a very old song, old enough to be in the public domain, but I discovered a few months ago from the song's Wikipedia page that it was written and first broadcast in the early 1960s. Thus, it is still under copyright protection and would need to be licensed in order for the Parker Brothers Frogger to ever be commercially made available again; that song is one of the port's two pieces of music.

This is my 799th post.

onmode-ky

• Like 1

The original Frogger used music from multiple sources, including opening title themes from four then-recent anime TV series, as I noted in this post last year. In that post, I also noted the game's use of "a traditional Japanese children's song," by which I meant "Inu no Omawarisan" ("The Doggy Policeman"). At the time, I was under the impression that it was a very old song, old enough to be in the public domain, but I discovered a few months ago from the song's Wikipedia page that it was written and first broadcast in the early 1960s. Thus, it is still under copyright protection and would need to be licensed in order for the Parker Brothers Frogger to ever be commercially made available again; that song is one of the port's two pieces of music.

This is my 799th post.

onmode-ky

I'm curious about the songs. I listened to this and don't recognize which part is in Frogger:

Also I'm unable to find an opening for the Arthur anime that sounds like Frogger. Also I assume the "level complete" music in the 2600 version of Frogger is original?

It'll be cool if someone could put together a proper comparison list of the Frogger music and their originals.

Edit: Oh found that one. Never heard it from the arcade version before. Still, a comparison would be cool.

Edited by Tangentg

I'm curious about the songs. I listened to this and don't recognize which part is in Frogger:

Also I'm unable to find an opening for the Arthur anime that sounds like Frogger. Also I assume the "level complete" music in the 2600 version of Frogger is original?

It'll be cool if someone could put together a proper comparison list of the Frogger music and their originals.

Edit: Oh found that one. Never heard it from the arcade version before. Still, a comparison would be cool.

It's one of the little interstitial ditties in the arcade original, not the main tune that plays in the 2600 version. Here it is, cued up to match the song you posted:

https://youtu.be/l9fO-YuWPSk?t=46s

It's one of the little interstitial ditties in the arcade original, not the main tune that plays in the 2600 version. Here it is, cued up to match the song you posted:

https://youtu.be/l9fO-YuWPSk?t=46s

I found it out later but thanks. Never heard of that one until yesterday. Guess my never really having played arcade Trigger explains it. Are the music intact in the Atari 8-bit computer version? I've seen videos of it having music but also videos that don't.

I found it out later but thanks. Never heard of that one until yesterday. Guess my never really having played arcade Trigger explains it. Are the music intact in the Atari 8-bit computer version? I've seen videos of it having music but also videos that don't.

Trigger? Are you using auto-correct? :P

I have been getting back into retro gaming and came across the Flash Black Portable so I ordered one. After reading I am glad I got the older one since it is said to be a little bigger, and I have big hands. I am guessing there will not be a way to update the emulator inside with the one that comes on the soon to be released version since it has be tweaked for compatibility.

Never the less still looking forward to trying it out.

I have been getting back into retro gaming and came across the Flash Black Portable so I ordered one. After reading I am glad I got the older one since it is said to be a little bigger, and I have big hands. I am guessing there will not be a way to update the emulator inside with the one that comes on the soon to be released version since it has be tweaked for compatibility.

Never the less still looking forward to trying it out.

I think the new one is using the same shell.

I think the new one is using the same shell.

Ah you might just be right. I read

It's substantially similar to the previous handheld, save for some minor tweaks and new games.

and for some reason my mind read the word similar as smaller.

I just got mine in and was trying to check out the games from the zip file of games hacked to work.

I put the folder on the root of my card but when I click to browse the card in the Flashback nothing happens.

Maybe I missed a step and need to put the Game folder in another folder and not root. I'll have to pull the booklet out.

I also used a Micro SD card into a SD card reader into the Portable so that might be causing an issue.

I'll have to track down a full sized card.

My memory cards I have are from my car dash cams and they all use Micro SD

Edited by DragonSparks

Ah you might just be right. I read

and for some reason my mind read the word similar as smaller.

I just got mine in and was trying to check out the games from the zip file of games hacked to work.

I put the folder on the root of my card but when I click to browse the card in the Flashback nothing happens.

Maybe I missed a step and need to put the Game folder in another folder and not root. I'll have to pull the booklet out.

I also used a Micro SD card into a SD card reader into the Portable so that might be causing an issue.

I'll have to track down a full sized card.

My memory cards I have are from my car dash cams and they all use Micro SD

I don't know this for sure but you may have to format it a certain way. Might be card incompatibilities too????

No, but I reformatted (Ubuntu). Maybe you can get microSD with adapter to work, but I couldn't, at least easily. Obviously, it could also have something to do with varying quality of different cards.

My collection is all left-overs from many years, ever since the early digital camera days, maybe around the turn of the century and the y2k bug hysteria. Besides being many different capacities, some are pretty old.

What is the expected maximum physical life of these things, anyway (irrespective of reads/writes)?

Maybe you can get microSD with adapter to work, but I couldn't, at least easily. Obviously, it could also have something to do with varying quality of different cards.

MicroSD worked just fine for me, but yeah, SDHC is a crapshoot on many devices, unless they explicitly state that they support it.

Brand is important, too. I try to stick to Sandisk or Kingston; I have a couple cards that are other brands, but they don't work anymore.

• 3 weeks later...

I wasn't so impressed with them. I placed one on the NES controller I converted to 7800 and within an hour of using the controller the stickers slid around and messed up. And yes, I cleaned the surface with alcohol first so that it was free of dirt and grime. Same thing happened with my arcade joysticks. These crome decals look great as accents but are not durable at all. Also they are way too expensive for their size.

I wasn't so impressed with them. I placed one on the NES controller I converted to 7800 and within an hour of using the controller the stickers slid around and messed up. And yes, I cleaned the surface with alcohol first so that it was free of dirt and grime. Same thing happened with my arcade joysticks. These crome decals look great as accents but are not durable at all. Also they are way too expensive for their size.

Was thinking about putting one of them on my AFP case......

post-2652-0-16596900-1500103106_thumb.jpg

post-2652-0-92188800-1500103145_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I posted the official final game lists for all of the 2017 AtGames products on Armchair Arcade: http://armchairarcade.com/perspectives/

The only one missing is the Atari Flashback 8 Gold Activision Edition Console because we're still waiting on confirmation on one of the titles.

• Like 2

I wish I'd taken a picture when the metallic decals started sliding off... :roll:

Do you think it would stay better if it was covered over with say....clear packing tape?

I'm guessing that each letter and the logo are all stickers independent of each other? and not on a clear backing sticker/label???

Do you think it would stay better if it was covered over with say....clear packing tape?

I'm guessing that each letter and the logo are all stickers independent of each other? and not on a clear backing sticker/label???

Individual chrome pieces. There is a piece of clear application tape used to apply the logo which is then peeled off as the sticker is applied.

• Like 1