IGNORED

Atari Flashback Portable!

I did a quick and dirty bulk edit of a big folder full of ROMs, and it loads fine. If it's a problem to keep this file here, please let me know and I'll remove it. attachicon.gifFor Flashback Portable.zip

Throw the attached Game folder onto an SD card and off you go. I noticed that the Starpath Frogger doesn't load (locks up at black screen) but other random old games I've tried have all worked well.

I'm happy to help contribute to a shared compatibility list.

WOW! that is awesome! This file loads instantly on my pre production device, games seem to be working so far I have tried. Great work Flomojo!

Frogger looks arcade/Genesis quality (not VCS), and there's no music.

This was probably the reason why, aside from 2600 game rom space limitations:

"That catchy opening theme tune on the arcade version? It's not an original composition. It's a Japanese song called Inu No Omawarisan (The Dog Policeman), and was originally aimed at kids. It's not the only theme borrowed from elsewhere – during gameplay you'll also hear the signature songs from Japanese anime series Hana no Ko Lunlun and Araiguma Rascal. Perhaps Konami couldn't find a decent composer during development?"

http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/feature/a796330/10-things-you-didnt-know-about-frogger/

WOW! that is awesome! This file loads instantly on my pre production device, games seem to be working so far I have tried. Great work Flomojo!

Sweet! I'm happy it works for you, too.

I uploaded what I thought would be an "update" (some files renamed), but it didn't load so I pulled it back again, hence the reset download count.

There are probably lots of homebrews that still need to be added/tested. Note that the FB unit will display things in the order in which you added them, so rewriting the whole card is probably best when you want to update your ROMs.

"That catchy opening theme tune on the arcade version? It's not an original composition. It's a Japanese song called Inu No Omawarisan (The Dog Policeman), and was originally aimed at kids. It's not the only theme borrowed from elsewhere – during gameplay you'll also hear the signature songs from Japanese anime series Hana no Ko Lunlun and Araiguma Rascal. Perhaps Konami couldn't find a decent composer during development?"

http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/feature/a796330/10-things-you-didnt-know-about-frogger/

Probably so. We discussed this at some length when trying to guess what would be added. Parker Bros Frogger and Frogger II work when placed on the flash card. Starpath "Official" Frogger does not work on this unit.

We've discussed this in the other thread. It's because Konami doesn't have the audio rights, so they requested a new non-music version be made. This is a new port by AtGames specific to the Flashback hardware. It's just like Space Invaders on the console Flashback in that regard.

• Like 1

It's just like Space Invaders on the console Flashback in that regard.

Speaking of which, "arcade" Space Invaders is on the console Atari but not on the portable, though it did appear on thevnaguy's review unit. Do you suppose that could run on the portable if the files were loaded on SD, or would it only work as a built-in?

Speaking of which, "arcade" Space Invaders is on the console Atari but not on the portable, though it did appear on thevnaguy's review unit. Do you suppose that could run on the portable if the files were loaded on SD, or would it only work as a built-in?

I suppose in theory, but I'm pretty sure the SD card interpreter is only looking for Atari 2600 BINs, so I'm not sure it would know what to do with the file even if it's the same hardware class. And yes, the pre-production hardware has a different list from the final.

• Like 1

I suppose in theory, but I'm pretty sure the SD card interpreter is only looking for Atari 2600 BINs, so I'm not sure it would know what to do with the file even if it's the same hardware class. And yes, the pre-production hardware has a different list from the final.

Made a new vid showing some games on the SD card running and also explaining the unit I have is a preproduction one and the game list is different from the final release version. I also mention people to go to your site Armchairarcade.com as well for the official list and tips on naming files on the SD card :) This little unit is so awesome Bill! I am really enjoying it, cant wait to get my final production one later this month!

• Like 1

Well, acccording to a review for the Genesis portable I read on amazon, the Genesis portable has problems with SDHC cards and SD cards are recomended. So SD cards only got up to 2 GB in size so you need something at that size or less. Also, in the Genesis portables, if you add the wrong characters it will add a space to the name. I think if you add a . then it cuts off the file name after that point. I guess cause it thinks that is the extension. I can't believe they are using the same ancient sd card reading menu. I want a closeup of the console taken. I wanna see what buttons do what.

We've discussed this in the other thread. It's because Konami doesn't have the audio rights, so they requested a new non-music version be made. This is a new port by AtGames specific to the Flashback hardware. It's just like Space Invaders on the console Flashback in that regard.

Both of you are correct. At first atGames tried to have other music made.

They asked for someone to do new music because they were not allowed to use the opening tune - and apparently others.

I said they needed a composer, not someone who can program 2600 music.

Seems they did not find a composer.

Both of you are correct. At first atGames tried to have other music made.

They asked for someone to do new music because they were not allowed to use the opening tune - and apparently others.

I said they needed a composer, not someone who can program 2600 music.

Seems they did not find a composer.

Yes, I was there. ;-) After the misunderstanding with the programmer was figured out, there was obviously no further movement on getting music made.

I started a compatibility list. If you have one of these units, please contribute!!

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/258970-atari-flashback-portable-compatibility-list/

NIce! I'll contribute when my final unit comes. Based on what you have on the list already, I can see at least one fix that I had suggested was implemented, and that was for Galaxian. On the pre-production units your shots couldn't kill the enemies. Sadly, based on your list, Berzerk still was not fixed and Cosmic Ark still has the glitchy display, etc.

Yowtch -- I'll check Galaxian more closely. It looks like those are the kinds of errors we will see most often, and it will require familiarity with the original games to detect whether games work properly or not. thenvaguy noticed that while Freeway seemed fine, the chicken could never die. Sounds like Galaxian might have a similar collision detection issue.

NIce! I'll contribute when my final unit comes. Based on what you have on the list already, I can see at least one fix that I had suggested was implemented, and that was for Galaxian. On the pre-production units your shots couldn't kill the enemies. Sadly, based on your list, Berzerk still was not fixed and Cosmic Ark still has the glitchy display, etc.

still cool though Bill! I have been updating the list this afternoon, have to take a break, my eyes are bugging out playing this portable :P

• Like 2

I am glad to see a modern company giving the 2600 attention. I am not big on AtGames in general though. I have a Atari Flashback 2 (by Curt Vendel /Legacy Engineering), the only one but I have none of the rest because from 3 onward they are atgames product and I have no interest personally. To play mobile versions of 2600 titles I prefer to use my JXD s7800b, or even my GPD Q88+ with an atari emulator. I like this much better as I have the option of pretty much ANY 2600 game that has a ROM available but even more important to me especially since my eyes are getting worse is the nice, bright 7" IPS LCD[/size]! That is my main problem with so many of these dedicated handhelds for gaming using 5" or even smaller screens. so for all my 8-16bit and Pre-NES gaming I prefer this unit, there are smaller / cheaper options as well but to me an Android device with emulators and built in controls beats any of these AtGames handhelds etc. You might not get the "official" licensed branding but really companies like Atari are nothing more than a license anyway. I will take the bigger screen and option to play entire libraries any day! Maybe I will do a counter video "Why I've no interest in Atgames 2600 Portable! biggrin.png !" Here are stock pictures of the JXD s7800b as an example. Now I know some will say "But Rob that is hardley as portable!" I suppose but I really don't game "on the go" and really is anyone REALLY using these on the go? Even if I wanted to I got no problem carrying around these devices wink.png I'd rather spare my eyes the eyestrain.

post-10336-0-87911800-1479078724_thumb.jpg

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
  • Like 3

I am glad to see a modern company giving the 2600 attention. I am not big on AtGames in general though. I have a Atari Flashback 2 (by Curt Vendel /Legacy Engineering), the only one but I have none of the rest because from 3 onward they are atgames product and I have no interest personally. To play mobile versions of 2600 titles I prefer to use my JXD s7800b, or even my GPD Q88+ with an atari emulator. I like this much better as I have the option of pretty much ANY 2600 game that has a ROM available but even more important to me especially since my eyes are getting worse is the nice, bright 7" IPS LCD[/size]! That is my main problem with so many of these dedicated handhelds for gaming using 5" or even smaller screens. so for all my 8-16bit and Pre-NES gaming I prefer this unit, there are smaller / cheaper options as well but to me an Android device with emulators and built in controls beats any of these AtGames handhelds etc. You might not get the "official" licensed branding but really companies like Atari are nothing more than a license anyway. I will take the bigger screen and option to play entire libraries any day! Maybe I will do a counter video "Why I've no interest in Atgames 2600 Portable! biggrin.png !" Here are stock pictures of the JXD s7800b as an example. Now I know some will say "But Rob that is hardley as portable!" I suppose but I really don't game "on the go" and really is anyone REALLY using these on the go? Even if I wanted to I got no problem carrying around these devices wink.png I'd rather spare my eyes the eyestrain.

attachicon.gif??????.jpg

So true, I myself have a Hacked PSP with 2600, intellivision, colecovison and other emulators on it I use quite often while traveling. I am a nut for little gadgets like this :P even though there is always better options to nearly everything.

• Like 2

So true, I myself have a Hacked PSP with 2600, intellivision, colecovison and other emulators on it I use quite often while traveling. I am a nut for little gadgets like this :P even though there is always better options to nearly everything.

Oh yeah me too, I have so many gadgets but I never thought the time would come where my eyes were failing (OK I DID but not this soon) so as much as I love my Dingoo, GP32 Wiz, GP32 Canoo and other handhelds the small 5' screens are becoming useless to me so now I turn to this device out of necessity.

• Like 2

Oh yeah me too, I have so many gadgets but I never thought the time would come where my eyes were failing (OK I DID but not this soon) so as much as I love my Dingoo, GP32 Wiz, GP32 Canoo and other handhelds the small 5' screens are becoming useless to me so now I turn to this device out of necessity.

I hear ya, Willie! is past his "best by" date :P You should do a counter video, it is always good to see both sides plus I would not mind hearing your thoughts on that JXD device, I had been looking at those.

• Like 2

Whoops. You're right -- you can shoot the attacking bugs when they swoop down, but not the dudes waiting in formation. I changed the list from "perfect" to "flawed," since like Freeway, it sorta works but not really.

Of course other handhelds can do this better, but this one is cheap enough to be in reach of anyone who is interested, simple enough to be plug and play, and official so piracy isn't needed to have a good time.

Having recently dealt with a dip$hit eBay buyer who didn't know how to set up a GCW Zero, I can see the appeal of neat & easy.

I like to support companies that do what I consider to be the "right thing" by adding something new -- in this case, it's supporting SD media. Atari deserves my fifty bucks for allowing this to go out with its name on it.

Whoops. You're right -- you can shoot the attacking bugs when they swoop down, but not the dudes waiting in formation. I changed the list from "perfect" to "flawed," since like Freeway, it sorta works but not really.

Of course other handhelds can do this better, but this one is cheap enough to be in reach of anyone who is interested, simple enough to be plug and play, and official so piracy isn't needed to have a good time.

Having recently dealt with a dip$hit eBay buyer who didn't know how to set up a GCW Zero, I can see the appeal of neat & easy.

I like to support companies that do what I consider to be the "right thing" by adding something new -- in this case, it's supporting SD media. Atari deserves my fifty bucks for allowing this to go out with its name on it.

I see what you are saying but if you buy the official Android emulator and load up ROMs from SD card, the SAME you could load from the SD card in the Atgames unit I don't see how it is any more or less as legal or the "right thing" ;) It may be more ready to go out of the box but downloading and installing a Android 2600 emulator is pretty trivial these day.

I don't care what you do with ROMs. I pirate them all the time, ahoy me hearty, avast Jim lad.

I mean ATARI was doing the right thing by adding the SD card slot feature. Such behavior should be encouraged.

My dream is for someone to just buy them out and release everything to the public domain, where it already effectively lives.

• Like 6