IGNORED

Atari Flashback Portable!

No. We are not. It is being synthesized from the ground up. All in the digital domain. Never enters the analog work. The 0's and 1's remain that way till they are converted into analog light at the display.

Except you're not We're talking about using the original unmodified items that are on the console. Not introducing modifications, remember?

I wonder what technology they had in mind? Whatever it was, the system(s) they designed will need adapters and converters to make it work. I wonder where they got their clairvoyant powers from?

Yea. Sometimes those converters are buklt into the new technology. Like composite inputs in an LCD monitor... :D Edited by walterg74

Pretty common to see threads go "off topic" in forums. In the meantime, maybe we could adopt a discipline where when we do go off topic, could just hide it like this:

Except when I play on LCD I play with a system that is designed to match matrix display's characteristics.

Exactly... video output finally looks great, but still a shame about lag though. Hoping the television and gaming industries will sort all this out before too long.

• Like 2

Keatah and Walterg74 are you both ignorant, illiterate or just plain stupid!

Your conversations on CRT and Video do not belong in this thread.

Why don't you just PM each other?

There are other threads for what you are talking about. I know I started one. Go there.

THIS IS ABOUT ATARI FLASHBACK PORTABLE.

Time for a Moderator to remove all the irrelavent comments and for everyone to STAY ON TOPIC!

• Like 4

There are other threads for what you are talking about. I know I started one. Go there.

Time for a Moderator to remove all the irrelavent comments and for everyone to STAY ON TOPIC!

Sure, as long as they also give you a warning for personal attacks and insults towards other members.

• Like 2

Found an interesting auction on good 'ol eBay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CUSTOM-590-GAMES-Atari-Flashback-Portable-Handheld-Vintage-Classic-2600-ARCADE-/262750669177?hash=item3d2d290979:g:HKUAAOSwnKFYRkkz

I like the strange statement about it being brand new and not having ever been owned by anyone... except maybe the person who opened the sealed box, filled an SD card with the ROMs from here at this site, and then listed it for sale on eBay.

Edited by Retro-Z
  • Like 4

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CUSTOM-590-GAMES-Atari-Flashback-Portable-Handheld-Vintage-Classic-2600-ARCADE-/262750669177?hash=item3d2d290979:g:HKUAAOSwnKFYRkkz

I like the strange statement about it being brand new and not having ever been owned by anyone... except maybe the person who opened the sealed box, filled an SD card with the ROMs from here at this site, and then listed it for sale on eBay.

Noobs that don't know where to stick the SD cart can bid on this. I'm out...

• Like 2

I'll pay attention to a mod, but not you.

Pretty common to see threads go "off topic" in forums. In the meantime, maybe we could adopt a discipline where when we do go off topic, could just hide it like this:

Exactly... video output finally looks great, but still a shame about lag though. Hoping the television and gaming industries will sort all this out before too long.

Spoilers to hide off-topic? Brilliant!

I believe the issue of classic consoles on new displays is an ongoing problem. It is likely to be debated and discussed in many threads till either a guide is written or this transition phase we're in passes. It's something that's cropped up several times in several threads already. The number of people trying to play old consoles on new displays is reaching a peak in the bell curve.

And it isn't so much about CRT vs LCD, but rather getting the right interfaces matched. And that is why portable devices and the mini-consoles are more and more likely to output HDMI only, because that's what the buying public has now and will continue to have access to in the foreseeable future.

More and more of these portable devices and mini-consoles will be outputting digital only soon enough, if not already. And that's a good thing.

And while I do not have a schematic of the portable in front of me, I believe it to be an example staying entirely digital. No analog in there except for the DAC for the speaker and the DACs for twisting of the crystals.

One thing I wish for is easily replaced batteries. Lithium has a set number of time/cycles. A set and very well known depletion rate. It does not change. And overall I wonder what the lifespan of this portable will be. The display? The plastics? The rubber in the elastomerics?

• Like 1

I wonder how high it will go? 70? 100? That's just crazy. But in defense of the seller, there are many people that don't mind paying an extra $50 or so to have something pre-configured for them. I know that might not be the case here, because noob.

I know in the past there was a way to contact individual bidders. There isn't now, is there?

Anyways, the text from the auction:

"Here is a very interesting Item up for bid. A hand held portable Atari flashback unit with 590 games customized for it...all games are built right in via the included SD Card and they play great! Many rare and home brew titles can also be played here!!!

Please see photos for exact menu list on what games are included. Normally these units only have 60 games when they are sold, but this one has 590!! We only have 1 unit available. This unit is brand NEW and has never been owned by anyone. Fresh out the box and ready to play. Super fun, Responsive controls,...You'll NEVER get bored with this one!

Packing & Shipping to the lower 48 United States is $9.99. We accept paypal. Please pay within 24 hours of auction closing. SERIOUS bidders only please! Thank you."

Sorry I did not mean to attack either of you but I wanted to get back on topic and you ignored posts about being off topic and continued to post about CRTs and video in this thread.

Its not helping anyone coming to this thread to have to sort through a bunch of irrelevant posts.

Yes, my comments need to be deleted also as it is not FBP related.

I hope you would respect the users of this thread and not wait for a Moderator to come in and clean up.

The post obviously got your attention and I see we are now back on topic.

Respectfully - because topics naturally drift off the subject matter from time to time. Sometimes the drift sparks ideas and other conversation. They usually go back on topic though.

Ok, I agree

• Like 1

It's the same price at Toys R Us, both online and in stores.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=96047666&prodFindSrc=search&cp=#findItInStore

With something built with the lack of quality of this thing (bad power light on mine, dead pixel on another in the forum, control pad that doesn't always go the direction it should on another guy who posted here...was that you, maybe?), it would be important to me to be able to exchange it in an actual store for a different, possibly better working unit.

I received mine yesterday, and loaded up an old SD card with a few favorite ROMs while waiting for the unit to charge.

I haven't played it much, just a minute or two each with maybe 15 or 20 different games.

Pro:

+ Emulation seems pretty good. I've read some grumblings about the sound, and although it's not perfect, I find it's not bad, especially if you keep the volume relatively low. The cheap little speaker has bad distortion at high volume.

+ I found it very easy to get ROMs loaded into it via SD card. No problems there.

+ I tried some third party games such as Enduro, Donkey Kong, etc. No problems.

Con:

- The D-pad is quite stiff, especially pushing to the right. I think for games that require deliberate throws to the four cardinal directions it works OK. For games that need good diagonal input, such as Missile Command, the control is not good. I am hoping that the D-pad will loosen up with a bit of usage.

- One of the first games I tried was Berzerk, one of my top faves for the 2600. I found that although the game runs and you can move without issue, the fire button would not work!

- Is the monochrome switch not supposed to stay on? I found that if I hold it down, the screen is B&W, but as soon as I release, the Color setting returns. It did this with more than one game.

- One of the first games I tried was Berzerk, one of my top faves for the 2600. I found that although the game runs and you can move without issue, the fire button would not work!

Check out this thread:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/258970-atari-flashback-portable-compatibility-list/

Particularly this post:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/258970-atari-flashback-portable-compatibility-list/?view=findpost&p=3641237

• Like 1