Atari Flashback Portable!

Atgames Plug and play handheld

1182 replies to this topic

#1176 GoldLeader ONLINE  

GoldLeader

Stargunner

• 1,084 posts

Posted Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:46 PM

For people who like physical games and buy a fair number of them, I would think Amazon's 20% off all new releases would be irresistible -- and the killing stroke for GameStop.

Poor Gamestop!

Selling all those Retro Classic PS3 games from so far back in the day....

I remember when I bought Twisted Metal for PS3 there brand new...I'm thinking I paid $60 for it, but when I found out you couldn't even control the car with the D-Pad (as it used the analog stick for (lack of) control)),  I thought the game sucked...Now I couldn't get a refund of course, but thankfully Gamestop offered me $6 in credit!

Man I'll miss them!

#1177 DaveD OFFLINE  

DaveD

Moonsweeper

• 408 posts

Posted Thu May 4, 2017 5:30 PM

Yeah. Just looking at it you know it's cheap. I'd be okay with that as long as it worked. 

I just wish it died BEFORE I bought the SD card, 12' AV cable, HDMI cable, and AV/HDMI converter to hook it up to the TV. Totally disappointed. 

Wanted to follow-up on this. I went back to give it another shot and carefully document exactly what was going wrong so I could share it with ATGames when I realized it was working again. Then again 10 minutes later it was cutting out again. So I unhooked everything and tried testing all the cables with other components. I think I've actually traced the trouble to the AV/HDMI converter. It seems very inconsistent. The screen blacking out is normal for the Flashback Portable when the AV is connected. If the converter is acting flaky, the TV doesn't get a signal and goes dark with a "no signal" error. It apparently doesn't scan for a signal after that even if one eventually is present unless I reset the TV input source. Bottom line is I think it's my maze of cables behaving strangely, not the Flashback.

Just wanted to set the record straight and say the Flashback seems to be performing as advertised. 

#1178 atarifan88 OFFLINE  

atarifan88

Moonsweeper

• 468 posts

Posted Fri May 5, 2017 5:01 AM

Has anyone ordered the AV cable directly from AT Games or found one elsewhere that's compatible?  If you bought one from AT Games, how long did it take for them to receive your order, as past experience with them was bad for me.  If you found a compatible one, especially on Amazon, could you please share the link on here?  Thanks!

Regarding Gamestop, all I will say is I won't miss them.  The world needs more retrogaming stores!  :cool:

#1179 Flojomojo OFFLINE  

Flojomojo

Swingin' Space Reporter!

• 8,088 posts
  • Let's Dance!

Posted Fri May 5, 2017 5:11 AM

Has anyone ordered the AV cable directly from AT Games or found one elsewhere that's compatible?  If you bought one from AT Games, how long did it take for them to receive your order, as past experience with them was bad for me.  If you found a compatible one, especially on Amazon, could you please share the link on here?  Thanks!

Regarding Gamestop, all I will say is I won't miss them.  The world needs more retrogaming stores!  :cool:

The compatibility list/FAQ thread has some discussion about that. It's a fairly standard cable and you shouldn't have to overpay.

I got my Atari Flashback from AtGames, they shipped on time but nothing special or free.

#1180 Flojomojo OFFLINE  

Flojomojo

Swingin' Space Reporter!

• 8,088 posts
  • Let's Dance!

Posted Fri May 5, 2017 5:15 AM

Found a link in there
SF Cable, 12 feet 3.5mm Stereo Male to Two RCA Male Splitter Cable https://www.amazon.c...i_R6fdzbM1BDXG5

#1181 GoldLeader ONLINE  

GoldLeader

Stargunner

• 1,084 posts

Posted Fri May 5, 2017 11:55 AM

Exactly what I was thinking AtariFan88!

To me, GameStop had their day in the sun when I was into modern games.   Now they seem like a dinosaur!   ***Surely there's some weird irony at play here that I like Retro things and I call the modern guys dinosaurs LOL***

I mean back when there was Babbage's, or Electronics Boutique, or GameStop, or whatever they were called this week, I went in there pretty often to buy PS1/PS2 games and they were fine and dandy, if a little corporate, but they sold games in the mall.

On the other hand, whenever I'd drive to Denver to check out BUY BACK GAMES, My mind would be thoroughly blown!   Rather than just trying to sell me the latest thing,  they had sections for almost Every system throughout time!...I'd see a whole section of Atari, Turbografx, and SNES games etc...All the way up to the latest and greatest...Plus exotic systems I'd never even seen before in other stores.   Plus imports.  Yessir, a difference of night and day!

#1182 Troy H. Cheek OFFLINE  

Troy H. Cheek

Combat Commando

• 9 posts

Posted Tue May 23, 2017 2:35 PM

Found a link in there
SF Cable, 12 feet 3.5mm Stereo Male to Two RCA Male Splitter Cable https://www.amazon.c...i_R6fdzbM1BDXG5

I tried this and two other cables from Amazon.  This cable doesn't seem to go all the way into the Portable's jack, and none of them cut off the built-in video and audio.   I'm about to give up until the official cable is back in stock.

That said, I find that I don't care for the built-in display (old eyes) or controller.  I think I bought it just because of the SD card support.  Has anyone else considered transplanting a Portable's guts into a Flashback's case?

#1183 atarifan88 OFFLINE  

atarifan88

Moonsweeper

• 468 posts

Posted Wed May 24, 2017 5:44 AM

I tried this and two other cables from Amazon.  This cable doesn't seem to go all the way into the Portable's jack, and none of them cut off the built-in video and audio.   I'm about to give up until the official cable is back in stock.

That said, I find that I don't care for the built-in display (old eyes) or controller.  I think I bought it just because of the SD card support.  Has anyone else considered transplanting a Portable's guts into a Flashback's case?

I bought the same cable and it works fine on my portable.  Transplanting a portable into a flashback is an interesting idea.  I never even thought about it until you brought it up.  For those that don't feel comfortable with the raspberry pi, this might be a nice alternative, although I would miss the HD graphics you get from a pi.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Atgames, Plug and play, handheld

1 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users