IGNORED

Atari Flashback Portable!

They should be making the screen LARGER not smaller SMH.

What, they could save an extra $.50 by buying smaller screens? The first portable's screen was too small.

Yes, that's what I think too!

I have V1, but V2 does not offer enough extras to entice me. I'd much more likely spring for it if the screen was maybe at least twice as big, even if the price was higher.

Don't think they could do that without designing a new case though, and I'm sure they don't want to do that unless they have to.

They are not messed up. The sound emulation is the same as always. Some sounds play in a lower register, but there's no real issue beyond that. If they didn't bother you before, they won't bother you now. With that said, there will be a few tweaks to the HD console from the reviewer units.

Same as always seems to be the mission statement of the AFP 2017 this time around. With the exception of the smaller screen, I guess that is different. :/

I had about written off the new unit, but the video review changed my mind to maybe pick one up. Just feel a lot of what was asked for (Joystick port for one player or a second player option, most of the advice given by programmers on the emulation and how to improve it, and so) was either ignored or not passed on to the programmers.

So anyway currently a maybe on this newer model. A HD version would be interesting to play with and would be a worthwhile change to pick up this unit.

• Like 1

Just feel a lot of what was asked for (Joystick port for one player or a second player option, most of the advice given by programmers on the emulation and how to improve it, and so) was either ignored or not passed on to the programmers.

Everyone at AtGames is aware of fan desires. Sometimes it's not practical to implement them, particularly with the short release cycles. We'll see how the 2018 hardware stacks up. I'm also on board with bigger screens, better compatibility, etc.

• Like 2

They are not messed up. The sound emulation is the same as always.

You say it is not messed up, then proceed to describe how it is.

Some sounds play in a lower register, but there's no real issue beyond that.

Which is it?

If they didn't bother you before, they won't bother you now.

People were bothered. Atari may be the lesser of two evils compared to Genesis, but you said last year the HD consoles released this year would fix existing issues, now you say they are the same old same old.

With that said, there will be a few tweaks to the HD console from the reviewer units.

Nice they have fixed some issues, but the reviewer units do not reflect this so damage has already been done.

I do plan on picking up the Activision Gold. Hopefully it's not unobtainium or retailer exclusive.

You say it is not messed up, then proceed to describe how it is.

Which is it?

People were bothered. Atari may be the lesser of two evils compared to Genesis, but you said last year the HD consoles released this year would fix existing issues, now you say they are the same old same old.

Nice they have fixed some issues, but the reviewer units do not reflect this so damage has already been done.

I do plan on picking up the Activision Gold. Hopefully it's not unobtainium or retailer exclusive.

The sound is not messed up on the Atari SD or HD in the same way that it is on the Sega SD stuff. It sounds slightly different from an original console, but then you can never really be exact.

Yes, the HD units fixed the issues with the SD units.

Yes, of course the damage has been done. Hopefully when the next round of reviewer and pre-order units get out there, the feeling will start to change, but the reality is the reputation was already damaged with core gamers and enthusiasts. At least the retail units will work exactly how they're supposed to and maybe that will start to undo some of the damage.

The Activision HD will have the same general availability in the usual places.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

My flashback portable just stopped reading my SD Card. I select SD card it says reading and after a few seconds it goes back to the in game menu.

Did you change anything on the card? My spouse says never to hot-swap cards even though they are made to do so... so I don't and have not killed a single card since then.

I have three different cards (different game types on them), if you have another card, maybe you could check with it and make sure it isn't the Atari Portable itself. We don't have any issues with ours that so many people had, and I know he tried several types of cards in it, which all worked, when he got it.

MrBlacKCat

depending on the robustness of the fat32 driver, some devices may not handle file fragmentation well, but that shouldn't be an ussue with atari roms equal too or smaller than the sector size. Windows won't let you defrag flash media because it isn't necessary normally but with some poorer drivers in devices it can make a difference.

Also there's a wonderful tool called filesort for use with flash carts which cannot autoarrange the filenames...

I got one of AFP's (original version, not this year's one) and I noticed that when I run left in Pitfall! every now and then it 'freezes' the character (not the whole game, just Harry) for a split second, which basically makes it unplayable if you want to attempt the high score, as that will also happen when you trying to avoid the log, or jump over something.

Is that emulation problem and happens to everyone, or is it just my unit and some directional pad loose contact?

I don't really know what other game I can test it with, as i don't know the game where you can run left for 5-6 seconds continuously.

edit: it's quite funny actually, as I only really play Pitfall!, Pitfall 2 and homebrews. One has the above issue, second doesn't work at all as it's using bankswitching or some other incompatible trickery and homebrews will be hit and miss. Not happy overall, which is a shame as I love the concept, and always dreamt of having portable Atari :(

Edited by mika