Atari Flashback Portable!

Atgames Plug and play handheld

1444 replies to this topic

#1426 fireslayer26 OFFLINE  

fireslayer26

Combat Commando

• 6 posts

Posted Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:55 AM

First, remove the battery compartment screw and lid and then the battery. Then remove the four screws holding the back of the case on. Then remove the three screws holding the PCB on. And slightly Flex the case to get the audio jack out and then you can lift out the PCB. Then take the d-pad rubber backing and take the d-pad out and put the new d-pad in. Reseat the rubber piece and make sure all other buttons and rubber pieces are seated in their original positions and then reverse the disassembly directions to reassemble.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20180615_114017.jpg
  • 20180615_114039.jpg
  • 20180615_114050.jpg
  • 20180615_114132.jpg
  • 20180615_114159.jpg
  • 20180615_114214.jpg
  • 20180615_114229.jpg
  • 20180615_114244.jpg

Edited by fireslayer26, Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:56 AM.

#1427 fireslayer26 OFFLINE  

fireslayer26

Combat Commando

• 6 posts

Posted Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:16 AM

Video

Attached Files

#1428 maxdrive OFFLINE  

maxdrive

Chopper Commander

• 210 posts

Posted Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:50 PM

Quick question will the star path games play off the sd card

#1429 Arenafoot OFFLINE  

Arenafoot

Stargunner

• 1,375 posts
  • videogamestores.net

Posted Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:08 AM

Quick question will the star path games play off the sd card

no

#1430 UHATEIT OFFLINE  

UHATEIT

Dragonstomper

• 629 posts

Posted Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:58 PM

Hopping in here for a quick question as well. This flashback will NOT allow you to also load and play Lynx games right? That was kind of my hope if i get one of these!

#1431 Bill Loguidice OFFLINE  

Bill Loguidice

Quadrunner

• 7,270 posts
  • Armchair Arcade Managing Director

Posted Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:06 PM

Hopping in here for a quick question as well. This flashback will NOT allow you to also load and play Lynx games right? That was kind of my hope if i get one of these!

No, no Lynx emulator in there. I'm afraid there's not enough of a market to justify the effort.

#1432 revhappy OFFLINE  

revhappy

Combat Commando

• 9 posts

Posted Mon Oct 8, 2018 10:43 AM

Are there any plans to bring a new Atari Portable with HDMI, rewind and save features that the Atari Flashback 9 has?

#1433 Bill Loguidice OFFLINE  

Bill Loguidice

Quadrunner

• 7,270 posts

Posted Mon Oct 8, 2018 10:46 AM

Are there any plans to bring a new Atari Portable with HDMI, rewind and save features that the Atari Flashback 9 has?

It will have extended features, but no HDMI this year (not sure about next year yet).

#1434 revhappy OFFLINE  

revhappy

Combat Commando

• 9 posts

Posted Mon Oct 8, 2018 10:57 AM

It will have extended features, but no HD

It would definitely be nice to have all those features and having the option of using a Dpad (portable or console).

#1435 OldSchoolRetroGamer OFFLINE  

OldSchoolRetroGamer

Quadrunner

• 5,567 posts
  • aka MaximumRD !

Posted Mon Oct 8, 2018 5:42 PM

why would you even think that? That would have been mentioned as a feature for sure.  :roll:

#1436 thetick1 OFFLINE  

thetick1

Dragonstomper

• 827 posts

Posted Mon Oct 8, 2018 5:53 PM

why would you even think that? That would have been mentioned as a feature for sure.  :roll:

Clearly just a clueless newbie or a troll. That is like asking ... why doesn't my Nintendo NES Flashback play Gamecube games.

#1437 Keatah ONLINE  

Keatah

Missile Commander

• 22,070 posts

Posted Mon Oct 8, 2018 6:02 PM

Or simply someone that doesn't know all the details of all the systems. Troll? Not likely.

#1438 Arenafoot OFFLINE  

Arenafoot

Stargunner

• 1,375 posts
  • videogamestores.net

Posted Mon Oct 8, 2018 10:20 PM

It will have extended features, but no HDMI this year (not sure about next year yet).

If you have an extra to send me as a "review model" I can start working on an updated AFP ROM pack!  ;-)

#1439 Bill Loguidice OFFLINE  

Bill Loguidice

Quadrunner

• 7,270 posts

Posted Tue Oct 9, 2018 11:06 AM

If you have an extra to send me as a "review model" I can start working on an updated AFP ROM pack!  ;-)

I would love to, but we're not doing review models for this year's AFP. The emulation engine is the same, so the same ROM pack should work just fine. We just added additional functionality like rewind, save states, etc.

#1440 Arenafoot OFFLINE  

Arenafoot

Stargunner

• 1,375 posts
  • videogamestores.net

Posted Tue Oct 9, 2018 1:13 PM

I would love to, but we're not doing review models for this year's AFP. The emulation engine is the same, so the same ROM pack should work just fine. We just added additional functionality like rewind, save states, etc.

maybe next year...... I'll hit you up then ;-)

#1441 tiktok4321 OFFLINE  

tiktok4321

Space Invader

• 24 posts

Posted Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:08 AM

Clearly just a clueless newbie or a troll. That is like asking ... why doesn't my Nintendo NES Flashback play Gamecube games.

Maybe so.  I'd be interested in Lynx functionality.  We're talking about a licensed Atari brand portable game unit.  Why not throw out the desire?  I don't have a clue about the programming language or how limited the hardware is to be able to accommodate.  A Lynx resurgence would be way WAY awesome.

Fireslayer26: Are you still offering DPAD replacements? Mine doesn't like to roll from left to up, etc. I have to let go and re-press in the direction I want to go. Does your new one help this?

#1442 Bill Loguidice OFFLINE  

Bill Loguidice

Quadrunner

• 7,270 posts

Posted Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:34 AM

Maybe so.  I'd be interested in Lynx functionality.  We're talking about a licensed Atari brand portable game unit.  Why not throw out the desire?  I don't have a clue about the programming language or how limited the hardware is to be able to accommodate.  A Lynx resurgence would be way WAY awesome.

It's not going to happen from AtGames or any other mainstream company, unfortunately. The Lynx is poorly remembered and Atari themselves has few of the original games (with few well-known titles) still in their possession. The best chance is for us to move to a future handheld that supports something like Stella and firmware updates and can have someone else make additional cores. On the plus side, for dedicated Lynx fans, getting a screen-modded Lynx with a flash cartridge is a really fantastic option. 

#1443 tiktok4321 OFFLINE  

tiktok4321

Space Invader

• 24 posts

Posted Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:42 AM

It's not going to happen from AtGames or any other mainstream company, unfortunately. The Lynx is poorly remembered and Atari themselves has few of the original games (with few well-known titles) still in their possession. The best chance is for us to move to a future handheld that supports something like Stella and firmware updates and can have someone else make additional cores. On the plus side, for dedicated Lynx fans, getting a screen-modded Lynx with a flash cartridge is a really fantastic option.

It's time for a comeback! lol

I was wondering whether or not to do a Raspberry Pii emulator in a Lynx case, but now I'm straying far... I have considered a 2nd Lynx I system that I can hack the new LED screen on. It actually seems easier than backlighting an original Gameboy.

Meanwhile, I look forward to an improved FBP! Oh, can you suggest that they include a wrist strip that attaches to the left hand side? Just sayin'... The provisions are there... :D

Edited by tiktok4321, Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:03 PM.

#1444 tiktok4321 OFFLINE  

tiktok4321

Space Invader

• 24 posts

Posted Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:01 PM

Is there any way to buff scratches off the plastic screen lens?

#1445 CecilMcW00t OFFLINE  

CecilMcW00t

Combat Commando

• 2 posts

Posted Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:28 PM

Bill, would it be feasible to possibly add high score saving support via firmware update for Frogger? It doesn't let me save the state in that game. I really enjoy that version of the game and it would be awesome to retain my high scores.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Atgames, Plug and play, handheld

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users