IGNORED

List of TI Cartridges

atrax27407

I contacted TI back when I started Arkanoid to see if it would be possible to get a PHM number issued for my planned cartridge. No one in legal had any clue about what I was speaking, even after a lengthy explanation, and no one outside of legal with whom they consulted (probably the janitor's dog, daughter, son in-law, and proctologist) had any idea.

• Like 3

I contacted TI back when I started Arkanoid to see if it would be possible to get a PHM number issued for my planned cartridge. No one in legal had any clue about what I was speaking, even after a lengthy explanation, and no one outside of legal with whom they consulted (probably the janitor's dog, daughter, son in-law, and proctologist) had any idea.

So I guess sending in the free speech synthesizer offer won't do me any good then?

Does anyone know what "PHM" stands for or why they started the cart # series at 3000? Not that it matters, just a trivia hound

Edited by PeBo

So I guess sending in the free speech synthesizer offer won't do me any good then?

Does anyone know what "PHM" stands for or why they started the cart # series at 3000? Not that it matters, just a trivia hound

I would love to see TI's response to such an action :)

I often wonder about why some number series starts where they do. My guess is, in most cases, the numbering is entirely arbitrary. Like the "Grunt Master 6000": less features than the "Grunt Master 9000," but it is software-upgradeable.

• Like 1

Personal Homecomputer Assessoire ?

Personal Homecomputer Console ?

Personal Homecomputer Disk ?

Personal Homecomputer Library ?

Personal Homecomputer Module ?

Personal Homecomputer Periphals ?

Personal Homecomputer Tape ?

Think those are all probably correct, and what I had assumed (although knowing this was the 80's, Greg has a good point with "Proprietary" which certainly is what dominated the industry's business model back then (still does with Apple)

I always had PHA down as Audio/Video rather than accessories though. but that's probably because the only things I've seen it applied to are monitors and the external video adapter.

I think I had a GruntMaster 6000!! it sliced, it diced and even made Julienne fries! It was mine for just 12 easy payment's of $29.95 (and came with a full set of Ginsu 2000 steak knives). Operators were standing by to take my call

• Like 2

Choplifter was reviewed for the TI in one of the "Best TI-99/4A Computer Software Books" by Brian Starfire. The documentation (manual) was also given a rating interestingly enough.

Found the review of Choplifter for the TI in Brian Starfire's 1984 book, "The Best Texas Instruments Software":

Description: rescue game Sold by: Texas Instruments P.O. Box 53 Lubbock, TX 79408 800/858-4075 Requirements: Joystick op- tional Price and format: cartridge Protected: cartridge Warranty: 90 days User group rating: 9 Grapiiics and sound: 10Piayability: 9 Difficulty: expert Documentation: 9 Key: User group rating: Average of user group ratings Graphics and sound: Quality and aesthetics of eacli Piayability: How entertaining or interesting the game is Difficulty: l-low much skill is re- quired to enjoy the game Documentation: Quality of printed instructions Excellent: 8-10; Gcxxl: 5-7; Poor: under 5 CHOPLIFTER!Your mission in Choplifter! is to fly a helicopter past enemy lines to rescue 64 hostages. The prisoners are in four bar- racks surrounded by enemy tanks. Carrying as many pas- sengers as possible, you risk unfriendly fire to return them to safety. Choplifter! features some of the most detailed action graphics of any cartridge for the TI-99/4A. Your chopper can fly up, down, forward, and backward, controlled by the joystick. As you land, the pris- oners run out to meet you on the screen. They wave franti- cally and scramble to board the craft. The chopper blades rotate, and if you're hit by en- emy fire, you'll see the helicop- ter disintegrate in a falling ball of flames. 
  • Like 2

With licences being what they were in the 80's (heck, and still are today), I wouldn't be surprised to find that 20th Century Fox pulled a "look and feel" lawsuit threat against TI and Brøderbund because of the similarities with the rescue sequence in M*A*S*H* and the main gameplay in choplifter. I know M*A*S*H* was also available on the Atari 2600 and 8 bit, and had a prototype for the Colecovision, but it was never a popular title for the Atari, so if 20th Century Fox wanted to maximize profits on the TI release, they could have strong-armed TI against allowing a close competitor.

I might be way off on this, but it does sound like how the software industry worked in the early 80's, and TI's aggressive licensing kept many developers away from our machine, (including Brødebund after this.)

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Forgive me for resurrecting an old topic, but I know that lots of the TI cartridges were released in both black and beige cases (and with differing labels). Yet I've never seen a TI Invaders cartridge in anything but a black case. Was it ever released in beige? Older games were released in both colors, so I'd think this one would have been also. Does anyone know? Thanks!

Forgive me for resurrecting an old topic, but I know that lots of the TI cartridges were released in both black and beige cases (and with differing labels). Yet I've never seen a TI Invaders cartridge in anything but a black case. Was it ever released in beige? Older games were released in both colors, so I'd think this one would have been also. Does anyone know? Thanks!

Ask and ye shall receive ;-)

http://videogamehouse.net/theattackcarts.html

Do we know who worked on Choplifter for the TI? I'm assuming Jim or Bryan have probably already tried contacting them by now.

I'm still shocked that Tutankham actually got into the wild from someone else other than Bryan. You don't know what's floating around out there!

• 7 months later...

In regards to this: https://www.ninerpedia.org/wiki/Cartridges_with_PHM_number

Specifically this part:
"It does not include later modules released by third parties but it does include software written by third parties and released by TI."

Has a list with those excluded ever been created?

I'm trying to compare the contents of my FinalGrom99 to other bins out there (FlashRom99 bins and such) to see if i am missing any (Yeah, I want them all) and there are a lot of PHM numbers in my GF99 files. I don't know if the list above has them all or not so just wondering if there is another list available with more part numbers?

• Like 1

Tha Schmitzi - these are great - my specific question - I guess let me start with my specific issue; Are there any PHM numbers that you don't have listed on that ninerpedia link in a separate list?

Or maybe PHM numbers only come from TI? I thought maybe there were third party PHM numbers not in the initial list.

Hmm, maybe I do not fully understand.

For the 1st question, I cannot do, as I cannot compare anything (automatically) to other people´s lists.

I can only filter from my own list ( > 4.000 entries) and make a PDF.

Or I do not understand. A separate list ?

For the 2nd, you need a list with PHM-Carts, coming from "TI" only ? (And NO co-productions?)