Photo

Who Else Would Like to See an Open Source Printer Emulator for the Atari?

emulation

57 replies to this topic

#26 DrVenkman OFFLINE  

DrVenkman

River Patroller

• 2,343 posts
  • Back off, man! I'm a scientist.

Posted Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:59 PM

I think, you already did. The PCLINK feature should be in R3. The OSX version, I downloaded from the Github page (your build, I think), clearly states, that it ignores the PCLINK commands.

This indicates, that RespeQt R3 knows of PCLINK.

Well I don't know then; like I said, I don't use PCLINK so I don't know why it does or doesn't work on any specific platforms. I just download and build the code.

Speaking of, here's how I do it. This presumes you have both Qt Creator and OS X/macOS Xcode installed:

1. Download the RespeQt source code and stick it where you want. I use the Desktop
2. Open respeqt.pro in Qt Creator
3. Configure the project in the opening dialogue if this is the first time you've built it; otherwise go to Step 4.
​4. On the Build menu, click Build project "respeqt" 
5. Once the build is complete open a Terminal window and navigate to the Qt directory. In my case it's my home directory, so 
 cd ~/Qt-static
6. Navigate to the directory that contains the deployment tool:
cd 5.5/clang_64/bin/
5. Now you have to know the path to the application bundle you built in step 4. Once you know that, you need that path for the deployment tool. So, run the tool as follows:
./macdeployqt  ~/Desktop/build-respeqt-Desktop_Qt_5_5_0_clang_64bit-Debug/RespeQt.app
6. That'll take a minute or two depending on the speed of your system, but suddenly your 1.7 megabyte app balloons to 25+ megabytes, and voila. You should have a portable app that carries the OS X frameworks with it necessary to use the app on Macs without the Qt libraries installed. 
7. Manually copy every folder which begins with a $ character from the source directory into the application bundle and voila. Done.

I haven't figured out how to deploy the app from within Qt Creator and the documentation sucks, so the Terminal commands are how I do it. Similarly, I don't know enough about Qt or C++ coding to have the OS X branch copy those folders into into the application bundle (step 7 above), but copying them manually works.

Further discussion should probably be in the RespeQt forum. 

#27 TheMontezuma ONLINE  

TheMontezuma

Dragonstomper

• 539 posts

Posted Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:14 AM

I think, you already did. The PCLINK feature should be in R3. The OSX version, I downloaded from the Github page (your build, I think), clearly states, that it ignores the PCLINK commands.

This indicates, that RespeQt R3 knows of PCLINK.

R3 has no support for PCLINK. The PCLINK code is in Github, but it was not yet released.

#28 JoSch OFFLINE  

JoSch

Moonsweeper

• 424 posts

Posted Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:42 AM

Ok, I remember you writing about pull request being accepted for R3. Perhaps, I have missunderstood that. So, the PCLINK code is in some branch?

#29 JoSch OFFLINE  

JoSch

Moonsweeper

• 424 posts

Posted Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:03 PM

7. Manually copy every folder which begins with a $ character from the source directory into the application bundle and voila. Done.

Where in the application bundle should the $ directories go? 

#30 DrVenkman OFFLINE  

DrVenkman

River Patroller

• 2,343 posts

Posted Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:38 PM

Where in the application bundle should the $ directories go? 

RespeQt.app/Contents/MacOS

#31 pusakat OFFLINE  

pusakat

Space Invader

• 26 posts

Posted Wed May 17, 2017 4:49 AM

This might be useful code to have if someone gets around to doing an open source printer emulator. Although it converts ESC/P2 to PDF, it will probably have enough information to clue together for a virtual printer.  https://github.com/RWAP/PrinterToPDF/ 

#32 JoSch OFFLINE  

JoSch

Moonsweeper

• 424 posts

Posted Wed May 17, 2017 5:29 AM

Thanks for the hint, I will look at that for the RespeQt printer emulation.

#33 zzip ONLINE  

zzip

Stargunner

• 1,345 posts

Posted Wed May 17, 2017 7:35 AM

This might be useful code to have if someone gets around to doing an open source printer emulator. Although it converts ESC/P2 to PDF, it will probably have enough information to clue together for a virtual printer.  https://github.com/RWAP/PrinterToPDF/ 

I get a 404 error on that page :(

#34 zzip ONLINE  

zzip

Stargunner

• 1,345 posts

Posted Wed May 17, 2017 7:42 AM

When I read this topic, I thought surely the workhorses Ghostscript or Imagemagick would be able to convert an Epson esc/p stream to a more usable format. I checked and nope! I'm shocked that there is so little open-source software to do this after 30 years.

#35 pusakat OFFLINE  

pusakat

Space Invader

• 26 posts

Posted Wed May 17, 2017 8:43 AM

Trying to find epson2ps or similar. Was in netpbm before, but hard to track using phone. Will try again later when at a terminal.

Sent from my Lenovo A536 using Tapatalk

#36 Madi ONLINE  

Madi

Moonsweeper

• 362 posts

Posted Wed May 17, 2017 11:23 AM

I get a 404 error on that page :(

https://github.com/RWAP/PrinterToPDF/

#37 Starman OFFLINE  

Starman

Chopper Commander

• 183 posts

Posted Wed May 17, 2017 1:36 PM

As someone who's written printer drivers and virtual printers before, I'll chime in.

This isn't tough to do. I wanted to do it myself, but I couldn't find a way to dump printer output either via emulation or hardware. But then I saw that the Atari 800 emulator for the Mac has output-to-PDF anyway, so there was no point.

#38 _The Doctor__ ONLINE  

_The Doctor__

River Patroller

• 2,373 posts

Posted Wed May 17, 2017 1:45 PM

um because windows and linux could use the function... or maybe a stand alone device directly connected to the Atari takes all the other computers out of the loop?

#39 TangentAudio OFFLINE  

TangentAudio

Chopper Commander

• 217 posts

Posted Wed May 17, 2017 1:51 PM

um because windows and linux could use the function... or maybe a stand alone device directly connected to the Atari takes all the other computers out of the loop?

I'm still hoping to integrate some form of printing into the R:Fi project, though I don't know exactly what form it will take.  (I guess that might make it a P:R:Fi .. or D:P:R:Fi once it has disk capability... Need a better name.)

#40 _The Doctor__ ONLINE  

_The Doctor__

River Patroller

• 2,373 posts

Posted Wed May 17, 2017 2:33 PM

The Atari Alphabet Box (AAB) has got you covered from A to Z!

#41 Starman OFFLINE  

Starman

Chopper Commander

• 183 posts

Posted Wed May 17, 2017 5:04 PM

The source has been available for years. Anyone could have grabbed the source and ported it.

http://www.atarimac.com/downloads.php

And as stated above, people have made an Epson-to-bitmap project.

As for a standalone, that's a whole different animal.

I asked about this about a month or so ago so it seems like there wasn't much interest in it in the first place.

#42 Brentarian OFFLINE  

Brentarian

Moonsweeper

• 312 posts

Posted Wed May 17, 2017 5:35 PM

I've been watching this for several years, but they sure are slow at completing it. http://www.retroprinter.com/

#43 _The Doctor__ ONLINE  

_The Doctor__

River Patroller

• 2,373 posts

Posted Wed May 17, 2017 5:35 PM

plenty of interest... the forum members come and go on monthly multi monthly basis

last time they did something on that site was late 2015

Edited by _The Doctor__, Wed May 17, 2017 5:38 PM.

#44 Starman OFFLINE  

Starman

Chopper Commander

• 183 posts

Posted Thu May 18, 2017 12:26 PM

What are the current ways to capture printer data from the 8-bits, either through emulation or hardware?

The Atari800X can give you a virtual printer, but I don't know if it'll give you the raw data, including any bidi communication (if any).

I have an SIO2PC, but isn't that for the floppy drives only?

#45 MrFish OFFLINE  

MrFish

River Patroller

• 4,165 posts

Posted Thu May 18, 2017 12:36 PM

It's for whatever the software wants to do with the data that it carries.

Edited by MrFish, Thu May 18, 2017 12:37 PM.

#46 DrVenkman OFFLINE  

DrVenkman

River Patroller

• 2,343 posts

Posted Thu May 18, 2017 12:38 PM

What are the current ways to capture printer data from the 8-bits, either through emulation or hardware?

The Atari800X can give you a virtual printer, but I don't know if it'll give you the raw data, including any bidi communication (if any).

Most SIO emulation software running on your modern device can at least capture plain text data from the P: device and dump it to a window. Some even display it in an Atari-like TrueType font.

#47 Starman OFFLINE  

Starman

Chopper Commander

• 183 posts

Posted Fri May 19, 2017 1:35 PM

How are fonts handled in this situation? You can parse the ESC/P file, but you still need the proper fonts. Doesn't that get messy with licensing?

#48 pusakat OFFLINE  

pusakat

Space Invader

• 26 posts

Posted Fri May 19, 2017 11:49 PM

Trying to find epson2ps or similar. Was in netpbm before, but hard to track using phone. Will try again later when at a terminal.

Sent from my Lenovo A536 using Tapatalk

led to a dead end. best i could find was pbmtoepson but no epsontopbm.

#49 Irgendwer OFFLINE  

Irgendwer

Stargunner

• 1,208 posts

Posted Sat May 20, 2017 7:21 AM

"I do it my way...":

DUMP.GIF

BTW: My offer

http://atariage.com/...g/#entry2972554

still stands...

#50 Starman OFFLINE  

Starman

Chopper Commander

• 183 posts

Posted Sat May 20, 2017 11:03 AM

Last night I started working on an ESC/P to BMP project. Wrote the thing in about two hours, at least something that handles Print Shop. I'm just trying to figure out if it's something worth working on because there's the Retroprinter project, Atari800MacX already does ESC/P->PDF, and there's APE. So who exactly would another project benefit? The Altirra project can pull the Retroprinter open source and use that if they really wanted to. I don't want to reinvent the wheel.

EDIT: And then there's the font issue, both the fonts themselves and rendering them. 

Edited by Starman, Sat May 20, 2017 11:06 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: emulation

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users