IGNORED

Bosconian for the 8-bits

MrFish

I keep seeing people say Atari memory was to be 64k and no more... but of course the XE and other planned machines had more.... the XE was a bit of compromise though... paired back from what it was to be... The 800 was designed to allow upgrades... the largest upgrade I had was 1 meg of mosaic type ram and it worked very well... it worked damn near transparently and had separate access... It cost a ridiculous sum of money but did not interfere with the joystick ports or anything else for that matter... there were other upgrades of varying degrees and compatibility... The Atari line should have continued down that path but Mr Cheapskate just used port b and that was that.... I would prefer the complete keyboard and the latched memory select methods to current port b hack of today any day.. As a purist I would have loved to see all four joystick ports stay with the memory and full keyboard the closest production being the 1200XL's keyboard and an addition of the PBI..... as we lament about such things... why didn't the Falcon fold in the TT030? That was easily doable and yet nope... we basically had to add on cards to restore the Falcon to what it was to be in the first place.... another Mr. Cheapskate move... ensuring Atari becoming the JTS hard drive farce.... yeah that may be out of left field but the Atari was originally a very flexible machine.... pushing i/o out of every port and slot... so if someone says the Atari should be limited to what it was originally... I think 1 meg not 48k or 64k! honestly where do they come up with this stuff?

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

I keep seeing people say Atari memory was to be 64k and no more... but of course the XE and other planned machines had more.... the XE was a bit of compromise though... paired back from what it was to be... The 800 was designed to allow upgrades... the largest upgrade I had was 1 meg of mosaic type ram and it worked very well... it worked damn near transparently and had separate access... It cost a ridiculous sum of money but did not interfere with the joystick ports or anything else for that matter... there were other upgrades of varying degrees and compatibility... The Atari line should have continued down that path but Mr Cheapskate just used port b and that was that....

I assume you mean Jack? Yes, he was cheap but the decision to repurpose Port B was made at the 1200XL stage.

so if someone says the Atari should be limited to what it was originally... I think 1 meg not 48k or 64k! honestly where do they come up with this stuff?

1 meg still means most people will only be able to see it in emulation.

My thoughts are:

Do it in 16K if you can.

Then do it in 48K if you can.

Then do it in 64K if you can. (at this point, you're still compatible with most of the market)

Then do it in 128K if you can.

If you need more then 128K, this had better be a darn impressive project.

• Like 6

Just tried this out and it really is amazing. I love that the voice samples are included and can run simultaneously with the graphics. That is very impressive. I'm not very familiar with this game so I spent some time looking at the arcade version and "let's compare" video and this really looks like it could be one of the best out there. Certainly the best of the 8-bit versions. I've been playing on my NTSC 800XL with expanded RAM configured as 130XE and have not had any problems.

• Like 1

My thoughts are:

Do it in 16K if you can.

Then do it in 48K if you can.

Then do it in 64K if you can. (at this point, you're still compatible with most of the market)

Then do it in 128K if you can.

If you need more then 128K, this had better be a darn impressive project.

I agree with your thinking here; and this is why I think utilizing disk and cartridge formats is important.

It's nice to package things in a single binary file, but not at the expense of requiring extended RAM.

Latest version:

I tend to be a perfectionist and I feel that any game port must preserve the feel of the original even when the graphics or other things must be simplified. I'll do things that are more difficult just to get small improvements that may not stand out as obvious tricks because it pains me to throw out a game detail. With all that said, this game is one of the best conversions I've seen. Bravo!

• Like 3

Fix sound after load, and add formation alarm sound.

Changelog:
- Optimization, faster draw missiles and enemy
- enemy multicolor
- better samples quality (now work good on psp)
- formation add (only speech, and radar information)

- fix bugs

(maybe something else but I don't remeber;)

bosconian.xex

Edited by shanti77
  • Like 15

Fix sound after load, and add formation alarm sound.

Changelog:

- Optimization, faster draw missiles and enemy

- enemy multicolor

- better samples quality (now work good on psp)

- formation add (only speech, and radar information)

- fix bugs

(maybe something else but I don't remeber;)

Great work! Really incredible! Formation still not visible, right?

The latest 2 versions freeze as soon as the main game screen comes up on my real PAL Atari with Rambo. I'm assuming the title screen is not supposed to be there either? Because it's not.

Edited by Gunstar

Can anyone test game on real atari?

Bosconian freezes for me before any audio samples are played. I use an NTSC 800XL also with Rambo XL. I've tried 3 or 4 different methods of loading your binary.

I have a stock 800XL but I assumed the latest preview was not for 64K machines.

Incidentally, I was also not able to get Bosonian to run in Altirra 2.90-test15 (version I had installed at the time)

It does run in Atari800Win Plus 4.1

-SteveS

P.S. I'm currently running both emulators via wine/linux until I do a system restore of Windows 7 or replace the HDD. Not yet sure if the latter is needed.

Edited by a8isa1

@tep392: Answer is no.

@a8isa1: I use official Altira 2.81, but I download and run Bosconian on 2.91-test15, I have no problem, maybe you have wrong config. In which moment game freeze, after run before speech "Blast off" ?

@Gunstar,@a8isa1 how you load game?

@a8isa1: I use official Altira 2.81, but I download and run Bosconian on 2.91-test15, I have no problem, maybe you have wrong config. In which moment game freeze, after run before speech "Blast off" ?

@Gunstar,@a8isa1 how you load game?

I used 600XL/800XL with Rambo XL to make Altirra like my real system but I also tried 130XE config with stock memory and 130XE with U1MB because I had that config running for from an earlier session.

For loading on the real 800XL I've tried SIO2BSD (on a Raspberry Pi) running ATRs with PicoBoot405, MyPicoDOS405, and also MyDOS "L" (load binary). I've tried the same on my SDrive plus SDrive's own binary file loader.

In Altirra I used the same ATRs.

However, I just now tried Altirra's File->Boot Image selecting bosconian.xex and it works. I'm now using Altirra-2.90-test27.

Sorry for the premature complaint. Usually of the above 4 methods on my real 800XL at least one of them works. I'll try other loaders.

-SteveS

For loading on the real 800XL I've tried SIO2BSD (on a Raspberry Pi) running ATRs with PicoBoot405, MyPicoDOS405, and also MyDOS "L" (load binary).

Have you tried building RespeQt on your RPi? Takes about ten minutes to compile on an RPi2, less on a 3, longer on a Zero. The .XEX loader works.

Have you tried building RespeQt on your RPi? Takes about ten minutes to compile on an RPi2, less on a 3, longer on a Zero. The .XEX loader works.

no. The Pi is headless and keyboardless and all I have is 2GB SD cards from SDrive and uIEC devices, so no x11. Pi is only a model 1B