IGNORED

Turbografx-16 titles launching on the Wii U Virtual Console

Atariboy

Quite a surprise for North American fans as the Wii U enters its twilight. Japan has had the PC Engine for years on their Virtual Console, but it looked like this was going to pass us by despite its presence on the original Virtual Console for the Wii.

http://www.perfectly-nintendo.com/north-america-virtual-console-first-turbografx-16pc-engine-hitting-na-tomorrow/

The first set of releases is R-Type, New Adventure Island, and Bonk's Adventure. Not sure what the upgrade fee is for existing Wii VC owners and since I never bought these three, it won't be available for me to check. But I assume that Nintendo will maintain that feature.

Too bad that the selection will never approach the original's and I'd be very surprised to see anything new join the lineup. But I'll be upgrading what I can since it will still be nice for save states, off-screen play, and Wii U Pro Controller support.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

Had a brain freeze at first since I was thinking $3 was a great deal and was surprised about the comments. Then I remembered that they ran $1-$2 previously, with this $1 over even the N64 upgrade price...

I have around 8 games here that could potentially qualify. Assuming 2-3 join the Wii U lineup like Neutopia by the time all is said and done, I'll probably still upgrade, but I don't like this at all. And it doesn't bode so well for the NX, either. I don't expect any real backwards compatibility for the Wii U or 3DS there, but I was hoping that we'd at least have the option to pay a small fee to unlock past Virtual Console purchases tied to our account as they're added to the NX.

While I think Virtual Console purchases have always been overpriced, the upgrade fee being 10-20% of the original price seemed just about right on the Wii U for that feature. But I'm not paying what basically amounts to 50% of the asking price if this is the new trend for the future.

Yeah, it's late in the system's life (or at least it seems like it), so it's an odd choice. I'm personally surprised they never bothered with Genesis games first.

I'm surprised that they at least didn't port Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection over to the Wii U if they weren't going to add the Genesis to the Wii U's own Virtual Console.

This one judging by my local Wal-Mart is the definition of a sales perennial. I see the copies for the PS3/360 diminish to 1-2 each in the bargain selection and the next time I look when I'm in there again, it's fully restocked again with 8-10 for each system. Has been doing this for years now and seems to be a very steady seller.

I think it would've been a good fit for the Wii U.

Edited by Atariboy

I believe you can install the home brew channel on the Wii side. What I read uses one of disc based exploits, but I don't remember the details.

Not really into trying it on the Wii U though.... don't want to brick it.

I used the smash bros exploit on the Wii side of the wii u. Pretty sure it's not patchable in the sandboxed vWii but I had similar worries. I certainly wouldn't do anything on the wii u side. With wiis being so cheap it's easy to go that route as it is.

Apparently it's really hard to port 8 and 16 bit titles to the eShop because I think the EShop on the Wii was weak and the Wii U one is even worse. SO MANY good 8 to 16 bit games they never bothered to make available. I gave up on it and just play the titles on the original systems...

It's emulation, so it's more a question of the need for clearances, ESRB review costs, employee costs to prepare things like a digital manual and do some QA tests to ensure there aren't emulation issues, etc.

The clearances and rights issue be one reason why the upgrade for the TG16 games may be more than a Nintendo published game. I assume for all third party games, they have to seek the rights to publish them again on the Wii U side of things.

The emulation part may be trivial at this point as over 40 TG16 titles are available on the Wii U side of things for Japan, but I guess the PC Engine probably had more success there.

• 6 months later...

Wonder how long they will keep the Wii U eShop and VC open? I thought they would have stopped all together with the Switch coming, but that slow trickle of games keeps coming. I think Star Fox 64 and a couple of DS titles were released post Switch announcement.

I might pick up those two... Gradius and Bomberman 94. Never got them on the Wii VC.

• 4 weeks later...

yea... there has been a slow trickle of games that is still being released. Lately, it has been N64 games. Someone must still be buying these things to make it worth their while.

Wonder though if each game has to be packaged with an emulator or is their one emulator that says plays all N64 games you can buy. If it is the former, I don't expect too much more in the way of releases.