Photo

Hello, world!

3 replies to this topic

#1 Xenomech OFFLINE  

Xenomech

Combat Commando

• 2 posts

Posted Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:37 AM

Hello.  I used to have a 2600 when I was a kid, and have many great memories playing it for hours on end. As a .NET programmer in adult life, I read Racing the Beam a few years ago (which was great!) and figured I'd finally give programming hardware that's as old as I am a shot.  I've spent the past month reading up on Atari 2600 programming, mostly following Andrew Davie's great (if sometimes buggy) tutorials.

I've attached my first Atari 2600 program.  I coded it all by hand in assembler (no batari Basic for me -- I wanted as raw an experience as possible).  All it does is display a Canada flag on the screen, but I feel it's an achievement given the arcane intricacies and complexities involved in Atari 2600 programming -- it's all so very different from the modern programming I'm used to.

I hope to continue to learn how to tame this ancient beast to do my will, with the ultimate goal being the creation of a simple, two player game (probably spaceships shooting each other or something).

Attached Files

#2 SpiceWare OFFLINE  

SpiceWare

Quadrunner

• 10,953 posts
  • Medieval Mayhem

Posted Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:54 AM

You may like to check out my tutorial Collect, it covers writing a 2K game from scratch.

#3 Xenomech OFFLINE  

Xenomech

Combat Commando

• Topic Starter
  • 2 posts

Posted Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:36 PM

You may like to check out my tutorial Collect, it covers writing a 2K game from scratch.

Thanks!  I'll definitely check it out.

#4 MacrosCode OFFLINE  

MacrosCode

Star Raider

• 55 posts

Posted Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:23 AM

Your flag demo is a pretty nice first attempt... and a well documented source!

I can also recommend SpiceWare's tutorial Collect. Everything is explained to create a full working game!

@SpiceWare: Thanks for your effort to do such a beginners guide! Was really helpful to understand how the 2600 works.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users