IGNORED

Nintendo Classic Mini announced

I think that 30in1 knockoff clone hasn't been opened up for changes yet has it? I know that the language change and 4 per game save/load states are window dressing, plus the menu coloring is just off a slight bit. The menu has a bug where it lags hard if the menu music loops. I didn't think a full sound channel was missing but that it was muffled/off key and just poorly coded. Also Kirby and SMB2 I think it was, both are the lame PAL versions so they run fine but the music is fast. Did I miss anything or was more of it jacked up?

Well before them there was the old Flash2Advance device, had like 256mbit of space on it and the card would get slid into a plastic dock which had a USB cable off the back. You had to run some 32bit WInXP era software to pass the games to the thing, but once they were on there it ran great (I had one.) :) The main problem with the pre-microSD card era stuff is the bootloaders on the PC side, once the software loses support and then some change hits the OS which causes it to fail you're basically screwed unless some weird fan (or you have the talent) makes a modern loader for it.

...and flojo I agree completely it would be tricky if it is out there.

Returns in 2018. I wonder if we'll see any changes?

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20170912005798/en/

One possibility is that it could be upped in price and include a second controller. Another is a restyling modeled after the top loader to get the collector's sect to double dip for another shelf ornament. I sort of hope that they don't do any minor adjustments to the game lineup though, since I don't want to be tempted just because they swapped out a few games (15-20 new games like Castlevania III would be something I'd go for though).

As one of the lucky ones that was able to buy this last year, I wouldn't mind getting the chance to buy a second controller for $9.99. So hopefully they'll have that base covered with a fresh run of standalone controllers. It's not safe buying these off Amazon, Ebay, and so on since the bootleggers ran rampant. So it either has to be direct from a mainstream retailer, or via Nintendo's online store itself.

And the timing of the announcement and relaunch hopefully means that they'll have something new up their sleeves for next year for a Fall release. I would think that if there wasn't going to be a third product released in this line, that they'd save this rerelease to fill that void next year.

Edited by Atariboy

Well knowing them most likely not. There's no money in it for them to make another new volume, but if it were changed it would be a loss of game license on the existing model.

I think what we have here, if you also read further -- now not a maybe but confirmed that the SNES model will sell well into next year too, is they want to fix their rep and screw over scalper garbage losers too.

They're worried a lot about their reputation and don't need a PR nightmare. The worst thing they could do now is infuriate buyers during the holiday and into next year riding on the Switch first Christmas and post-seasonal sales. If buyers, and many Nintendo types take stuff too personal and get vindictive, feel they're being screwed and slighted yet again this year by Nintendo they'll fear people blowing up horribly negative ad stuff that could jack up existing system sales and ruin the positive trajectory off the Switch killing it if people pull out like with WiiU.

It's a real calculated move and a smart one from what it appears to be here bringing that NES back along with the SNES being on the table up front first. We already knew they were withholding stock of the SNES one and also Switch too stopping preorders at one and limiting what (switch) goes to th stores currently so they're not infuriating buyers wanting that hot christmas item with lots of unreasonable sold out signs.

-- also like you would love to try and get a real controller too even if I have a knockoff one --

And you maybe right, perhaps they'll stick with these and re-issue them once a year to make more money in a sort of cycle, then add another to the mix somewhat like atgames does at times. Maybe with the roll over of the tech and stuff N64 could be next with 20 on that one too, or maybe a dedicated LOCKED handheld that does 8bit GB/GB Color games with a nice poppy screen like that knockoff GB Color device from china.

I also imagine that it will be a straight rerelease, but I also would not be shocked at all if they mix it up a bit.

The casuals by and large weren't able to buy one of these last year. It was the more determined fan, the collectors, and so on that accounted for most of the first production run (i.e., the types that won't buy this, spend a couple of hours with it, and soon return to the NES just being a distant memory).

So I bet that 1/3 of their customers from last year would double dip for an otherwise unchanged NES Classic Rev. 2 to set on their shelf next to last year's model to keep it company, just by copying this for their boxart and restyling the exterior plastic on the unit.

106toploaderfront.jpg

And they'd still be able to go after all the untapped demand from last year without touching a single line of code, licensing any further games, going with different internal components, etc.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

I could see that, but I would think better of them for not doing it. All it would do is cause an absolute panic and re-run of last year because now anyone with the old style will want the new and scalpers will be all over it like the plague. You'll get more or less the same large amount of shut out casuals and core consumers who refuse to pay up to scalper garbage and then they'll rage and blame Nintendo which is what they really don't want right now.

Personally I'd think the better of them if they could work something to sell an addon zapper device that works basically like the joycons for Switch do and the Wiimote. Then throw all those fun black box gun games on there. That would be a hit. The system can't be updated though and I doubt you could store the games on a zapper and have them pull somehow through the controller port up front.

Edited by Tanooki

Too bad that they don't have a more interesting Zapper line. Otherwise, I could see a self-contained Zapper being a possibility.

HDMI would be where the controller cord would be and a mini-USB port could be present to recharge the internal battery (Or run directly via it, if you don't mind two cables). But other than Duck Hunt, there's not a lot of sentiment attached to the Zapper lineup it seems.

Edited by Atariboy

There's no technical or business reason they couldn't manufacture more of last year's model. Sell it via online store, and one to a customer/cc# per month. Everyone that would want one could get one. They wouldn't even need to worry about distribution and shelf space and all crap that come with retail.

• Like 1

There's no technical or business reason they couldn't manufacture more of last year's model. Sell it via online store, and one to a customer/cc# per month. Everyone that would want one could get one. They wouldn't even need to worry about distribution and shelf space and all crap that come with retail.

If this were the case, why would AtGames be able to sell so many Genesis and Atari packages? Retail seems like a necessary part of getting this stuff out.

I'm most curious about the timing of the new one. Is that just a slow period for new games, or where it would have the least competition for newer things?

I think that the lack of NES on the shelf has helped energize the sale of those little LCD arcade machines at Walmart. Those are getting a lot of interest from retro groups on FB nowadays. #GoFrogger ;)

• Like 2

I would too, yet it's also amusing to see delusional types still not believe this is a reality for next year. Guess it makes it hard to scalp when a mass of them are incoming! Hah. :D

I will believe that a lot of them are coming when I see one in a store.

Its very sad, it would be easy to sell millions of these if they were actually on a retail shelf somewhere.

Very simple but not my business or money.

• Like 1

What I would do is buy several of them, then bundle them with some crap that I couldn't sell on ebay, then claim something like, "In this bundle you're only paying $60 for the NES Classic, and another $200 for the broken Genesis controller." WHAT A DEAL!

I understand your sarcasm, it makes sense!