IGNORED

Nintendo Classic Mini announced

So, I finally scored me one of these. Should be arriving today.

Any suggestions on a good 3rd party controller? Reviews are all over the map. Just need a plain wired controller, nothing fancy. Would prefer a Nintendo one, of course, but I don't think it'll get used much.

You might already have one by now, but I meant to answer this way sooner :) ...Recently I broke down and bought a Nintendo branded one for $20 on ebay...I may have paid double, but it was only $10 more...

Anyway before that I bought some Emio controllers and they are Great! One is just like the Nintendo gamepad and the other kind is like a high quality microswitched version of the NES Advantage...I really like them both.

I also bought some cheap Chinese knockoffs and I don't recommend going that route :skull:

You might already have one by now, but I meant to answer this way sooner :) ...Recently I broke down and bought a Nintendo branded one for $20 on ebay...I may have paid double, but it was only $10 more...

Anyway before that I bought some Emio controllers and they are Great! One is just like the Nintendo gamepad and the other kind is like a high quality microswitched version of the NES Advantage...I really like them both.

I also bought some cheap Chinese knockoffs and I don't recommend going that route :skull:

Yeah, the cheap Chinese ones are tempting when the legit ones are $20-$30. Then there are brands like the IMW on Amazon that seem slightly more legit... but could just be the same Chinese garbage.

• Like 1

What are the best extension cables are best to get?

SNES Classic Controller Extension Cable 3M / 10ft (2-PACK), i-Kawachi SNES Extension Power Cord for Super Nintendo SNES Classic Edition Controller (2017) and Mini NES Classic Edition (2016) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07114C4TL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_ciVEBb38AT540

Edited by Oldschool80skid

How about that Hyperkin NES classic controller? I'm not a huge fan of Hyperkin, but they Seem to be trying harder lately...

I have no direct experience with that controller, but I like Hyperkin in a general sense. And I like their Genesis controllers I bought. At any rate for $14, it seems hard to go wrong...Of course, buying an Actual Nintendo branded one for $10 if you can ever find one would be even better ! :-D

One more quick note about Emio controllers (Since I recommended them above), I liked both of their offerings for the NES Classic, but I did Not care for their SNES Classic controller (as I mentioned long ago in the other thread, but felt it might be worth mentioning again)...The D-Pad was raised a bit and just a little squirrely. It wasn't horrible, it just wasn't as good as Nintendo's, and definitely not as good as their NES Classic controllers for some reason.

How about that Hyperkin NES classic controller? I'm not a huge fan of Hyperkin, but they Seem to be trying harder lately...

Dunno about the specific model, but I am not a fan of the Scout SNES Classic controller. It's mushy and the D pad seems to hit diagonals at times if you're not super careful.

edit: I have this Yok controller and it's nicer than it had any right to be. It takes a pair of AAA batteries, but I played through all of Final Fantasy 1 on it and never had to change them out. That's like 18-20 hours of gameplay. I wouldn't have bought it had I realized it used disposable batteries, though. It won't get much use now that I've gotten the bluetooth controller mod from 8bitdo.

That Emio NES Edge looks exactly like the Hyperkin Edge. Even has the same name. Probably the same thing? I mean, sure, both are total clones of the NES Advantage (which I loved as a kid) but it could be the same OEM for both. They both even come with cheat/hint books.

Edited by derFunkenstein

• 2 weeks later...

I think Nintendo needs to take the ATGames way of life kind of with their systems. Not so much the yearly revision as that would be maddening and wasteful, but keep them out there every year. Cycle up in the 3rd quarter and funnel in mass for the seasons through new year or so, then throttle back to a minimum or stop for a time, then re-pump the stuff out. Every year or two, add another device. N64 is impractical with that big ass wonky expensive controller they'd need to supply at least 2 of, but their entirely Gameboy, Color, Advance line could get strung out over 3-6 years of linear or staggered releases no problem, perhaps even the original DS after that. A nice closed handheld wouldn't be a bad thing.

• Like 1

I think Nintendo needs to take the ATGames way of life kind of with their systems. Not so much the yearly revision as that would be maddening and wasteful, but keep them out there every year. Cycle up in the 3rd quarter and funnel in mass for the seasons through new year or so, then throttle back to a minimum or stop for a time, then re-pump the stuff out. Every year or two, add another device. N64 is impractical with that big ass wonky expensive controller they'd need to supply at least 2 of, but their entirely Gameboy, Color, Advance line could get strung out over 3-6 years of linear or staggered releases no problem, perhaps even the original DS after that. A nice closed handheld wouldn't be a bad thing.

Dear Nintendo,

Do not listen to Tanooki in regards to the N64 controller. It would be a great delight if those controllers would be made available.

And I'd like a pony.

I would hope they didn't pay attention to that, but they are notoriously cheap.

You would need a substantially larger box because you can't shrink the N64 controller, and you'd have to bundle 2 of them and they are more expensive due to design than the NES/SNES are so you have box, packing materials, and controllers big larger, more complex and more expensive. Outside of that, nothing, it's just another plastic mold like the other two. I'd love it if they did it, but they'd also need to really kick the can with the developers who are still around that supported it because unless MS decided to act right and let some Rare games hit the device, it would come up short unless they could get Konami/Hudson on board as they had a solid presence, as did Midway (WB so that's doable), and also kind of Capcom at least with Mega Man 64 being workable not sure they'd go for RE2 if kids (and they would) have access. N64 is kind of a licensing trap and their own first party titles alone wouldn't cut it.

• Like 1

Weirdest thing just happened. I have my mini hooked up to the tv usb port. I was playing Super Mario Brothers 3. And all of a sudden in the middle of agame thescrern goes black and it shuts off. I was using split screen watching tv. Tv was still on but the game shutoff. Red light went off but button was stil pressed in. Pressing power off and on again did nothing. Second time red light came on for 2 seconds and then went dead. Still no game. After un plugging the power cord and hdmi cord and plugging it back in it works now. Picture steady for 10 minutes now. How weird.

Went back to target today and saw 15 in the case. I guess they are keeping their promise to make more this time.

I guess there really is a first time for everything! :lol: My local Target stores have a profusion of NES and SNES Classic Editions too. I keep debating whether to buy a SNES Classic Edition or just get an actual SNES and a nice condition copy of Star Fox for relatively the same price, since Star Fox and Star Fox 2 would be the only games I'd really want it for and I'd rather play it on my CRT TV if given the choice.

Edited by Jin

I saw the NES Mini in a local store for the very first time a few weeks ago. It was at the drugstore next to my local gym. It's still there, with a price tag of around 80$CAN.

Too late, Nintendo, I got an Analogue NT Mini ages ago. :P

Still though wouldnt you want the cute little NES? Come on :)
  • Like 1

I see both of the NES/SNES CE around here, but never in big supply but I'm not a retail regular either. When I am in and it's usually a weekend I'll find like 1-3 of either or both in a case with room to spare so they do seem to be moving steadily still. I'm curious to see how it goes in another couple months trying to keep up. Now people should be able to honor Christmas gifts this time around instead of nothing or feeding a troll.