IGNORED

Looking for general help, or artist, or advice on Rampage remake

Dmitry

My thought on the original rampage is it could be improved if instead of using the players to create 1 color sprite monsters, that you instead use most of the players to be color masks for the buildings

Since a unique feature of Atari is the players can span the height of the screen, and the have quadruple width mode, I think they are perfect for adding color to buildings. 3 fat buildings and up to 3 skinny (using missiles)....

Then the monsters become software sprites. 1 player to add color to the software sprite as well.

The mockup uses 6 colors so a player mask would have to be used to draw this as well.

I'm thinking of doing this for 2017 abbuc contest....if anyone wants to team up.

rampage

• Like 6

Yep,

sounds Like a great idea - but you cannot take part in the Abbuc Software Contest with this, unless you have permission from the copyright holder to create this update of Rampage. Afaik, the original copyright holder was Bally Midway (allthough the A8 version was from Activision), they went bankrupt in 2009 (chapter 11) and most of their rights were bought by Warner Bros. Not sure, if this also included rampage, but good luck asking Warner Bros. or Time-Warner for permission... ;-)

Some excerpts from ASC rules:

2.3 Also allowed as entries are: further development of an already released program, if the program is essentially extended or changed; Conversions from other computer platforms, if only own code is used and existing brand names / titles are changed for the Atari 8 Bit version.

2.5 The author has to provide a written confirmation, that he owns all rights for the submitted work. If the submission contains material of which the author does not own the copyright, he also has to provide a confirmation of the original copyright holder which proves, that the original copyright holder allowed to use that material.

• Like 2

Hi Dmitry,

Many others have "improved" games like Ms. Pac Man, Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr... the first that come to my mind now. Do they hold authorization from the original companies?

I truly hope you forget about the competition and go on with this challenging project.

Regards,

- Y -

I'll message you soon. I did on the past for a 2monsters per screen and then was a little stuck when they punch but that is, I think workable.

It's in one charset the top in hi-res, another for all buildings and the road the other.

It's based on the NES that is in 32Bytes wide so buildings are less wider and then monsters also that turns better to have them using PMGs.

Here's the topic here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/221322-rampage-licensed-by-me-to-a-coder/

:)

:thumbsup:

Edited by José Pereira
  • Like 2

Ah, I see that there was some work on this before. I didn't initially understand. I think what I need to do in fairness is leave the rampage mod alone and simply work on a rampage inspired game for the ABBUC contest. I certainly don't want to duplicate effort.

I gave it some thought, I'm going with antic e and software sprites rather than mod the original. and it'll take a new name and some new gameplay in order to be an original submission.

It will have a lizard, ape and wolf... Will not be offended whatever ABBUC decides

Ok so as not to tease I will take the development offline since it's got another year anyway. Thanks all

• Like 1