IGNORED

NEED HELP! Atari 2600 AV Problem

AL01

Hello. I am need of help! I have recently modded my 2600 to use AV and although I am getting color, the screen flickers like nuts...

This mod required the removal of the resistor R209 and the transistor Q201/2 - I had to jump R209 to get color so I though maybe R209 was at fault - but tit was dumb luck that I did not throw R209 away so I tested it out, and the same thing happened so I know that R209 is not at fault. I decided that maybe the TIA is at fault so I bough a TIA Chip and it did not make a difference.

Please help...

Thanks!

The Flashing on Combat:post-47255-0-56107500-1468769309_thumb.jpg

The Flashing on Pole Positn(-:post-47255-0-64109300-1468769330_thumb.jpg

My board (If that helps):post-47255-0-41801900-1468769322_thumb.jpg

• 8 months later...

A few died. They were on the board. I had to readjust some of my solder jobs to. Just keep in mind that these Ataris are a good 35 years old. Most of them merely need new capacitors and resistors. Impressive for such an old console.

Some were by the wire that I needed to connect to that area of resistors. I replaced the crystal with a new one and I replaced all of the capacitors and 2 chiclets. I highly recommend the AV mod because apparently, (after talking to somebody who repairs game systems for a living), many RF modulators on the 2600 are starting to die out.

Specifically, I checked every resistor - whichever ones were dead, I replaced. I had to eventually send the board to a pro though, but I do have a decent idea of what he had done in order to solve this odd problem. He pretty much did what I was able to do, just at a more advanced level of proficiency.

Edited by AL01