IGNORED

FlashROM99 16k Images

wdatkinson

Greetings Members!

I've recently purchased a TI99/4A as it was my very first computer. I've ordered, built and tested the FlashROM99 board. My issue now seems to be locating images that will run on a stock 16k 4A. I've searched through multiple threads via the Google and on this forum, and everything seems to be for 4A's with the 32k add-on.

Any advice/pointers toward a repository of 16k compatible images? So far the only one I've been able to locate is PitFall. I remember running TI Invaders, Car Wars, Munchman, Tombstone City, etc., on my stock TI when I was a kid.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

Glad to be here!

I'd found the post you referenced, but that's where I started discovering the 32k requirement.... Seems like most of them are 32k.... I read something about an EA5 conversion making a 16k image require 32k, but I'm not yet familiar with the various image versions, so that's why I'm here!

Greetings Members!

I've recently purchased a TI99/4A as it was my very first computer. I've ordered, built and tested the FlashROM99 board. My issue now seems to be locating images that will run on a stock 16k 4A.

Many of the images in the Classic_Carts.zip located << HERE >>

Just try the ones shown on your PC as 8K or 16K and see what you like or what works.

FYI - Barrage, the current contest game works fine.

post-35324-0-02452600-1468799386_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi 'wdatkinson', I am in the same boat as yourself (plain / standard TI-99/4a).
I eventually sorted out a decent selection of files that appear to all work fine.

I hope nobody minds if I post a zip of them.

This provides almost 5 full pages / screens on the FlashROM menu.

It is a nice 'Starter Pack' for those without any memory expansion.

Cheers,

Shane

FlashROM99 software that does not require 32k.zip

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

Updated this a little.

Removed a duplicate file and added a few others and a couple of demos.

Below is the file list (5 full pages on the FlashRom99 plus 4 files on the 6th page).

If anybody has anything not on this list then please share or let me know and I will add to this list (must run on a stock standard TI-99/4A

post-37708-0-50509300-1470302156_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Shane

FlashROM99 software that does not require 32k v2.zip

Edited by 00WReX
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Updated this a little.

Removed a duplicate file and added a few others and a couple of demos.

Below is the file list (5 full pages on the FlashRom99 plus 4 files on the 6th page).

If anybody has anything not on this list then please share or let me know and I will add to this list (must run on a stock standard TI-99/4A

attachicon.gifFileList.jpg

Cheers,

Shane

attachicon.gifFlashROM99 software that does not require 32k v2.zip

Feel free to throw in my new musick program done in extended basic. It does not require 32k as it's made for tape transfers and must be under 12k for such a thing. Here's the link but do scroll to the bottom for the **FINAL** version which is 1.6 at the moment.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/255396-new-musick-program/

Edited by Sinphaltimus

Feel free to throw in my new musick program done in extended basic. It does not require 32k as it's made for tape transfers and must be under 12k for such a thing. Here's the link but do scroll to the bottom for the **FINAL** version which is 1.6 at the moment.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/255396-new-musick-program/

FlashROM-99 cannot store or run Extended Basic programs. It can only be used for loading 8KiB – 32KiB, bank-switched ROM programs.

...lee

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Guys,

I have build up this nice device myself by seeking for components and outsourcing the PCB to Elecrow. The build up is pretty much straightforward and the ATMEL programming + fuse programming was done according to instructions.

Now the only thing I can get from the device once inserted into the slot and the TI99 powered up is a 2x blinking of the led :( . The troubleshooting state a 2x led blinking is a bad or corrupted filesystem. I have tried 4 different SD card brand and sizes all in FAT32 format but still the same.

Any of you had this problem using a particular SD card brand or has solved it in any way? Does anyone can confirm a working SD card brand?

I have 3 areas where to look at : the 377 TLL is not an HCT but a LS instead (was not available at time of purchase) and should work but not tested by Ralph. The second is the Arduino SD Module I got from E-bay and it may be faulty. (it as a 3.3v and a 5v pin input and as far as I understood only the 5v input is used by the Flashrom99 PCB). Third one can just be all my SD cards not compatible even if this is really an unlucky situation. :-o

Thanks

Rick

Hi Guys,

I have build up this nice device myself by seeking for components and outsourcing the PCB to Elecrow. The build up is pretty much straightforward and the ATMEL programming + fuse programming was done according to instructions.

Now the only thing I can get from the device once inserted into the slot and the TI99 powered up is a 2x blinking of the led :( . The troubleshooting state a 2x led blinking is a bad or corrupted filesystem. I have tried 4 different SD card brand and sizes all in FAT32 format but still the same.

Any of you had this problem using a particular SD card brand or has solved it in any way? Does anyone can confirm a working SD card brand?

I have 3 areas where to look at : the 377 TLL is not an HCT but a LS instead (was not available at time of purchase) and should work but not tested by Ralph. The second is the Arduino SD Module I got from E-bay and it may be faulty. (it as a 3.3v and a 5v pin input and as far as I understood only the 5v input is used by the Flashrom99 PCB). Third one can just be all my SD cards not compatible even if this is really an unlucky situation. :-o

Thanks

Rick

likely its the reader.. that was my biggest problem building these until I found the ones that work correctly, the reader must have a good voltage regulator on board to pull down the 5v from the ti to 3.3v, also I've seen consoles that pushed more than 5v to the cart port which causes the reader to be unhappy as well

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 5/30/2020 at 9:42 PM, pixelpedant said:

Yeah, you'll have lots to explore even just in the 8K domain.  And the 32K sidecar (or a NanoPEB) may have appeal down the line, if you ever want to open yourself up to the remainder of the library. 

First, I have to say, your YouTube channel is amazing!  Love to watch you.  But I am also confused.  I have FinalGROM99 without a 32k expansion.  I have been able to get the following games running: Frogger, Popeye, Qbert, Tutankham, and others.  

Am I misunderstanding something?  I want a list of games that will work without 32k expansion.  Why are these games not included but seem to work for me?  Are there others I can try without going through them all one by one to see what works?

• Like 1

The cartridges built and sold during and shortly after the withdrawal of TI from the Home Computer market should all work on the FinalGROM99. This is because it has both the ROM and the GROM parts of the cartridges stored in its memory. The problems will be with the majority of the homebrew cartridges produced after the year 2000 or so (there are a few earlier ones as well, but most of the problems show up with cartridges written after that date). Most of these homebrew cartridges were designed to use the cartridge memory as a temporary storage area. When you launch the cartridge, it copies the data from the cartridge into your 32K memory space (and there are even a couple that require SAMS memory instead, up to 1M). The program then runs from the regular 32K memory space--not from the cartridge. Pretty much anything created with a compiler follows this model, as do most of the games written and posted here on AtariAge. There are exceptions: any game written by @sometimes99erwill run fine from your FinalGROM99, as they are designed to run out of cartridge space, as are Turmoil by @PeteE and Pitfall! by @retroclouds. As to modern utilities that also run out of the cartridge space: RXB2020 by @RXB, Explorer 1.1 by @FALCOR4, TurboForth by @Willsy, and FBForth by @Lee Stewart

• Like 3

4 hours ago, jeff20 said:

First, I have to say, your YouTube channel is amazing!  Love to watch you.  But I am also confused.  I have FinalGROM99 without a 32k expansion.  I have been able to get the following games running: Frogger, Popeye, Qbert, Tutankham, and others.  

Am I misunderstanding something?  I want a list of games that will work without 32k expansion.  Why are these games not included but seem to work for me?  Are there others I can try without going through them all one by one to see what works?

Thank you!  And that response was addressed to someone using a FlashROM99, rather than a FinalGROM.  That earlier flashcart does not support GROM carts, so a collection of cartridge images had been adapted to run from the 32K.  Almost all cartridge games will work from the FinalGROM99 without requiring the 32K.  Only a select few modern homebrew carts (e.g., Flying Shark by Rasmus) require it.  The FlashROM99 itself was the special case being addressed there, and this workaround is not relevant, for the FinalGROM99. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pixelpedant said:

Thank you!  And that response was addressed to someone using a FlashROM99, rather than a FinalGROM.  That earlier flashcart does not support GROM carts, so a collection of cartridge images had been adapted to run from the 32K.  Almost all cartridge games will work from the FinalGROM99 without requiring the 32K.  Only a select few modern homebrew carts (e.g., Flying Shark by Rasmus) require it.  The FlashROM99 itself was the special case being addressed there, and this workaround is not relevant, for the FinalGROM99. 

Is it strange I am reading your response in your YouTube voice?  hahaha 

Ok, thanks for the replies.  I am even more confused.  I could not get classics like Parsec, Hustle, TI Invaders to work with FinalGROM99.  I assumed it was the 32k issue.  Am I just using the wrong images?

EDIT: Disregard the question.  I figured it out.  I was using the wrong files.  G for grom makes sense.  Duh.

Edited by jeff20